Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-18-2014, 12:21 AM

Default Door fell off gun cabinet first day

I bought a stack-on 14 gun cabinet at Canadian Tire this morning. This evening I opened it to put a couple of 22 mags I forgot in a gun case and the door fell off. Literally fell off under its own weight. There are 8 spot welds to the piano hinge and none had fusion. I have no experience with stack-on, but I assume this is a exception to the norm. If you have this cabinet, or buy it, give the door a workout before trusting it.
CT is has always been good to me (except when I am trying to find a worker to open the ammo cabinet) so I'm sure they will make it right.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:37 AM

I have that same case. HAd it for a few years now. Never had a problem and im in and out several times a week.

Sounds like you just got a lemon :/ Coincidentally I bought their big ass 36 gun safe as well. for an entry level product it works great.

Good luck. Too bad on the quality control :/
Old 01-18-2014, 07:54 AM

Wow that sucks. I would return it and buy the one from Costco.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:24 AM

I would return it and get a new one.

I own the same case and have for years and it's just fine. I suspect you got an anomaly as my understanding of Stack On's equipment, it's usually good quality (else I would not have bought theirs).

If you still have the receipt, Canuck tire will likely exchange it with no hassle.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-18-2014, 08:28 AM

I just bought the 36 gun version, hope that what happened with your's is just a one-off occurance, and not the norm. When I was researching before I bought it, the reviews I read for warranty work, and customer service, were all very positive, so hopefully you don't have any problems getting it repaired or replaced. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:55 AM

When you get it replaced drill and bolt it together.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:05 PM

I looked at on in cdn tire the other day, just couldn't convince myself to spend 1500 with that cheap tin exterior.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
I bought a stack-on 14 gun cabinet at Canadian Tire this morning. This evening I opened it to put a couple of 22 mags I forgot in a gun case and the door fell off. Literally fell off under its own weight. There are 8 spot welds to the piano hinge and none had fusion. I have no experience with stack-on, but I assume this is a exception to the norm. If you have this cabinet, or buy it, give the door a workout before trusting it.
CT is has always been good to me (except when I am trying to find a worker to open the ammo cabinet) so I'm sure they will make it right.
Probably made in China and coated with Lead paint as well.

I'd be pizzed too....bummer.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:22 PM

Take it back to Canadian Tire. I took one back that was all dented up and just exchanged it.

Joe
Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 PM

Unfortunately Buying at Canadian Tire usually means you need to budget for a return trip . I get so sick of having to return stuff that is defective these days . I took an angle grinder back to Ctire a while back and was told "oh we don't stock that model anymore so without a receipt we cant take it back" It is a Mastercraft grinder that only they sell! I looked on the shelf and see the grinder is there so I assume they just changed the SKU number so they don't have to honor their warranty. Canadian tire is rapidly becoming a place to avoid if I want to buy something that will last.

Tags
cabinet, fell off, safe, safety, stack-on