Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM

Default Trout flies

Any tips for some good flies that are succesful with trout?
Old 07-02-2013, 08:46 AM

where to begin...
Old 07-02-2013, 09:09 AM

Here are 6 basics for trout:

Wooly Bugger

Pheasant Tail Nymph

Adams

Elk Hair Caddis

Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear

Stimulator
Old 07-02-2013, 10:11 AM

try a pink Ufo chaser around size 14
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark284 View Post
Any tips for some good flies that are succesful with trout?
(assuming your post isnt trolling)
To make an analogy, that's like going online and asking pickup lines that are successful with women. Luckily youre at the alberta outdoorsmen forums where everyone has an opinion.....and pickupline im sure! lol

All flies have applications different times of year in different places. If youre fishing a river stream or creek match whatever bugs are hatching.

If youre fishing lakes then wooly buggers, leeches, and chironomids are a good place to start.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:26 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
(assuming your post isnt trolling)
To make an analogy, that's like going online and asking pickup lines that are successful with women. Luckily youre at the alberta outdoorsmen forums where everyone has an opinion.....and pickupline im sure! lol

All flies have applications different times of year in different places. If youre fishing a river stream or creek match whatever bugs are hatching.

If youre fishing lakes then wooly buggers, leeches, and chironomids are a good place to start.
Haha I think I need pickup lines to !!! Haha
Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 AM

'77 is largely right. Some patterns (like woolly bugger and muddler minnow, both of which work very well) can be fished year-round, since they imitate baitfish. I find that microleech patterns also work for much of the year. Nymphs will also work throughout the season (Hare's ear and Prince are classics, and work well), but with the caveat that size matters. Early in the spring, you want to use small nymphs (#18 or even 20); as you get through July, size 14 or 12 are generally more successful.
For dries, it depends a lot on what's happening. The expression "match the hatch" is more than just a rhyme. With that being said, I carry large numbers of certain flies. First among these are Elk hair caddis. Different colours and sizes can be used to match the caddis flies that are hatching on a particular day. Also high on my list are mayfly imitators, such as green drake and Adams. Stimulators can be used to imitate a variety of things, including stoneflies, large mayflies, and craneflies; and a pattern that I have fallen in love with, this year, in the Royal Wulff, which doesn't seem to imitate anything, but sits high in the water, and brookies, at least, seem to go nuts over it (though this applies to the streams I fish, and may not apply elsewhere).

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor