Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Default Trail cams for home security

The wife's suburban was broken into last night and her wallet was stolen. I know, it shouldn't have been left in there, but it was. Now I have 2 moultrie trail cameras and was curious if anyone has used trail cams for their homes to keep an eye on vehicles??
Old 11-17-2013, 03:12 PM

Brutal. I hope the greasy skids that broke into your wife's truck buy a bad batch with what they stole and die a horrible death.

But yeah, I've been looking for some type of camera for security as well.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Banned

If you want, i'll mount my indoor d-link cam on my darker deck this evening, make it live online. I forgot it outside since the last thread and it's still working.

I'll send you a link when done. Not alot of activity out back but it'll give you an idea for distance in the dark.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:30 PM

That's impressive.

I've decided go with something temporary for now. Might need to be two trail cams.

I'm wondering though, will trail cams function when pointed through a dual pane window?
Old 11-17-2013, 04:33 PM

set them up then go out side and test them that's the only way to know for sure
Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
I'm wondering though, will trail cams function when pointed through a dual pane window?
PM incoming...

Dual pane window will most likey cause a ghost image, there will always be reflection. I think any cam will, the dlink up against the glass will reflect the led's.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:47 PM

Trail cams are great in the sense you can time stamp the images too.
If you were to put it outdoors, small batteries would suffer in cold weather. You would be better off with a 12 or 6 volt car battery or solar panel hooked up at home for winter. Just make sure you hide it good.

One cam pointed down the lane showing all licence plates that drive in too.
Two live wires to the doorhandles of the truck that activte when the doors lock might be fun too.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:44 PM

Default trail cams...

When we go away on holidays we always set up our trail cams. It's peace of mind. We had two known thieves come onto our property and since then we make good use out of the cams.!!!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 AM

I use 3, all infrared and well hiden. One by my driveway to pickup the plate and two by the house sort of set up to be interlocking but from different angles and covering both entrances.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 AM
Banned

I know a fella that had his truck broken into in the pre-trail cam days. The RCMP were the ones to recommend setting up a video camera aimed at his truck every night from then on. I'm guessing that the Police can and will use the images in order to arrest the offenders.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I know a fella that had his truck broken into in the pre-trail cam days. The RCMP were the ones to recommend setting up a video camera aimed at his truck every night from then on. I'm guessing that the Police can and will use the images in order to arrest the offenders.

Most of the time they are 'known to police' .... lots of people I know that have been robbed, including whole households, were told by police that they had a good idea who was involved but they couldn't do anything about them. And they wouldn't say who it was....
Old 11-18-2013, 08:41 AM

We use one every time we go away for more than a few hours. It is kind of neat to see who comes into your yard when you are away. It also shows if the neighbor who is checking your place when you are away on holidays, if they actually do or not and, it shows the date and time of the event.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM

Do you power them on and off? Or do you let them roll 24-7 and let them take pictures continuously?

I was going to try and connect mine to an AC adapter with a switch to turn it on and off, just not sure if it would work.