Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2013, 08:44 PM

Thumbs up Tried Toyo Open Country MT's on the ice today

Wow! These tires are like new, only about 10,000km on them. I put it in 4wd and was very impressed.
I had a worn out set on last year and they were useless, but with full grip they are great!
More testing this week, might leave them on and the Michelins off.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 PM

I bought some used DuraTrac with rims for my FJ Cruiser, they have 40-50% tread left. Yesterday was the first time I got to try them on some serious ice... they did great! I didn't realise how icy it was until I stepped out of the vehicle and nearly fell on my arse.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I bought some used DuraTrac with rims for my FJ Cruiser, they have 40-50% tread left. Yesterday was the first time I got to try them on some serious ice... they did great! I didn't realise how icy it was until I stepped out of the vehicle and nearly fell on my arse.

ARG
X2 on the Duratrac. Got a new set and love them on ice and snow.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Toyo mt's sure are popular. Hands down it's the most requested tire in our shop. There's got to be a reason for it. We've got guys that are on their third or fourth set that won't try anything else.

Myself I swapped out a worn set of 265 75 16 bfg all terrain ta's for a set of 285 all terrain ta's. I got nearly 100k out of the first set and made it through last winter with barely 4/32" left so I know I can trust them. Add to that they were the cheapest tire I could get from our distributor, cheaper than all the off brands, and it sealed the deal.

So far the only time I've needed 4wd was dragging in a dead car at the shop and one time trying to pull a steep hill with snow up to the bumper while out hunting. I leave the serious **** for when I'm quadding so I really don't need a mud tire.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 PM

Cool

Ran toyo mts for years hand down the best mud tire I ran but could never get over 30,000 on a3/4 t so I am trying the dura trac so far I like them better on ice and snow only regret so far was not getting them studded for the winter but they seem to hold enough small rocks on there own. Now to see how many km I can get out of them
Old 11-15-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
Toyo mt's sure are popular. Hands down it's the most requested tire in our shop. There's got to be a reason for it. We've got guys that are on their third or fourth set that won't try anything else.

Myself I swapped out a worn set of 265 75 16 bfg all terrain ta's for a set of 285 all terrain ta's. I got nearly 100k out of the first set and made it through last winter with barely 4/32" left so I know I can trust them. Add to that they were the cheapest tire I could get from our distributor, cheaper than all the off brands, and it sealed the deal.

So far the only time I've needed 4wd was dragging in a dead car at the shop and one time trying to pull a steep hill with snow up to the bumper while out hunting. I leave the serious **** for when I'm quadding so I really don't need a mud tire.
How much for a set of 4 of 245 R70 16 for my Wrangler.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbutler View Post
Ran toyo mts for years hand down the best mud tire I ran but could never get over 30,000 on a3/4 t so I am trying the dura trac so far I like them better on ice and snow only regret so far was not getting them studded for the winter but they seem to hold enough small rocks on there own. Now to see how many km I can get out of them
On my second set on my 2500hd cc..... First set just shy of 100k. Driving 60/40. Could of got another 10-15k but pulling trailers decided for the new ones.

Been running Duratracs since they come out. Best tires ever ran IMO.

As for Toyo MTs, buddy had bad experiences with them and on got 50km on driving 75/25 pavement to gravel. I guess if the work for you great.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM

When I bought my new truck I found a set of old worn out mt's and put them on just to see if I would like them. When winter hit they were taken off, less than useless. The new mt's were bought from Kijiji, $429 each shipped to my door from Vancouver via Sorat tire. They have great prices.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 PM

i am missing chunks on my toyo's, numerous cuts on em as well. . ., its their 3rd year of mud/rocks/gravel road. just by the look of them, they had a rough life. still one year left on these.overall, they are very solid, little noisy but don't forget its a mt tire. tried them in everything and i love them. 10 ply rating, you need that to go trough rocks and bad terrain.

for the winter, get real winter tires. its like day and night.

i have studded snow tires now, i am amazed everytime i hit ice, snow and bad conditions. its the best decision i have ever took.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 PM

Due to a tire that was damaged in the sidewall by a nail, I needed tires in a hurry, and the dealer sold me a set of Firestone Destination ATs for 50% off(road hazard warranty, on the damaged tire). Having used them in the snow, and on ice, they performed very well.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
How much for a set of 4 of 245 R70 16 for my Wrangler.
Bfgs or toyos?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
Bfgs or toyos?
either or
Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
When I bought my new truck I found a set of old worn out mt's and put them on just to see if I would like them. When winter hit they were taken off, less than useless. The new mt's were bought from Kijiji, $429 each shipped to my door from Vancouver via Sorat tire. They have great prices.
What size tire??
Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 AM

35 12.50 20

Old 11-16-2013, 11:28 AM

Had 2 sets of dura trac, on f-150 and on Mazda with 33". Best tires I have ever owned. Since sold Mazda but once tires on f-350 wear out dura tracs are going on. Good to see all are running good tires, as long as your happy with what you got.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:34 AM

I'm running the open country at'2s and they have been good so far, there on f350
Old 11-16-2013, 11:50 AM

I am playing with lots of tires this winter, on 3 different trucks. All are 20"
Stock Michelins from the '12 F350

New MT's on the '12

Nitto Terra Grapler came with the '08

Cheap Kijiji Bridgestone Dueller a/t Revo's for the '08

Kijiji found set of rims and Michelin tires for the '02 F350

Old 11-16-2013, 12:07 PM

I have run the Toyo H/T's on my truck for years. Love them. Really good in the mud next to the duck blind.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Due to a tire that was damaged in the sidewall by a nail, I needed tires in a hurry, and the dealer sold me a set of Firestone Destination ATs for 50% off(road hazard warranty, on the damaged tire). Having used them in the snow, and on ice, they performed very well.
Highest rated tire on Tirerack.com. JI put a set of these on my F150 back at the end of July. Very happy with them so far with about 6000miles on.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Highest rated tire on Tirerack.com. JI put a set of these on my F150 back at the end of July. Very happy with them so far with about 6000miles on.
When the dealer called to inform me that the tire was not repairable, and that the Destination AT was all that he had available in the correct size, I quickly went online to Tirerack to confirm that the model that the dealer had, was the one rated #1 on Tirerack. So far, I am pleased with them, as they ride smoother than the Revos that were on the truck, and they are just as good or better, on snow and ice.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I am playing with lots of tires this winter, on 3 different trucks. All are 20"
Stock Michelins from the '12 F350

New MT's on the '12

Nitto Terra Grapler came with the '08

Cheap Kijiji Bridgestone Dueller a/t Revo's for the '08

Kijiji found set of rims and Michelin tires for the '02 F350
I put revo's on my f150 after stock tires were done, worst tire I've ever had. Said I'd never buy another Bridgestone. Cool your trying all those tires
Old 11-16-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
I put revo's on my f150 after stock tires were done, worst tire I've ever had. Said I'd never buy another Bridgestone. Cool your trying all those tires
Good to know!

Old 11-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Banned

I have Goodyear workhorses on my old Chevy.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The Revos did well in the snow, the rain, and in the dirt on my truck, but they wore very quickly, and seemed to be very sensitive to different pavement conditions, smooth on some pavement, and a vibration on others. The DestinationATs seem smooth on all pavement that I have driven on.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:31 PM

I've got the goodyear ice grip tires non studed. It's like driving on dry pavement, could only imagine if I got them studded.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Toyo's have always made good tires. I liked BFGoodrich all terrains as well and have had about 6 sets over the years. Great tire but not on a diesel. I am running Duratracs now and while a good tire, I won't get more than 70k out of them on a diesel. I had a pair of Nitto mud Grapplers and they took me almost to 100k.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 PM

I put studded wrt goodyears on and the duramax just chugs though everything ive found. Maybe wainwright will test the rig in december

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31