Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-26-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Daryll Glover who owns and put at WHOAS disposal, a private airport and private aircraft (the Cessna flying Jan Arden around) said in an interview with Global, after they were arrested and subsequently allowed to make a phone call. Guess who he phoned for help... he phoned Legal Aid. WTHeck??? Here is a millionaire that got himself in doo-doo with the Law attempting to make use of Taxpayer funded Legal Aid and bragging about it on National TV.

All I can say is WOW!!!
Must be a Liberal.

Grizz
Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterFire View Post

I realize this isn't the wild west, but our Wild Horses are one of the few things we have left in Alberta that's still natural, raw and untouched.. I wish they'd just leave them be and allow natural selection to continue. Foals are due any time between April and June/July, so most of the mares are heavily pregnant at this time.
I just wanted to point out one thing with regard to the above statement.

Horses are not "natural" to Alberta. Or north America for that matter.

Yes, horses are beautiful animals....but if they're causing a problem, keep in mind they're not indigenous like elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope and moose are.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenterFire View Post
As an equestrian, it bothers me to be honest. Wild horses are hurting very little except the room to build modern infrastructure. 95% of Ranchers I know have said they're distraught of the cull, and are being framed for Allison Redford's negligence and desire to make more money.

I realize this isn't the wild west, but our Wild Horses are one of the few things we have left in Alberta that's still natural, raw and untouched.. I wish they'd just leave them be and allow natural selection to continue. .
First off they are not wild...I think this has been beat to death already. Im not sure if you have ever been to the Sundre area. I was born and raised there and spent a pile of time in the area west of town. As a kid we would see small groups of horses here and there. The population was stable as were the populations of elk, deer and moose. Over the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of horses... A total opposite of what has happened to the deer, elk and moose population. Areas that were filled with elk are now the popular stomping grounds for Feral horses.

Watching the news with the protesters coming from various parts of Alberta/Canada to protest something they know very little of makes me mental. They have no clue or care very little of the rest of the critters that call that area home. Every road, cutline, cutblock and clearing has stud piles throughout. I think they should knock down that population down to 200 or less horses.

If these so called protesters love these horses so much, round them up and take them home. Stuff the horses in your yards/pastures and let them mow the grass down to the dirt. Funny when it doesn't affect the area in which you live, you think you have the right to dictate what happens to the poor poor animals.

Funny how they know how many horses are out there... 900 plus. How many elk are out there? I heard that when F&W flew through limestone they did not see one elk from the air. That area use to hold a pile.

I just was reading some comments on WHOAS facebook page. Holy crap, lost for words. How do you reason with crazy.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Remmy I suspect you are right on the mark. It's about time these useless do gooders get lost. Most of them look like they are either are on welfare or on crack. Most don't have horses nor the means & have no idea of the impact 1200 horses cause. Then they leave a mess in the bush. What a farce. Like horses are an endangered species. I don't think so.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Banned

From last night's evening news.....15 out of 200 horse's culled and 1 shot and killed by the trail/road side and left there.

Not a successful untertaking to say the least.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Daryll Glover who owns and put at WHOAS disposal, a private airport and private aircraft (the Cessna flying Jan Arden around) said in an interview with Global, after they were arrested and subsequently allowed to make a phone call. Guess who he phoned for help... he phoned Legal Aid. WTHeck??? Here is a millionaire that got himself in doo-doo with the Law attempting to make use of Taxpayer funded Legal Aid and bragging about it on National TV.

All I can say is WOW!!!
Good.

I'd be a bit more concerned if we did things differently for wealthy folks than everyone else.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Good.

I'd be a bit more concerned if we did things differently for wealthy folks than everyone else.

Maybe he should frequent the Food Bank as well.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Local paper claims they are all going to represent themselves.

Grizz
Old 03-06-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
You've just touched on one of the essential problems with the Feral horses. Usual procedure with domestic horses is to geld virtually all the males for some very good reasons. The feral herd, just by definition is half and half. Bunches of bachelor studs out there, that have no herd affiliation. These are the boys that are going to harass you and your trail riding buddies. Not funny, been a couple of times I've come close to having to put a bullet in one. Just as serious as having a bear attack and way more common. Betting most of the "shot" horses met their fate this way.

Grizz
That's a very good point. That would be scary!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
You've just touched on one of the essential problems with the Feral horses. Usual procedure with domestic horses is to geld virtually all the males for some very good reasons. The feral herd, just by definition is half and half. Bunches of bachelor studs out there, that have no herd affiliation. These are the boys that are going to harass you and your trail riding buddies. Not funny, been a couple of times I've come close to having to put a bullet in one. Just as serious as having a bear attack and way more common. Betting most of the "shot" horses met their fate this way.

Grizz
I've had the crosshairs on a few stallions that I wasn't sure would back away. Machine gun and pits.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Grizz

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmy300 View Post
First off they are not wild...I think this has been beat to death already. Im not sure if you have ever been to the Sundre area. I was born and raised there and spent a pile of time in the area west of town. As a kid we would see small groups of horses here and there. The population was stable as were the populations of elk, deer and moose. Over the past 20 years there has been a dramatic increase in the number of horses... A total opposite of what has happened to the deer, elk and moose population. Areas that were filled with elk are now the popular stomping grounds for Feral horses.

Watching the news with the protesters coming from various parts of Alberta/Canada to protest something they know very little of makes me mental. They have no clue or care very little of the rest of the critters that call that area home. Every road, cutline, cutblock and clearing has stud piles throughout. I think they should knock down that population down to 200 or less horses.

If these so called protesters love these horses so much, round them up and take them home. Stuff the horses in your yards/pastures and let them mow the grass down to the dirt. Funny when it doesn't affect the area in which you live, you think you have the right to dictate what happens to the poor poor animals.

Funny how they know how many horses are out there... 900 plus. How many elk are out there? I heard that when F&W flew through limestone they did not see one elk from the air. That area use to hold a pile.

I just was reading some comments on WHOAS facebook page. Holy crap, lost for words. How do you reason with crazy.

I've been down the Andy Miller road a few times lately and have seen a half dozen horses close to the road. For the most part you can count ribs at 40 yards, one has the the top of the hip beside the tail-bone sunk in. Dished like a bowl. That didn't happen from too many groceries this winter. Finally today someone threw out a few flakes for them.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
I've been down the Andy Miller road a few times lately and have seen a half dozen horses close to the road. For the most part you can count ribs at 40 yards, one has the the top of the hip beside the tail-bone sunk in. Dished like a bowl. That didn't happen from too many groceries this winter. Finally today someone threw out a few flakes for them.
Shucks. And I wonder how the deer and elk are doing??
Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Huge difference there.

Having access to an attorny is not charity....its a right.

If you were arrested today...do you have a criminal attorny on speed dial?
Could he drop everythuing and show up first thing in the morning to help you get bail?
Probably not.
Sounds to me that is all the guy did.

Aside from that...I'm having a hard time believing that I am right now having to defend a system that is designed to make sure that everyone has access to a competent attorny and that simply being accused of something does not result in unfair financial burden to the accused.

Its a good system and fair to all in that respect.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Huge difference there.

Having access to an attorny is not charity....its a right.

If you were arrested today...do you have a criminal attorny on speed dial?
Could he drop everythuing and show up first thing in the morning to help you get bail?
Probably not.
Sounds to me that is all the guy did.

Aside from that...I'm having a hard time believing that I am right now having to defend a system that is designed to make sure that everyone has access to a competent attorny and that simply being accused of something does not result in unfair financial burden to the accused.

Its a good system and fair to all in that respect.

Oh the drama you try to inflict...LOL

I believe Legal Aid is for those that do not have the means (financial) to ensure they are properly dealt with in the system. Not some multi-millionaire that owns a private airport and aircraft.

Mr. Glover, being a multi-millionaire and businessman probably has the knowledge to contact a lawyer HE should actually be paying for...not the Taxpayer.

Sounds by what Grizz says they are going the "do it yourself" route.

Time will tell.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Martin. I am with the Badger on this. Access to counsel is a right.

I am a lawyer - and trying to get a criminal guy after hours or on weekends is almost impossible. One of the legal aid guys is usually there for bail, etc.

Not a perfect system, but better than the alternative.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunman View Post
Shucks. And I wonder how the deer and elk are doing??
Interesting enough ... I don't. Haven't seen any in there. Maybe they migrated? That or tripping around in a wolf belly
Old 03-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Barefooter View Post
Martin. I am with the Badger on this. Access to counsel is a right.

I am a lawyer - and trying to get a criminal guy after hours or on weekends is almost impossible. One of the legal aid guys is usually there for bail, etc.

Not a perfect system, but better than the alternative.

I guess being a lawyer you should know. Thanks for clearing it up. It just doesn't seem to me to be the job description of Legal Aid to assist a person that has the means to get their own Counsel, but if that's how it works so be it.