Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 AM

Default Barrel break-in: What is the deal?

So I was reading a bunch of articles on shooting related stuff(again) and came upon some articles on breaking in a barrel.

My understanding of this process is that you shoot one round, let the barrel cool, clean it with a copper-based solvent, fire it again, cool it again, and clean it again. After ten rounds or so, you shoot two shots back-to-back, cool it, clean it, etc. And after all is said and done, you get a more accurate rifle.

So then I was interested, and read some more articles on the same thing. Some articles say do it, it's great for your barrel. Others say that it may or may not aid accuracy, but that you should do it anyway because it can't hurt your barrel. And still others say not to do it, because it's just a bad idea.

Now, quite a few of the articles I read were sniper-oriented. This has led me to the assumption(correctly or incorrectly) that this is something reserved for tactical shooters. However, some were written by hunters, so clearly some people do it.

So, with my limited knowledge of rifles, ammunition, and ballistics, I'm curious about the science that would make this process increase the accuracy of your rifle.

I'm also wondering, is there a real-world advantage to this, or is this something meant for snipers, tactical shooters, and guys that shoot extreme ranges?

Does anyone break their barrels in? Why or why not?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:35 AM

The barrel break in process is pretty unsceintific, to say the least.

How do you know if a barrel was more accurate after break in than before?

Also how do you know if a barrel cleans easier after break in than before?

With all that aside, I see zero harm in doing some sort of break in procedure on a new rifle. You never know........

Try this one;

Clean it before anything, makes sure the bolt lug recesses are cleaned, and lubricate the back edge of the bolt lugs with high temp. grease. Use a bore guide and a one piece coated rod, push jags only, and limit the use of a nylon brush to no more than about 10 strokes per cleaning session.

Shoot and clean for the first 3 shots, yes the copper is the culprit , so use a good copper solvent, easy on the brush work and no bronze brushes as the copper solvent will break them down.
Then fire a 3 shot group and clean, followed by another 3 shot group and clean.
After this keep things cool and observe when accuracy drops off, then clean, or about every 20 to 30 rounds which ever happens first.

Good luck.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-13-2008, 03:47 PM

I sight them in once I find a good load and go hunting. period. If there's anything at all to "breaking in" a hunting rifle the manufacturer will say so, otherwise just shoot it. Clean it occasionally and before parking it for the year and clean it if accuracy starts to slide. Only absolute rule I have is never heat the barrel to the point where you can't hold your hand on it confortably. One exception to all this is the Tubbs Final Polish treatment I gave my Tikka .300, and I followed the suggested cleaning routine religiously. Took a very accurate rifle to bench rest accuracy. Sad part is I now have no excuses for a miss.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:25 PM

The barrel manufacturer Lilja, published a barrel break in procedure for their barrels but readily admit that they do so only because their customers insist on it! They also admit that they have no proof it makes any difference.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
The barrel manufacturer Lilja, published a barrel break in procedure for their barrels but readily admit that they do so only because their customers insist on it! They also admit that they have no proof it makes any difference.

exactly, Dan Lilja and other barrel makers along with the solvent and cleaning hardware manufacturers have never had it so good since the "barrel breakin" voodoo was engineered in the back rooms of the marketing departments who push these supplies. It's something that cannot be proved one way or the other and strikes enough fear into the hearts of prospective new rifle and barrel buyers that all these cleaning supplies are flying off of the shelves at such a rate that sellers are devoting entire multiple isles of their stores to cleaning products when only a few years ago they had a couple shelves.

If you ask Dan Lilja himself he will chuckle and say that barrel breakin with improper cleaning technique leading to damaged barrels has 'forced' him to sell more barrels than ever before.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:44 PM

Default Hocus Pocus

IMO barrel break-in is just a bunch of hooey. Either your rifle has a good barrel and is going to shoot accurately or it is not and it is time for a new rifle or a custom barrel.

Having said this however, if some sort of break-in procedure makes you feel good about your rifle and gives you more confidence - go right ahead, you will probably shoot a bit better with that rifle regardless.

Perception is reality.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:06 PM

The Cooper rifles we sell come with instructions for barrel break in, however, these barrels are hand-lapped which really should do what the break in is supposed to accomplish?!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:25 PM

Ask Gramps Smith about barrel break in and you may just get something thrown at you!!
For me, "breaking in a barrel" is more like breaking in a whole rifle/cartridge combination to see what works, and to work the bugs outta the gun....
Cat