Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:18 PM

Bad thread title though; being as Ali#1 doesn't bother to apologize when he's been both insulting & incorrect, don't go reinforcing when he actually is correct.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Bad thread title though; being as Ali#1 doesn't bother to apologize when he's been both insulting & incorrect, don't go reinforcing when he actually is correct.
It's nice to be called correct once and a while caber

for the record I thought the law would never pass because of all the media pressure on it, It wouldn't stand up to the civil rights act either and I believe Obama and co were going to make an example out of it.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Perhaps, but I'm not him. I can concede when someone is correct, and he was correct that the law would not pass. It was vetoed by their Governor, so in reality, it is not a true indication of the people's desire or wishes. So it didn't pass because the populous felt it was unjust, but because their governor felt it was unjust, and in my opinion, this is not democracy.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
Perhaps, but I'm not him. I can concede when someone is correct, and he was correct that the law would not pass. It was vetoed by their Governor, so in reality, it is not a true indication of the people's desire or wishes. So it didn't pass because the populous felt it was unjust, but because their governor felt it was unjust, and in my opinion, this is not democracy.
Who elected the governor ?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Who elected the governor ?
The people voted for her to do their bidding, not to veto things she chooses without their approval.

Lots of dictators get elected and then become a dictator. Was the people's position to elect a dictator, or is it an outcome of someone who just abuses their power?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
The people voted for her to do their bidding, not to veto things she chooses without their approval.

Lots of dictators get elected and then become a dictator. Was the people's position to elect a dictator, or is it an outcome of someone who just abuses their power?
Do you think a governor in the USA is going to declare herself a dictator ?

Sure elected officials are there to represent its people, that doesn't mean that every issue gets to have a referendum. We elect people to do that for us and if they do a poor job we elect them out next time.

You also touched on the tyranny of the majority. Because a majority of people may want something doesn't mean it should be approved, slavery for example shouldn't be brought back because black people don't have enough votes to out vote it, rights are there for the minority tha majority does not need protection.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Gone Hunting

you are having a good discussion with yourself right now Ali, you can argue both sides, just separate them by a paragraph
Old 02-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
you are having a good discussion with yourself right now Ali, you can argue both sides, just separate them by a paragraph
Old 02-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
Do you think a governor in the USA is going to declare herself a dictator ?

Sure elected officials are there to represent its people, that doesn't mean that every issue gets to have a referendum. We elect people to do that for us and if they do a poor job we elect them out next time.

You also touched on the tyranny of the majority. Because a majority of people may want something doesn't mean it should be approved, slavery for example shouldn't be brought back because black people don't have enough votes to out vote it, rights are there for the minority tha majority does not need protection.
In this case, she did. It should have been voted on.

I think you don't give the public enough credibility to do the right thing. You clearly think that the government should dictate to the public right from wrong, and you don't seem to have any ability to see things from a different point of view. This is why it is so difficult to have a reasonable discussion with people like you.

I don't think had this law passed that there would have been a big influx of segregation issues. Most people have grown accustomed to be tolerant. What I saw this law doing, and based on discussions with my parents who are currently in Arizona, this law was more about giving people who have religious views back some rights to not be forced to do something that violates their moral convictions.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
In this case, she did. It should have been voted on.

I think you don't give the public enough credibility to do the right thing. You clearly think that the government should dictate to the public right from wrong, and you don't seem to have any ability to see things from a different point of view. This is why it is so difficult to have a reasonable discussion with people like you.

I don't think had this law passed that there would have been a big influx of segregation issues. Most people have grown accustomed to be tolerant. What I saw this law doing, and based on discussions with my parents who are currently in Arizona, this law was more about giving people who have religious views back some rights to not be forced to do something that violates their moral convictions.
Some things happen over time and some people have to be dragged kicking and screaming along, do you believe people in the south in 1860 would have voted for blacks to be equal citizens ? How about men giving women equal rights in this country in 1910 ? The tyranny is the majority is wrong.

If the people in Arizona are upset by what the governor has done they can vote her out next time.
Closed Thread