Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2013, 06:40 AM

Default Derailers not installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLAKER View Post
Setting brakes is NOT the only way to secure train cars on a railway siding. There is always the possiblity of railway cars left on a railway siding to start moving onto an active track if the brakes are not holding because of the grade of the siding and in the case of empty box cars by strong winds.

It is good practice and if not mandatory for the railway line to install derailers at both ends of parked and unattended train cars.

A derailer is portable and is locked to the track a short distance from the train at both ends and will do exactly as it is named. A derailer will kick the rail car or locomotive's wheel off of the track and so by stopping it immediately.

Just why wasn't a derailer used when the train was to be left unattended? Was it to great of an effort for the single crew member? Since the train had some length to it this may have been quite possibly the reason.
Of course the practice of installing derailers apply to any train cars whether on a siding or on a mainline. Unattended trains have to be secured and protected from moving on rail tracks because of possible brake failure. A slight grade or strong winds can cause rail cars to move. A derailer is a very positive method of stopping uncontrolled movement of train cars before momentum can be obtained.

Also when you have a steep grade on the rail line like this one had, someone should have thought thinks through better.

Last edited by LSLAKER; 07-10-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Of course the practice of installing derailers apply to any train cars whether on a siding or on a mainline. Unattended trains have to be secured and protected from moving on rail tracks because of possible brake failure. A slight grade or strong winds can cause rail cars to move. A derailer is a very positive method of stopping uncontrolled movement of train cars before momentum can be obtained.

Also when you have a steep grade on the rail line like this one had, someone should have thought thinks through better.
I understand what your saying, but it is simply not practical to carry a derail around. The first thing is they are fairly heavy. Next thing is they need to be secured to the track by several spikes to ensure they are not removed by the public (kids, etc) and can be locked. Derails are already installed in tracks where cars are left for extended periods of time (several days or even weeks). A portable derail is only good when there is someone present all the time to make sure nobody removes it.

When there are enough handbrakes, the cars will not move, irregardless of heavy winds or grade.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 07-10-2013, 09:43 AM

Default Railway Derailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
I understand what your saying, but it is simply not practical to carry a derail around. The first thing is they are fairly heavy. Next thing is they need to be secured to the track by several spikes to ensure they are not removed by the public (kids, etc) and can be locked. Derails are already installed in tracks where cars are left for extended periods of time (several days or even weeks). A portable derail is only good when there is someone present all the time to make sure nobody removes it.

When there are enough handbrakes, the cars will not move, irregardless of heavy winds or grade.
Next time I am at a railway siding that has derailers installed I will take a closer look at them. I just thought that they are easy to install. I did notice that there is a lock on them. Can they be unlocked and then flipped over and out of service to allow a train by and then flipped back into service again and relocked?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 AM

Default train brakes not like truck brakes

Contrary to what I've assumed in the past, train brakes do not function like truck brakes.

Did a quick search and found out that train brakes are applied through air pressure supplied & maintained by the locomotives(s). Without a running locomotive, there is no braking power save for each railcar's mechanical handbrakes, which must be set manually on each car.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I did notice that there is a lock on them. Can they be unlocked and then flipped over and out of service to allow a train by and then flipped back into service again and relocked?
That's exactly how they are used.

Usually sidings wont have a derail. They are normally in backtracks that are used to store or load railcars.

When you take a closer look, notice that they are a pretty good sized chunk of metal. Try to imagine carrying that over a mile to the back of the train.

Good idea that you had, but just impractical when put into real world use.

Last edited by Kokanee9; 07-10-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Banned

I just read another article that said the train was parked on the mainline, not siding. Not sure which is correct. But I read that sidings are supposed to have 0 grade
Old 07-10-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hate_snow View Post
I just read another article that said the train was parked on the mainline, not siding. Not sure which is correct. But I read that sidings are supposed to have 0 grade
Not the case for CN.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Default govt. doc on review of tank car standards

Here is a link to a Transport Canada bulletin on industry and regulatory efforts to upgrade tank car standards:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/...spring2007.pdf
Old 07-10-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hate_snow View Post
Only in a perfect world.

Or maybe Saskatchewan....

Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Banned

Ok