Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 01:34 PM

Default Lake water has gone bad.

I am from Southern Alberta. Grew up fishing the irrigation resevoirs mostly. There are a couple of small lakes, namely Lost Lake and Grantham that used to be great places to take kids. That's where my grandpa and dad took me. You would never catch a big trophy pike like Badger, Travers or Newell but you would always catch several small ones and the water was CRYSTAL clear.

Now these 2 lakes in particular are cloudy green, and the water STINKS something terrible.

Anyone have an idea or some knowledge as to why this has happened? It's pretty sad and I sure hope it's not permanent. I still see people fishing both places so the fish must still be there. Any other places where this is happeneing?

Looper
Old 01-02-2014, 01:37 PM

it could be the hot summer we had increased an algae bloom in the lakes, as well as agricultural runoff may have the bacteria levels etc... out of whack.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Default water quality

might have a lot to do with the proximatey of the feedlots to the lakes...or perhaps the hog farmer that pumped him manure into Grantham. Cost him a bunch of money but didn't need to clean up the mess. I know both lakes and echo Loopers comments.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberj View Post
might have a lot to do with the proximatey of the feedlots to the lakes...or perhaps the hog farmer that pumped him manure into Grantham. Cost him a bunch of money but didn't need to clean up the mess. I know both lakes and echo Loopers comments.
X2, this is the future of all our southern lakes unless we begin to take pollution seriously. Reservoirs are built in low areas, chit runs down hill.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberj View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the primary reason more to do either fertilizers?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 PM

Could have winter killed already. Lake depth, summer weed growth, and winter snow cover could all be factors to this.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 AM

Typical city mentality blame the farmers. I would say it is from the million plus slobs upstream in Calgary that are polluting the reservoirs. Fertilizer is very expensive so ya farmers just love buying, or paying to have it hauled and it just going to waste(sarcasm). Rules and regulations are in place for manure management and farmers are following them better now then ever. Yes there is always a few law breakers and these need to be dealt with accordingly through existing rules and regs with more enforcement.

While all the urban people are building roofs, pouring cement, building roads which all cause runoff that has lots of pollution and takes away the riparian areas, farmers are busy changing practices to better their own and our environment.

Oh ya and without farmers the reservoirs wouldn't even be there.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:20 PM

I used to like Grantham too, last time I tried just after first ice the water stunk so bad I didnt stay. couldnt see past the botom of the hole. It gets a lot of weed growth and algae I think its just die off. doesnt help having a feedlot next door either to supply fresh nutrients. it can still be glass clear in spring but doesnt take long to muck up. Jackfish bay on Newell gets bad too once the weeds die off, always afraid of a methane explosion theres so much gas bubbling up into the tent late in the season.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-03-2014, 03:31 PM

Default Farming Garbage Dumps .

I agree that any standing water near a feedlot is definitely questionable
Vis a vis environmentally sound resource .

Seeing as hunted started this , since I have started Pheasant hunting
In southern alberta my thinking of farmers as keepers of the land ,has
Changed somewhat , I can't believe how many garbage dumps there are
Sitting around out there ,particularly in cattle operations . Between the
Well heads , car dumps , and abandoned crap ......kinda takes the romance
out of the birding experience ...That farming to the middle of the gravel
Spaying in the run off ditches ....not only illegal but a wildlife killer .

So as much as I like country folk ,I wouldn't be getting out the Golden
Coveralls quite yet ...

There's no doubt they may not be polluters on the scale of cities .....but
They are far from squeaky clean in the environment department .
Old 01-12-2014, 12:05 PM

There is provincial legislation in place that dictates how near a body of water a feedlot can be located and what degree of land slope it can have. If you think that there is a problem you can report it to your local county but I doubt that anything will happen. Your other recourse is to report it to the Provincial department responsible. The complaint will have to be in the form of a written letter with your name and return address on it or nothing will be done there either. Always c.c. one to the Premier and your M.L.A. Good luck.