Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Treetop

Default Spring Bear

Can anyone up the Virginia Hills Area let me know how much snow is left on the ground? Is it passable by quad? Looking to go do some scouting for bruins. Anybody seen any yet in their travels? Just don't want to waste a 2 hour drive if I'm gonna be stuck to the roads.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:24 PM
61A

We were close to there two weeks ago and Under the 6 inch of ice there was still about 3-4 feet of snow.
I would assume it might be another month before you can quad around there, unless pushing and ripping your cv boots on your quad are what you are after.

G-len
Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
bearbait

theers still alot of snow in the bush but some of the cutlines are clear...there movin a bit but not to much yet..
Old 04-12-2007, 08:43 PM
First timer

Default First timer

Hey all this is my first year for spring bear. (any bear for a fact) i'm going to try wmu's 349, 353, 347. any pointers out there since i've never visited the area heared it was good though

thanxs

If ya ain't hav'n fun whats the point???????
Old 04-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Grizzly Adams

Default Re: First timer

I hunted Grizzly in 2004, just across the highway to the east and was unfortunate to have a late spring. Even At the end of May, it was impossible to move around off the main roads and any rain just turned everything into sticky clay, impossible to walk in.
Grizz
Old 04-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Treetop

Default Spring Bear

Anybody seen anything out yet? or is it just tracks? I'm guessing we'll have to wait till around May long to get very far, they just seem to keep getting the weather. If it ain't snowin it's rainin.

Walking is out of the question up there, quad with some serious tires is the only way. And still it can be sick.

What do most of you bear hunters start using as your start dates? I've never had much luck, even with bait until early May.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:23 PM
packhuntr

Cant really help with any reports, as i am from the south, but also looking for a little good news. Have you fellas got the snow melted yet??? And do you have any grass seed in the ground for me???? Starting to get pumped. Heading to the range this weekend to do some spring tuning. Heard from a buddy, his sister in law saw a black cross the road in front of her afew days ago, up by Drayton. Also heard afew south facing hills up by Fox are melted off. But still lots of snow i guess.

keep a strain on er.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:00 PM
bearbait

like i said afew are out but id give it a couple weeks or so...
a ranger with tracks is the only way!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Spring bea

Default Spring bear

We parked 11 km down the virgina hills road and were riding our sleds all day long the weekend before easter. I am not kidding when I say the snow was still up to my butt. We were still getting stuck with the sleds and they are all long tracks. There is a wicked crust about a foot below the snow. A quad would not be able to bust through for very long. The snow was getting wet though so you may be able to start quadding in two weeks. Should have been hot enough to settle it down quite a bit by then. Hope this helps. The virgina hills road was dry, but the side lease roads were snow and ice covered still and I bet quite muddy now.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:19 PM
jrs

Default Re: Spring bear

I was out in southwest Alberta last week and its green. Bears will be awake for sure. Its greener than the year i actually had a chance to shoot a bear in WMU 300 so if anyones planning to head out, good luck. I'd rather chase them in the fall down here as there easier to find but i'm still hoping to get out a few times further North. Great time of year to go for a drive. I have some pics once i upload them to photobucket. Saw lots of deer, birds, etc. No sheep yet this year but the weather wasnt optimal.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Southernbear

Our baits started getting hit real good late last week, found 3 nice size plugs on the road yesterday....looks like they're out and about.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:54 PM
gunslinger

yes sirry boys they are out and about.best of luck to everyone this year and lets get some dandys.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...r/DSCF0473.jpg
Old 04-16-2007, 11:39 PM
baretrax

gunslinger............is that this years bear already?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:42 PM
lilsundance

no leaves on the trees here, so I'm guessing its not this years bear. But a very nice bear indeed.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:36 AM
gunslinger

no boys that was one from last year, my son looks small compared to that old boy.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:10 AM
packhuntr

Yea ill say. Thats a beauty. Gettin tough ta contain myself.....
Old 04-17-2007, 09:47 AM
baretrax

still quite a bit of snow on the ground out here, but I'm gonna go have a look for tracks and a couple of spots to put new baits out on my quarter this afternoon..............anyone else seeing anything?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:05 PM
gunslinger

was in talking to the local taxidermist up here in dawson creek and he said there was one sighting of a black bear and one grizzly so far fellas.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:06 PM
baretrax

Are you working up there gunslinger? Tim at Corlanes is also a good guy to talk to regarding the bear activity.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 PM
gunslinger

yea right here at pouce couple , out of here in 4 days though,,catn wait.
corlanes is a very good store with great service.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:20 PM
baretrax

I'm kinda glad I got my rig outta there last year, course I do miss seeing all the moose up around tumbler. Quite a few bears as well, just never got lucky and saw a grizz............everyone else did but me
Old 04-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Cornsy

saw the nicest grizz of my life last year deer hunting off the trunk road in wmu 328. Too bad they don't make grizz tags. it looked kind of black with my 7$ tag although we watched it for 10 minutes, shook our heads and drove away!!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:34 PM
tracker2

I found this guy southwest of Calgary this morning. Got a little "boar fever" & aimed low on a 250 yard shot. Maybe next time. I decided to walk the foothills and saw him eating grass on a hillside about a mile & a 1/2 off the road. Not much snow around until you go west of the eastern slopes. Grass, etc is coming up. I noticed the new shoots were all being eaten.