Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-16-2007, 11:31 AM
Duffy4

Default Huntin' dogs

Seams like it is the time of year when huntin'dogs is the topic of lots of threads. Didn't know where to fit this in so started another.

I have an old dog that is now deaf and will probably not be around much longer. I need an understudy for him to show around.

My dog is a springer lab cross and I'd like to get another. Hard to come by. I am going today to have a look at some Lab/Vizla cross pups. Anyone know much about Vizlas?

Also I saw an add for Lab/Chesapeake cross pups. I now hunt geese as much or more than ducks so a bigger dog would be an asset. And ruffed grouse alot.

Kind of set on a lab cross or a lab.

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-16-2007, 04:29 PM
RyanGSP

Sounds to me somone is trying to make pointing labs with a lab/viszla. Vizslas are smaller and more lightly built then you GSP or weimaraner although they look identical (other than the colours. If your hunting geese over water I would go with a lab or chessie even a Nova Scotia Duck Troller. If you dont shoot them over water in minus 10 (or lower) or hunt from a heated blind I wouldnt be afraid to go with a pure Vizsla.

On the other note you can find pointing labs if you are looking for a pointing dog for upland and a good retriever for waterfowl. Your going to have to ship it though I dont think anyone raises them here.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Re: Huntin' dogs

Lab crosses are a dime a dozen. Get a bunch and maybe you can make a huntin' dog out of one of them.

Otherwise, buy a dog from someone who breeds dogs for the specific purpose of being hunting dogs and increase your odds of getting a good one.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Duffy4

Hey birdhunter, I got a dime. Can you find me a lab springer spanial cross please. Just one, I don't need a dozen.

Robin
Old 04-17-2007, 06:32 AM
waterfowl hunter

Duffy...........birdhunter and ryan where answering the question you posted with good sound advise from their experiance.

I guess you wanted them to post what you wanted to hear and not the truth.

If you want a HUNTING dog get one from a breeder with a history ofproducing HUNTING DOGS whatever breed.

Crosses are a crap shoot at best. genetics friend.

Dale
Old 04-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Duffy4

I think my only question was if anyone knew anything about Vizlas. And that was answered by Ryan.

I know some folks are really set on purebreds and call all others "mutts and mongrels" But there are some who like the idea of cross breeding. The idea of "hybird vigor" is a subject of debate to many.

The American Canine Hybrid Club
Recognizes the following Hybrids

American Canine Hybrid Club recognizes all hybrids produced from purebred ancestry, preferably registered with a recognized registration service. A hybrid dog is a mix between two or more purebred dogs (usually two). If you have a photo of one of these mixes, Send it in!
Please Note: A hybrid dog is not a BREED, it is a hybrid, which means it is a mix of more than one purebred dog.

Labradinger
English Springer Spaniel / Labrador Retriever Hybrid
The Labradinger is not a purebred dog. It is a cross between the English Springer Spaniel and the Labrador Retriever. The best way to determine the temperament of a mixed breed is to look up all breeds in the cross and know you can get any combination of any of the characteristics found in either breed. This hybrid cross is recognized by the American Canine Hybrid Club. Not all of these designer hybrid dogs being bred are 50% purebred to 50% purebred. It is very common for breeders to breed multi-generation crosses.

I just lucked onto my Springer/Lab cross and he has been a great dog. Retrieves in water and hunts grouse with me.

I have nothing against purebreds. And as I stated i may consider a straight lab. But a cross or hybird does interest me.

Robin
Old 04-17-2007, 01:42 PM
M70

I've had dogs all my life and have had some good experiences with both pure and not so pure bred. Than ks for the info Duffy. My curiosity has been raised.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:00 PM
CBR hunter

Duffy,

DON'T go with the chessie lab cross!!! I say this because in my research when I was looking for a Chessie was that if you don't get a good breeder with good lines (this is a breed that ends up with idiots when inbred to closely more often than other breeds). And if people are advertising this cross in the paper it was an accident litter and you will more than likely end up with a dog you want to put in the pound.

I have nothing really against crosses of many other breeds but I believe they have to be intentional and both parent's from sound lines...a lab x springer that was an accident and the people feel both their dogs were ok hunters is not grounds to produce pups. But if both dogs were purebreds and proven titled hunters then the pups would probably be very good dogs.

I think if you want a cross you'll have to talk to breeders and not people using the bargian finder to continue over populating through puppy mills to make a quick buck.

Have you looked at Boykin Spaniels? They have peaked my interest and may very well be the right dog for you. Here's a quote from the Boykin Spaniel society:

Ancestors are reported to be the Chesapeake Bay retriever, springer spaniel, cocker spaniel, and the American water spaniel. Today this little brown retriever can be found on hunts and in homes across America. Stamina in hot weather and eagerness to please make this dog a favorite in the dove fields, but Boykins have retained their spaniel flushing abilities and readily adapt to a variety of upland game hunting including pheasant, quail and grouse. An aptitude for water retrieving combined with their compact size assures these dogs a place in the duck boats and blinds as well. Boykins have often been described as "the dog that doesn't rock the boat." They are even effective in deer driving or in tracking wounded deer. Like many of the sporting breeds, Boykin spaniels make the transition from hunting companion to family pet easily. Boykin spaniels
Old 04-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Okotokian

duffy, I'm not a purebred snob or anything, it's just that these dogs have been very carefully bred over many years to excell at what they do. I have no problem with someone starting a longterm breeding program to develop a really good cross. It just sounds like your ideas are a bit akin to someone saying "I want a really fast pointing dog, so I'm going to cross a greyhound with a brittany". (yes, I know that is an exaggeration on what you said) All you might get is something with the speed of the britt and the greyhound's nose. I think a first generation cross is a bit of a crapshoot. Maybe try for a tenth generation
Old 04-17-2007, 03:57 PM
RyanGSP

ahey oko sad thing is there are guys cross GSP's GWPs with EP's just for the speed.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:27 PM

Duffy you should check out the buy/sell forum. You should get all the hybrid vigor you need with that one what with the chocolate being crossed with the black and all. Price is right to - pretty close to a dime a dozen.

Ryan do you know someone who crossed with the EP for that specific purpose? Which by the way is a specific purpose - a goal for the breeding. I wonder what the "goal" was of the folks who bred the Lab to the Viszla? The genetics of breeding make any cross a crap shoot at best. Anyway, do you have first hand knowledge of such or is it just repetition of hearsay? If I was going to try to "improve" the GSP the Pointer is where I would go but it wouldn't be for speed.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Duffy4

What I really want is a Lab crossed with a Great dane and a St. Bernard. Then I could take it moose hunting and it would retrieve the moose I shoot back to the truck for me.

Robin
Old 04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
RyanGSP

birdhunter yes I do know somone who did it but am not releasing any names because of the sh*t storm that will reign down.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:21 PM

Well, that is a first. Someone saying GSP's were crossed with EP's and then claiming firsthand knowledge of the actual crossing. Were the pups registered as GSP and then run in trials to become popular breeding stock?

Duffy, they actually use Labs (the purebred kind) to locate downed moose in Sweden and Finland (perhaps in other European countries too), but you still have to drag the moose out yourself after the dog lets you know where it is.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 PM
RyanGSP

No the pups were sold as droppers to hunters I was told.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM

So, did the fellow keep at least one to see if he actually got more speed? Or was the real purpose simply to have pups and the pointer male was handier?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 PM
FiveO

When looking for a dog consider is he more of a family member or a tool designed for hunting?.

If you want a dog just for hunting then get a dog with good blood line and send him to boarding school.

If you want a companion/hunting partner pick a dog and spend LOTS of time training him.

I worked with my Chessie every night for 1 1/2 years and followed a book called "Water Dogs" the book was a great tool starting with all the basics and moving to double retrieves.

The key is be willing to put the time in training and most dogs will learn. Hell if you can train a Chessie you can train anything.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:53 PM
SRP71

Although I dont hunt birds over dogs I do have a GSP/Choc Lab.Niether parents were hunters(breeding stock),my girl does show lots of instinct of a bird dog.She does run zig zag patterns through the bush,she points out critters she comes across and I'm sure shes part duck her self because if theres water theer shes in it.This doesn't mean she would or wouldn't be a good gun dog,but it does show that the instinct is there and if she would of been trained as a pup I'm sure she would of been good.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:40 PM
CBR hunter

FiveO....I second the if you can train a Chessie statement...lol and I'm training 2 pups right now...lemme tell you! I love them tho! But as I'm sure you know this is a breed that once you have their respect they're yours...but try and be heavyhanded or let them rule the roost and you've got a handfull or two. Gotta know what your getting into...I've heard about many pups of this breed being sent to the pound at 5mths bc they are such little devils.

SRP71, I wasn't trying to knock crosses as having the potential to be a good hunting/house companion. The modern breeds of today are all results of crosses, but they were selectively crossed with specifc traits in mind to create a better breed or for a different purpose and bred for many generations to create that new breed. I have a problem with the neighbour down the street who has a springer asking me if I'll breed my chessie to his bitch bc he thinks the pups could sell for a good price and be really cute dogs- Puppy mills and overrun pounds are a huge problem and I sometimes want to knock out people who breed just to make a quick buck.

One of Dustin's co-workers bred his PB G shep (who has a non breeding agreement) to a friends male g shep (not registered) so that his kids could see the miracle of birth. He sold his pups for $600 bucks a piece...ya right on the kids thing, if that was the case he would have given the pups away. These pups can't be registered and he has no idea what the male's backround was, it's asking for disaster and it has happened to him. Already had 2 people call him back and say their having behavioural probs with the 6mth old pups, and another person is selling their 6mth old pup in the paper bc of issues with their kids.

I think breeding should be left to the experts!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:19 PM
CBR hunter

Duffy,

Our breeders have a 4 yr old CBR female who they are trying to find a pet home for bc she has had 2 false pregnancies. Bitz is an awesome dog and just might be what you're looking for. Her website is

www.geocities.com/mallardsway/MallardswayChesapeakes.html

Then click on the 'Older Dogs' link on the page.

PM me if your interested and want to learn any more about the breed or Bitz
Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Help

Default Help

Jamie hunt should be able to help you he was getting a dog for his b-day last year .
Old 04-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default Re: Help

Sorry, I didnt get one. Met some great people while looking though.
Once we get a place in the country perhaps then.

Jamie