Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2013, 11:39 PM

"I can't take any of your arguments seriously when you continuously refer to anyone with a differing opinion than you as a "sheeple"."

You can debate my points or comment on my delivery, your choice. But commenting on my delivery is truly off topic and does nothing to discredit anything i say. I use the term to make my point in regards to the flawed info offered by our government that many hang on to, as fact that nothing can be done, but CnR everything.

I stand by what I say and the terms I use.

An angling forum from the east that I frequent just started a thread earlier today. Its the attitude we should carry in this province as it is the attitude the 4 provinces east of us hold true to. But this province has chosen to move in the total opposite direction.

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/f...howtopic=72712

It is in regards to walleye, but it also applies to pike as they are managed in a similar fashion.

There are many on this board that feel the same as our eastern brothers, but are bound by rules created with backwards thinking. They have voiced their opinion in the past.

STEELHEAD

Last edited by steelhead; 12-22-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
Lake whitefish do not come from the Bow River. Or any other river.
lol. white fish fry as well as trout get into all irrigation reservoirs from the rivers. most lakes in southern about. are manmade reservoir.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesw View Post
lol. white fish fry as well as trout get into all irrigation reservoirs from the rivers. most lakes in southern about. are manmade reservoir.
Lake whitefish were stocked in the reservoirs to provide a source of fish for commercial netting, they dont come from the river, although some do end up in the rivers downstream from the irrigation via the canals. the trout do get in through the rivers. you need to brush up on your fish species. Im thinking most of your fishing is done by trolling?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Will be interesting to see how many anglers still venture out to fish Newel with the new regs.

Brooks may see a loss in sales of fishing related items.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Lake whitefish were stocked in the reservoirs to provide a source of fish for commercial netting, they dont come from the river, although some do end up in the rivers downstream from the irrigation via the canals. the trout do get in through the rivers. you need to brush up on your fish species. Im thinking most of your fishing is done by trolling?
actually I am more of a fly fisher. in regardsyo yiurr post. you are just plain wrong. I used to work for the industry. and we participated in the fish rescues when they shut the canals down. usually over 150,000 fish were caught (in one day) most were white fish about 4-5 inches. yhese are from the river. search fish rescue and trout unlimited. why do you keep talking about lake whitefish?. since the screens were put on at bassano more fish and hence feedstock gets into Newell. so will not support the same fish numbers.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Will be interesting to see how many anglers still venture out to fish Newel with the new regs.

I think brooks will be okay losing a couple of grand in bait sales.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post

Maybe, but I don't think so. It is still a trophy lake. I don't know a lot of people that fish for pike for the sole reason of keeping them for food.

Quote:
I think brooks will be okay losing a couple of grand in bait sales.
Haha, no kidding, though I think he was more focused on specific small shops rather than the town in general. Either way it'd be pretty insignificant.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
actually I am more of a fly fisher. in regardsyo yiurr post. you are just plain wrong. I used to work for the industry. and we participated in the fish rescues when they shut the canals down. usually over 150,000 fish were caught (in one day) most were white fish about 4-5 inches. yhese are from the river. search fish rescue and trout unlimited. why do you keep talking about lake whitefish?. since the screens were put on at bassano more fish and hence feedstock gets into Newell. so will not support the same fish numbers.
Wayne is right, lake whitefish were stocked in most southern AB reservoirs for commercial fishing, any whitefish coming in from the river would be rocky mountain whitefish. While the canal brings in some baitfish for sure I don't think it's significant enough to cause the collapse of the pike fishery at newell, it's a big enough lake and prolific enough to create enough food on it's own. I have been fishing newell for years and have never seen a rocky mountain whitefish and have only heard of a few random trout ever being caught. I've never seen any trout myself at newell, it's not like mcgregor where there are countable numbers of trout, seen several there myself. The stopping of baitfish from the river coming in is a fairly minor factor in the grand scheme of things IMHO, it may lower the biomass coming into the lake but it is a blip on the radar.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Banned

its huge. what's all this nonsense about lake white fish. the ones I am takin bout are river whites. regardless you don't see emotional cause they get eaten. its food stock. IT is very significant. you have less food you can support less fish. same fishing pressure with less fish. well you do the math.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Wayne is right, lake whitefish were stocked in most southern AB reservoirs for commercial fishing, any whitefish coming in from the river would be rocky mountain whitefish. While the canal brings in some baitfish for sure I don't think it's significant enough to cause the collapse of the pike fishery at newell, it's a big enough lake and prolific enough to create enough food on it's own. I have been fishing newell for years and have never seen a rocky mountain whitefish and have only heard of a few random trout ever being caught. I've never seen any trout myself at newell, it's not like mcgregor where there are countable numbers of trout, seen several there myself. The stopping of baitfish from the river coming in is a fairly minor factor in the grand scheme of things IMHO, it may lower the biomass coming into the lake but it is a blip on the radar.

you don't see many trout cause they prefer the faster an cooler river. whites like the slower flow.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Banned

how many fish were in Newell and mcgregor were there before the headers canals and dams were built. lol. Sam with crawling valley, chastened, badger.........

too funny
Old 12-23-2013, 12:06 PM

It is a factor for sure, I just don't know how much of a factor, Trout do come in to some lakes, mcgregor shows us that. As far as the whitefish one would think that if hundreds of thousands of fish were being swept into the lake one would hear of at least a few making it to adulthood and getting caught, I've never heard of a single one.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:18 PM

that's what happens when are theses F/G,groups.clubs don't use the media enough and maybr be squeaking wheel.Instead just ask for more membership money for something they seem to not be aware that it wont correct thing to to .?
Old 12-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
how many fish were in Newell and mcgregor were there before the headers canals and dams were built. lol. Sam with crawling valley, chastened, badger.........

too funny
Thank you for this post and removing all doubt. Have an "Epic Christmas"

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermansfriend View Post
You think immigrants are responsible for the decline of the pike population at Newell??!!! Are you on drugs?? I'm a Vietnamese immigrant, been in Calgary for 33 years. I fish Newell almost exclusively for the past 10 years, and I rarely ever see another Asian fisherman out there. I know there are caucasian/european immigrants but I know what you are referring to when you mention "immigrants". A visible minority you see nowadays may be a second or third generation Canadian so don't just assume they are an immigrant. Comments like that just shows you are uneducated, uninformed, judgemental, ignorant, racist and have a lack of tolerance for other fellow Canadians!

When there is a report of poachers with common Caucasian names, they are just poachers but when it's someone with an ethnic last name, then it's those "damn immigrants desimating our fish population!?" A poacher is a poacher as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't matter what ethnicity they are! Stop being ignorant and racist!

So when a so called "immigrant" gets caught poaching and he claims he does not understand the regulations (which may or may not be true) - that is his excuse; what is the excuse of the Caucasian poacher who can read and understand the regs???

Sorry to derail the original post but I had respond to Troller's ridiculous comment!
x2[/QUOTE]

Sorry you feel my comments were racist.

I do not see in my post any mention of any particular race or culture that should send you off the deep end with hateful remarks, and yes you did derail this topic.

But who am I to argue, I mean my education cannot be anywhere near yours, even tho you have no idea what if any I have or do not have. Seems to me the hateful one is you my friend. Assuming something you know nothing about .

So stay on topic if you please and thank you

TIGHT LINES
Old 12-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you for this post and removing all doubt. Have an "Epic Christmas"
apology accepted

have a "epic christmas" as well
Old 12-23-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
apology accepted

have a "epic christmas" as well
Oh please dont take that as any form of apology.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-23-2013, 04:36 PM

Slew, Epic Angler Etc...Same S#$T, Different pile...
Old 12-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
its hardh please dont take that as any form of apology.
I did . and thanks. I know Its hard to admit your wrong. but good on ya
Old 12-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Slew, Epic Angler Etc...Same S#$T, Different pile...
I hear ya . we gotta get rid of these guys
Old 12-23-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I hear ya . we gotta get rid of these guys
Really....
Old 12-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
One thing you might be missing. Its obvious. Considering your main point in your flurry of factors is angling pressure. Yes, I read all the tripe you have been posting.
Obviously not, I just said don't underestimate its impact
How many of this provinces anglers only fish the rivers. I know many that never lake fish. Look how slow the fly angling section is at this time of year
How many licence holders fished fly in lakes inaccessible to those that travel by automobile?
How many licence holders only fish one or 2 days a year?
How many licence holders that only fish for species other than pike and walleye, the most sought after gamefish in this province?
How many catch nothing and provide no pressure because the fishing in these lakes suck?
How many only fish stocked trout ponds and put and take fisheries where conservation is not a concern?
How many are strictly catch and release?
Read previous posts again!
Cause if your saying that 130 people a day fish Newell and keep fish, as per the ratio you believe, that was provided by the SRD, yer off yer rocker!
Read previous posts again!
My point is...

They always use the total amount of licenced anglers in this province to lakes analogy to come up with a ratio to describe angling pressure, but never consider rivers or any of the above in those equations.

Their data for angling pressure is as flawed as the data they used to close the walleyes in Travers. And your eating it up.?

So when you go find all that data your talking about it better include many of the factors i mentioned above or all you got is sheeple data. Flawed. And I bet you that you will never find the proper angling pressure data cause they are happy with their double decades old, anglers to lakes data they have been providing the sheeple since that time to explain their mismanagement and highly damaging, uneducated responses to the issues.

Do they ever mention Anglers to rivers? A great amount of anglers in this province only fish rivers, of which there are many more rivers around Calgary and of greater length compared to southern Ontario. Do you consider them waterbodies? The SRD doesnt. And from what I have seen and data I have been exposed to, Southern Ontario has a greater amount of fishing pressure than this province will ever, ever see. Times 2.

I read all of the factors of what you believe is causing the decline, but your main point in many of your posts still hangs on fishing pressure. Of which your running on flawed data. The same flawed data the SRD provides its sheeple. Thanks for following the herd. Still with the personal attacks

I have had the pleasure and honor to work for the MNR of a western and eastern province for 6 years a piece after university and was taught by very learned and knowledgeable individuals. They would never have considered CnR in any case we were involved in, from angling pressure to pollution and habitat degradation. It was vehemently opposed as a solution due to the many negative factors such as those we see in this province right now and have been mentioned in my previous posts. Sounds like you are ticked they never hired you
I'm also glad I'm not running this provinces fisheries. I would be embarrassed to show my face to my alumni and in public, if I ran the province like this. And they would shun me. I couldnt handle that rejection.

So, where does most of your knowledge of these problems and solutions come from?

Do tell! You have my own and many others curiosity now.

STEELHEAD

You too are coming across as a bit of a steelhead also. The pot calling the kettle black I guess. So I will do the same.
Go reread what I posted. You are making it sound like there is only one reason. I agree that some info is flawed, I was at the meeting in Vulcan. It is disappointing. Budget needs to be increased, no doubt, but that was inferred in my previous posts!

But I agree with mofugger21 you will get no more comments from someone when you refer to them as sheeple.

That said I understand why they didn't hire you! Merry Christmas mine friend

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Go reread what I posted. You are making it sound like there is only one reason. I agree that some info is flawed, I was at the meeting in Vulcan. It is disappointing. Budget needs to be increased, no doubt, but that was inferred in my previous posts!

But I agree with mofugger21 you will get no more comments from someone when you refer to them as sheeple.

That said I understand why they didn't hire you! Merry Christmas mine friend
hey that's so cool how you got red in the quoted post. so clever how did you do it.

as far as newell. Newell dead. lets go clean out the next lake
Old 12-23-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
hey that's so cool how you got red in the quoted post. so clever how did you do it.

as far as newell. Newell dead. lets go clean out the next lake
When you quote a post you have fonts, sizes and color(A) at the top

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:35 PM

All commercial fishing needs to STOP. God damned ridiculous that we keep losing lakes like Newell. No wonder Alberta sucks for fishing. Anyone that thinks removing that much fish each year is ok are retarded. Commercial fishing needs to STOP period.

Last edited by Bear7001; 01-01-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear7001 View Post
All commercial fishing needs to STOP. God damned ridiculous that we keep losing lakes like Newell. No wonder Alberta sucks for fishing.
Maybe look up the numbers for this years commercial harvest in Newell. Do you know why we have whitefish in the reservoirs? Do you think maybe the fishing is good, but the fishernen arent? Do you believe every number the government throws out there about the fisheries?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynechristie View Post
do you think maybe the fishing is good, but the fishernen aren't?

bazinga
Old 01-01-2014, 03:06 PM

There are more pike taken out of Newell by sport fishing. Commercial fishing has been going on since the lakes been built. There quota hasn't changed forever. So why is it hard on the pike now. Have you been on that lake in the last couple years. It's a small town out there. I know members on AO that keep every fish they can, and fish it every weekend. It is there right to keep them.But they all add up. One of the most popular lakes in the south with fantastic sport fishing gets 20000lbs of whitefish taken out of it every year. It doesn't get Calgary fishing pressure is the big difference. Tough to blame 1 user group.

Last edited by Dale S; 01-01-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
There are more pike taken out of Newell by sport fishing. Commercial fishing has been going on since the lakes been built. There quota hasn't changed forever. So why is it hard on the pike now. Have you been on that lake in the last couple years. It's a small town out there. I know members on AO that keep every fish they can, and fish it every weekend. It is there right to keep them.But they all add up. One of the most popular lakes in the south with fantastic sport fishing gets 20000lbs of whitefish taken out of it every year. It doesn't get Calgary fishing pressure is the big difference. Tough to blame 1 user group.
Its not one group. So why is only one group loosing out like always. SRD screws up again and we loose.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:07 PM

Default If you pay attention

CVR , Newell , Tilly B are the domain of the middle Eastern and Russian
Poachers . Also big time night fishing going on everywhere . Just talk to the people who live near these reservoirs ....they know.

We had Terry Clayton at our mercy in Nanton , but it was all Kissy ,Kissy
Sucky sucky , There is no way the govt should be selling your resource .
No one buy a fishing licence ......just fish what are they going to do
lock a few 100,000 people up for angling without a licence ....that'll get their attention .