Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-22-2007, 01:35 AM
cruuk

Default new to hunting

im interested in doing some varmint hunting... gophers or something. how far would i have to go from edmonton to find a reasonable place to do this? i guess wheres the nearest crown land?
Old 04-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Dick284

Well the rub is there are very few gophers on crown land, typically gophers are found on grass pastures, and unless there are some sort of community type pastures East Of Edmonton, I think you are going to have to drum up some permission on private land.
As a rule there are fewer and fewer gophers West of Edmonton, and north of it as well, go East young man go East.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:44 AM
cruuk

hmm. ok. then my next question is what sort of small varmints are there readily available on crown land?
Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Dick284

I think it best you pick up a copy of the hunting regulations, and consider taking you hunter ed course if you have'nt already, the issue of what's open and when is a long and complex issue, to wordy to put up here.
If it's the urge to blow off a few rounds than I'd suggest joining a range, if it's the shooting of a critter your questing after, I'll just say that, that again is a sometimes touchy subject best left for somewhat non public view.
Forums such as this one are a great resource, but one must bear in mind anyone can access these pages, and possible infalmatory retoric about hunting and associated activities should be dealt with in the most tackful and responsable manner. (in other words don't give the Anti's any ammo)