Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2013, 01:02 PM

Default OK I'll try here too...6wt rod

I'm on the hunt for a used mid flex 6 wt, 9'-9 1/2'. Like a Sage SP, SLT or ZXL. I know what I want in a Sage but what about the other makers? What Winstons, Scott, Loomis or T&Ts higher end rods would fit my mid flex criteria?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2013, 02:25 PM

If I wanted a medium action rod, I would grab a Redington CT. I know you are looking for better but I think if you give one a try you will realize there isn't much better. Redington just recently re-released them by popular demand. Cabelas has a deal on them but I am not sure what is available for sizes.

I haven't tried one but obviously Winston is the name one thinks of if you are determined to drop some coin on a medium action.

I picked up a Hardy Zenith and it is medium/fast action and deeper flexing by Sage standards. I ended up with it in my hands more often than not last summer.

Hardy just released a new medium action rod called Jet. It is similar in technology to the Zenith at a lower price point.

I have been reading great things about Allen rods on the US forums and am going to give their new medium action rod a try if all goes well between now and break-up.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:53 PM

What about a Scott alpha
Old 12-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Default Custom fly rod

Hi there Taco,
I was just going to pass some info on to you about Oscar Anderson out of Claresholm that makes rods. He made one for me a couple of years ago and I am really impressed with the rod-I was using a TFO rod (paid @ $250 for it) and now the TFO sits in the closet. He makes a variety of rods and you might want to take a look at them to see if any will work for you. If you PM me I will pass on some contact info for him.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Thanks cochlan, I forgot that Oscar assembles custom rods. I know his parents quite well. I'll have to look him up if I can't find the factory rod I'm lookin' for.

Thanks everyone. I have the info I need in my search
Old 12-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Echo makes nice rods an there price point isn't way up there