Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 PM

I have a 12G Beretta Urika Al391 2 in like new condition for sale right now msg me for details

NEVER get between Electricity and where it wants to go!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Do not by a moss berg you will regret it!
Bad experience? Share please. Heard fairly decent things about the 930, except for cycling with some lighter loads.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 PM

I love my Vinci. I have probably 500 rounds through it and have yet to have it jam.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Default Remington 1100 ?

No one's mentioned a used Rem 1100....any reasons not to consider one of those?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Have you even touched a Beretta or a Benelli? Lol
Owned a SuperNova Tactical for a wile, and a Benelli M4.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmike123 View Post
Bad experience? Share please. Heard fairly decent things about the 930, except for cycling with some lighter loads.
Own a 930. Probably put less than 100 shells through mine before it began to jam. Always kept gun and shells clean. She still jams regularly.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
The 1100 standard does not handle 3" ammo.
The 1100 magnums at times do not cycle light loads well.
That being said, I picked up an 1100 with a polychoke on it for $350 years ago, and gave it to my hunting buddy.
he has shot everything form huns to geese with it usiing 2 3/4" ammo.
Geese at 40 yards are no problem for him using 2 3/4" Winchester #2 Dri loc's
he loves that gun and the only time it jammed on him was two years after he got it.
I showed him how to clean it properly and it hasn't jammed or failed to cycle since.
Cat
Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 AM

Benelli SBEII.

2.75-3.5"
I love the fit for me and it comes with adjustment shims. I did pick up a few others -brownings, winchesters but i kept coming back to the SBEII. You should be able to pick one up for under $1800.

LS
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
As mentioned, the 1100 isn't real adaptable to different loads. For light loads, you need a barrel with two gas ports to generate enough gas to work the action. For heavy loads, you only want one gas port. Why not always use a barrel with two gas ports you ask? Well, with heavy loads, you generate too much gas and it smacks the action (and the user) around.

I was in the market for a new semi shotgun last fall and I ended up settling on a used Remington 1187 Premier Skeet. I can buy three of these used for the price of one brand new Benelli or Beretta, even though the A-400 is an excellent shotgun and I still want one.

The main difference between the 1100 and the 1187 is the gas system. The 1187 will fire both light and heavy loads. The key change is that the gas system on the 1187 is regulated, meaning that any excess gas generated does not go into working the action, and is blown out the front instead.

A mandatory upgrade for the 1187, in my opinion, is the Dave's Metal Works Easyloader. It just makes life a whole lot easier and it runs under $50.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
A mandatory upgrade for the 1187, in my opinion, is the Dave's Metal Works Easyloader. It just makes life a whole lot easier and it runs under $50.
I should clarify this. This is a great addition for a target gun, and maybe even an upland gun, but it does get in the way and snag on things on a waterfowling gun.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM

Default no question

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajr View Post
looking to get a new 12gauge for bird season
seeing what everyone would recomend
it deff needs to be a semi auto this time
thanks in advance
Winchester SX3 - mine has been in -30, rain, snow, sunny day target competitions and has made it through every things.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I see Basspro has the Beretta A300 Outlander on for $649. I have not read any reviews or handled the gun but it is hard to imagine it is anything but reliable with the Beretta name on it. It doesn't take the 3.5" shells if that is a factor in the equation.
who have the experience with the A300?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM

I bought the SX3 last year and would recommend it. It handled the light target load for skeet shooting and performed flawlessly in the field. I was back and forth between it and the Maxus, however the SX3 fit me a bit better and I do not regret the decision.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I should clarify this. This is a great addition for a target gun, and maybe even an upland gun, but it does get in the way and snag on things on a waterfowling gun.
Thanks Ben for the explanation and your valuable advice on the 1187 and the Easyloader.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM

get yourself any enertiadriven shotgun.....les problems than a gas operated IMHO
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks Ben for the explanation and your valuable advice on the 1187 and the Easyloader.
The remington 58 was a good gun, but had to be maunally adjusted for loads.
The 100 improved that to an extent with auto gas metering , but the 1187 seems to have gone the whole route and fixed the drawbacks of the 100 system, and ben has ex-e;lained it about as simply as can be said!
If a person simply wants to shoot 2 3/4" ammo however, the 1100 is a fine gun.
Many shooters however, want the 3" ammo, but want to shoot 2 3/4" ammo as well.
Cat
Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 AM

I bought my young fellow an 1187 as it was all I could find (afford) in a left hander. It was used when I bought it, 3" , with choke tubes. Takes a licken and keeps on ticken. It cycles everything when clean but can get a little grumpy with the light stuff when dirty. It patterns cheap steel very well.

It is heavier than most modern guns and a little more work to clean. Overall it has been better than expected and I find nothing offensive about it.

I should note that I have had this for 6 or 7 years and as I said it was used when purchased. The quality of the later models may not be comparable.

Last edited by MK2750; 04-08-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:42 AM

I have just purchased a Stoeger M3500 (which seems to be a big improvement from the 2000) for this seasons waterfowl hunt, and after hunting with pumps and single shots, I don't understand how anyone can complain about recoil from shooting a semi (gas or Inertia). I have no real long-term knowledge of this gun as I just bought 2 weeks ago, and it not in the same class as the SBEII, but for $700 Semi, with multiple shims for the stock, 3 chokes included, Recoil reducer (haven't used yet) that shoots 2 3/4" - 3 1/2" without a hiccup. I purposely bought 1oz loads to test the other day as the gun recommends 1 1/8oz load to cycle correctly. I would chamber the 1oz load shoot and it would chamber the 3 1/2" shell right behind it with no problems. Tried this 25 times in a row to try an cause a failure ( didn't Happen).

As it stands right now in the last 2 weeks I have put 275 rounds through it without any stoppages, stove pipes, or failure to feed. shooting everything thing from 2 3/4" 1oz dove loads to 3 1/2" BB without issue. This is no way compared to multiple seasons of use, nor compared to the SBEII, SX3,or the MAXUS or VERSA-MAX, just my opinion on a average income mans semi, as I can never afford the 1800-2000 guns. Just MHO

Fowl Life

-Bob Lee Swagger
Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The remington 58 was a good gun, but had to be maunally adjusted for loads.
The 100 improved that to an extent with auto gas metering , but the 1187 seems to have gone the whole route and fixed the drawbacks of the 100 system, and ben has ex-e;lained it about as simply as can be said!
If a person simply wants to shoot 2 3/4" ammo however, the 1100 is a fine gun.
Many shooters however, want the 3" ammo, but want to shoot 2 3/4" ammo as well.
Cat
The 1100 is a fine gun, there's no doubt about that! I built an 1100 Trap for my wife over the winter.

If you want to use 3 inch loads, you have to get a second barrel. It's only about 30 seconds to switch barrels, and a new barrel (specifically for 3 inch steel) runs about $250 from Wholesale Sports.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
The 1100 is a fine gun, there's no doubt about that! I built an 1100 Trap for my wife over the winter.

If you want to use 3 inch loads, you have to get a second barrel. It's only about 30 seconds to switch barrels, and a new barrel (specifically for 3 inch steel) runs about $250 from Wholesale Sports.
When my father got back into trap shooting he chose an 1100 because he could not handle the recoil of the O/U's.

My hunting buddy will never get rid of his, and the thought of getting a 3: gun nver entered his mind, but many insist on a 3" cartridge for hunting geese.
I dunno, I've used boith and never lost a bird because of a little less shot or a shorter shell - unless the shot I tossed at the bird wasn't where it was supposed to go!!
Cat
Old 04-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl Life View Post
I have just purchased a Stoeger M3500 (which seems to be a big improvement from the 2000) for this seasons waterfowl hunt, and after hunting with pumps and single shots, I don't understand how anyone can complain about recoil from shooting a semi (gas or Inertia). I have no real long-term knowledge of this gun as I just bought 2 weeks ago, and it not in the same class as the SBEII, but for $700 Semi, with multiple shims for the stock, 3 chokes included, Recoil reducer (haven't used yet) that shoots 2 3/4" - 3 1/2" without a hiccup. I purposely bought 1oz loads to test the other day as the gun recommends 1 1/8oz load to cycle correctly. I would chamber the 1oz load shoot and it would chamber the 3 1/2" shell right behind it with no problems. Tried this 25 times in a row to try an cause a failure ( didn't Happen).

As it stands right now in the last 2 weeks I have put 275 rounds through it without any stoppages, stove pipes, or failure to feed. shooting everything thing from 2 3/4" 1oz dove loads to 3 1/2" BB without issue. This is no way compared to multiple seasons of use, nor compared to the SBEII, SX3,or the MAXUS or VERSA-MAX, just my opinion on a average income mans semi, as I can never afford the 1800-2000 guns. Just MHO

Fowl Life
Thank you for this post.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajr View Post
been looking at the browning silver hunter any thoughts?
If you like the Silver Hunter check out the Winchester SX3. It's basically the same gun. Both made by FN. I really like my Winchester SX3. Light, handles well, shoots everything, and most importantly, fits me well. That last part is the most important. It may not fit you. I really liked the Browning Maxus and wanted to buy it but it just didn't feel as comfortable as the Winchester. Had to crane my neck down too much. I like it just as much as my Beretta 391. Actually moreso in waterfowl situations.

Consider a range of guns from good manufacturers in the price range you feel comfortable with. All the better quality guns from Remington, Winchester, Beretta, Benelli, Browning, will stand you in good stead. That class usually starts at around $1000. If you want to do upland as well as waterfowl you might want to lean a bit more to a lighter sub-7 lb gun as you will be packing it a long way. I liked the Winchester for that. Then go to the store and start hefting and swinging them. Some will drop out of contention and some will feel great. Close your eyes and bring the gun to your shoulder and cheek. Are you looking down the barrel? Do you have to wiggle around and shift to be looking down the rib?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM

No worries. I plan on updating my original post on the gun as time progresses incase anyone else is looking at the same gun.

FL

-Bob Lee Swagger
Old 09-06-2013, 02:23 PM

The Stoeger M3500 and the Benellis are essentially the same guns are they not? They both use the same action. Its like the Ford to Benellis Lincon.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Do yourself a favour and go shoulder a few at a gun shop. Fit & feel with a shotgun is huge. I was also considering the mossberg until I shouldered it, its like swinging a front heavy 2x4....
I ended up going with the browning silver hunter, the thing just points itself like nothing else. As others have said, silver hunter and sx3 are all the same components, just depends if you want a black shotgun or a nice silver receiver with wood stock.
The beretta a300 outlander they just came out with seems to be a pretty sweet deal, I just didnt want another black synthetic gun, and the wood stock version isnt available in canada yet.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:02 PM

Default Versa Max

Like my new Rem Versa max. Time will tell
Old 09-06-2013, 03:09 PM

I was looking for a semi capable of shooting any shell for quite awhile too didn't really have a budgeted $max and after looking them all(benilli ,browning Winchester ,Mossberg ,Remington,) I was torn between the super black eagle2 and the A5. Ended up buying a Remington versa max for $1000 at bass it shoots 2,75, 3,3.5 consistently haven't had a jamb or any problems and I had an extra $1000 left over for deeks and shells
Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 AM

I have a left handed 1187. I must of had it for 15 years or so and love it. Very low recoil..