Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Default "New Albertan" Draw Scenario....thoughts??

Here is a quick scenario i was thinking about this morning......
I just moved here from NFLD/NS/NB/SASK. I got my win card before I left for camp (currently no fixed address). While I was at Canadian Tire I picked up a draw booklet and applied for the 438 lottery draw and wouldn’t you know it….i won. I am not familiar with Alberta... where is 438?? I currently have an SKS….is this a good caliber for sheep? I’m going back to NFLD/NS/NB/SASK for a 3 month vacation as soon as I have enough hours to qualify for EI, but will be back in time for the draw. Any help is appreciated.

As an “ALBERTAN OUTDOORSMAN” how does this realistic scenario make you feel. Is this fair?....
Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 AM

438 is West of the Jasper National Park. A quick google image search of "Alberta WMU Map" will bring up all the WMU's throughout Alberta, and if you go here (http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...ason-wmus.html) and click on the individual WMU # on the left, it will give you a more exact location.

I can't say anything re: the SKS as I've never hunted sheep, but my first guess would be "no".. but i'll let someone more experienced in that aspect answer. SKS is great for deer though. I personally love the SKS.

I'm sure people would be 'jealous' that you won, regardless of if you were an AB resident (born n' raised) or not. I'm from BC and there's a mutual respect between Hunters, if you're good at it and do it for the right reasons.

The only reason I can see people getting mad is if you don't utilize the opportunity. Sheep hunting is not for the faint of heart, so i'm told, but don't let that stop you! Do lots of research and have all your ducks in a row prior to leaving the house.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM

First off

Second : IBTL

Third: If it were ALL like that I'd be ticked off. There are aspects of your scenario that are accurate I'm sure but the whole scenario is stretching it "just a little".

I do think there should be a 6 month waiting period to stop people from "moving here", picking up a WIN card and hunting anything. Exceptions of course would be Armed Forces transfers. I'm not sure how other provinces handle this but I would like to see a little more protections of our animals from people moving here and having hunting privileges right off the bat. Also all out of province hunters must have proof of prior hunting history and/or hunter training course completion before being able to buy tags.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Should be at least a years wait and a Hunter Ed program with proof before you buy license. I could have got my kid a Win card this year and applied for Draws but he didn't finish his Hunter Ed manual and write the test in time. I could have lied and applied for draws and then finished the course but told him that wouldn't be right. Yes , it is not allowed but I know for a fact I could have gotten away with it. Seen it happen with a few others that never did have a course.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:40 AM

Also , Drake I am not sure if you know what a sheep looks like anyhow!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Unfortunately, that situation is not at all unrealistic where I live. Many people working in our area purchase resident tags in Alberta, and apply for our draws, then return to their home provinces, and hunt with resident tags in that province as well. Many people do this every year, and the system doesn't seem to be able to detect that this is even happening.

What I would like to see happen, is for Alberta to require a person to be a resident for six months prior to being able to purchase a win card, and then a person must reside in Alberta for at least six months of each year. As well, I would like to see all of the provinces and territories link their systems, so that a person can only qualify as a resident in one location at a time, and any person that purchases a resident license in more than one location at the same time, is suspended from holding a license in any province, or from taking part in the draws in any province for at least three years.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:27 AM

I'm sure it happens more the one thinks.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 PM

I completely agree with the 6 month waiting period for hunting. But does everyone think that you would have to wait 6 months to fish here? No win card, no fishing.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:20 PM

I agree with elkhunter.

I do agree that you should not be allowed to be a "resident fisher" for 6 months.

As far as i am concerned also you/they would not be a "new albertan" as you do not plan on residing here only for work, if you/they get work at home you will stay there, if the work is in sask you/they will go there, you/they are only here for money.

removed my rant as I seen it was just a scenario haha
Old 07-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I completely agree with the 6 month waiting period for hunting. But does everyone think that you would have to wait 6 months to fish here? No win card, no fishing.
Why should the definition of a resident be any different for fishing?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:37 PM

In the situation you describe I doubt the "worker" qualifies for resident tags. He must be a permanent resident of Alberta to qualify. Being here to work in a camp does not qualify. Move must be permanent. Some indications of permanent are if he moved his family here as well and furniture. Does he still maintain a residence and family in another province for if so he can be prosecuted.

Wasn't that long ago we had a thread about recent prosecutions for hunting as a resident when actually maintaining a home in another province.

Report a poacher should be informed of any circumstances that are doubtful on residency. Poaching is still poaching, we can complain about people abusing the system or do something about it!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:40 PM

No sheep or antelope draws until you have proof of residency for 1 year.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
No sheep or antelope draws until you have proof of residency for 1 year.
No draws of any kind is more like it. That's what guides are for....and why we have outfitters.

LC
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
In the situation you describe I doubt the "worker" qualifies for resident tags. He must be a permanent resident of Alberta to qualify. Being here to work in a camp does not qualify. Move must be permanent. Some indications of permanent are if he moved his family here as well and furniture. Does he still maintain a residence and family in another province for if so he can be prosecuted.

Wasn't that long ago we had a thread about recent prosecutions for hunting as a resident when actually maintaining a home in another province.

Report a poacher should be informed of any circumstances that are doubtful on residency. Poaching is still poaching, we can complain about people abusing the system or do something about it!
I wish it was this way....but if you move here and have a residence you are deemed a resident....

From the regs:
An Alberta resident is a person who is a resident of Canada and has their only or primary residence in Alberta.

How many peoe have families "back home" who work here for a portion of the year and rent a room and hunt here as residents? Are they residents?

LC
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
No draws of any kind is more like it. That's what guides are for....and why we have outfitters.

LC
Utopia!!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack88 View Post
Utopia!!
Lol...not quite what I meant, no draws until you meet the (now nonexistent) requirements.

LC
Old 07-12-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Lol...not quite what I meant, no draws until you meet the (now nonexistent) requirements.

LC
I can't wait to see the draw summary for this year....

10% increase in total applicants?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:58 PM

Kris "only or primary residence here" are the key words. If you work in a camp and maintain a residence and family in another province you should not qualify for resident tags.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:59 PM

After 3 months you have to change the plates on your truck/car if your from another province or they do give out tickets for it I found out the hard way. they should do the same with hunting/fishing license 3 months proof wither it be a pay stub,billing address with name or whatever it may be. I grew up in newfoundland got a house back there but I can't hunt back there can't even buy a resident salmon license to fish with out a guide.I think all provinces should be the same show something proving you been here for minimum 3 months with solid address
Old 07-12-2013, 07:04 PM

OR you smug Albertans could just join the the David Suzuki Society and shut down immigration altogether. It would be a more intelligent conversation. If a second generation Japanese man can make an effort to shut down immigration it wouldn't be a stretch for you folks to lay claim to the natural resources.

I do not agree with illegal activity ie; claiming to be a permanent resident of more than one place be it for hunting privileges or defrauding the government like Mr Duffy, however it is only jealousy that is fueling this reaction from you people. Why do you care if a guy goes hunting when on holidays in NFLD. Concerned about the eastern moose population?

You only get so many hunting seasons in your lifetime. To pay huge fees for non-resident tags like a wealthy tourist or be unable to hunt for a year because you move to another part of your own country is retarded.

It is already illegal to hold resident tags in more than one area. Enforce the laws we have and leave the folks that have done nothing wrong alone. They moved to make a better life for themselves and their families just like everyone else in Alberta or your ancestors.

I would hate to fall off the high horses some of you are riding.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Kris "only or primary residence here" are the key words. If you work in a camp and maintain a residence and family in another province you should not qualify for resident tags.
I know that is that's how it should be.....but no one is checking or enforcing things sadly....unfortunately quite a few "camp folks " hunt here as residents and enter draws as residents.

The other thing is think about this.....you live in a vehicle and travel to Alberta, you sign a six month lease on a place.....you are immediately a resident here and you can put in for draws and are eligible to hunt, you can leave 6 months later....and come back....still a resident of Alberta as per the definition if it is your only residence at the time.

That's why proof of a minimum stay/residency in the Province is a good first step....IMHO. Look at what the Yukon does....2 years minimum residency to be deemed a resident.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 07-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
They should not qualify, but they lie, and provide an Alberta address, so they are given a WIN card as an Alberta resident at Canadian tire, or some other vendor..
Old 07-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Has nothing about a high horse but it does have to do with people having cake and eating it too...

LC
Old 07-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Here is a quick scenario i was thinking about this morning......

SNIP

As an “ALBERTAN OUTDOORSMAN” how does this realistic scenario make you feel. Is this fair?....

I think it makes me feel just like folks in every province when it happens to them...

Ask folks in SK/MB/BC if they have the same issues, start to collaborate with other provinces and lobby to have the regs changed...

I'm sure folks in BC share the same opinion of Albertans and as a matter of fact I know quite a few fellas who hunt as residents in Ft.mac and the central BC interior... Nobody official has seemed to care thus far while checking there BC tags and being shown a AB drivers liscense.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 07-12-2013, 07:15 PM

I will ask this....who checked any of us when we purchased a resident hunting or fishing license?

LC
Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 PM

So then people who want to fish and just move are screwed, they can't get an out of province because their permanent address is now Alberta. Camp workers faking is is a different story.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I will ask this....who checked any of us when we purchased a resident hunting or fishing license?

LC
And here lies the problem, so why make this another bigoted eastern bashing thread like was the intent of the OP.

There is many resident Newfoundlanders waiting for draws that are just as angry when residents of Alberta are snapping up tags just because they were raised in Newfoundland.

I would bet money there is more Saskatewan farm boys going home to hunt Whitetails as a resident then there are Newfies doing the same.

I would also bet BC would be a close second with Ontario right in the mix as well.

We have an enforcement problem in Alberta. I have never been asked for a hunting license and don't ever expect to be. We need to lobby the government or take it on ourselves to pay higher fees for better law enforcement.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:38 PM

I think a "born in Alberta", priority pool should Be created and get first crack at all draws.... JJ

in the mean time,ship the outfitters up to the crown land where they F'in belong and let them guide for whitetail and bear......that should free up alot of draw wait time!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
So then people who want to fish and just move are screwed, they can't get an out of province because their permanent address is now Alberta.
It's just too bad for those people, but sometimes a few have to suffer for the benefit of the majority. If it was me, I would buy my non resident fishing license, while my legal address was still outside of Alberta.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-12-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:

LC
Ol Tom down at the local hardware store, filled out a paper written liscense, handed you an ol metal tag, and even let a twelve year old buy a box of 32 win special shells. Which they amazingly used to stock. I guess that's why it was the good ol days. Not sure if there were more or less hunters back then , there was sure less drama.