Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-16-2007, 12:10 AM
lgu5

Default Help on 7.62X39mm

I was just wondering if someone could shine some light onto this round. I recently aquired a chinese sks and its chambered for a 7.62X39mm Bullet. So i guess my question is are the russian 7.62X39mm bullets compatible with this particular gun???? I havent really been anywhere to ask, i just happened to look up new bullet manufacturers on the net and they say they make 7.62X39mm russian. So.... i dunno
Old 04-16-2007, 01:38 AM
Faststeel

Default 7.62x39

I believe the original gun for this caliber is the AK 47. I have a CZ 858 and it shoots the same ammo as the Norinco SKS that you now have. In budget ammo there are very few manufacturers of these rounds. You can get hunting ammo in this calilber and I think that they are 129 grain soft point.
Milarm and P&D have the cheap stuff available, but you must be aware that the cheap ammo is made with corrsive priming material and you literally have to rinse your bore off with boiling water shortly after you shoot these rounds.If you don't you bore will start to corrode and rust.FS
Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 AM
lgu5

Default Re: 7.62x39

Thanks faststeel, anyone else have one or a clue about it?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:40 AM
razadp

All 7.62 x 39 mm cartridges fire in all 7.62 x 39 mm guns. The Chinese guns are just copies of earlier generation Russian guns.

Note they are not legal big-game guns in Alberta, minimum 45mm length cartridge (unless that requirement was dropped since I last checked). Fine in B.C. & Sask as far as I know.

The warning about corrosive primers in cheap commie ammo is spot on. Wash out the chlorate salts.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Duffy4

The min. cartridge length has been dropped in Alberta. So you could hunt big game with the round.

Robin
Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 AM
aulrich

Power level is suposed to be similar to 30-30, but that's probably moot since with the 10 round mag its not legal to hunt with, I imagine the mag could be pinned.

I have always had a hanker'in for one myself it would make a fun plinker.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
lgu5

thanks razadp! Aulrich I believe it is a 5 shot attached box with a spring.
So these are common cardridges at lets say wholesale sport?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Dark

Default Work

How come your not at work. Need a job?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 PM
lgu5

Default Re: Dark

I am at work!! I play on the computer all day like you!! lol
Old 04-16-2007, 10:10 PM
lgu5

Default Re: looking for more info

still looking 4 info
Old 04-17-2007, 02:29 AM
Faststeel

Default Info

Well what else would you like to know? Ask a question and I'll try and answer it for you.FS
Old 04-17-2007, 07:36 AM
Dick284

Default Re: Info

since with the 10 round mag its not legal to hunt with, I imagine the mag could be pinned.

Imagine Not. The law clearly states the Mag must be pinned to 5 rounds since its a detachable mag for a centre fire semi auto rifle.
and no not all the 7.62x39 ammo is the same.
the Euro/ Com block ammo has a nominal bullet diameter of 0.311" while some of the N. American ammo has 0.308" bullets.
I'd suspect that accuracy in a Com-block/ Euro, SKS would be somewhat suspect if N. American loaded ammo of the smaller diameter was ran through it. BTW any SP ammo you encounter will most likely be N. American manufactured.
All that being said have fun with you new toy, just remember pick up them empites before you leave the range.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:21 AM
lgu5

Default thanks

so im good to go with any ammo thats 7.2X39mm! but id get better accuarcy with european ammo because hensce this is where it was designed and built. But probably hard to get. From cabella's they offer wolf bulk rounds in a 100round tote i need to look into
Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 AM
M70

Default Picking up brass

You've got that right Dick! The 7.62 casings that litter the ground at alot of ranges is a little irritating.

The SKS is alot of fun to shoot but I haven't had much luck with accuracy. I had a Norinco SKS as well at one time and it was fun to shoot. Apparently, the Yugo SKS is better built and more accurate although I've never personally shot one.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Dick284

Default Re: Picking up brass

IGU:
You might consider some research about reloading components from Stateside, just might come as a suprise that getting stuff like that up here is a real PITA.
Consider trying some factory soft points to see if they are accurate, you might never know. But like some have added the SKS has a somewhat hazy history in the accuracy department.
All though the SKS is fun at the range or gravel pit, I feel that because of the accuracy issue they may be better off left to the plinking roll and not taken to the field as a hunting rifle.
Perhaps a Bubba'd 303, 30-30 lever, or a $450.00 Savage package combo would be a better choice as a hunting rifle.
But of course if your SKS will maintain Minuite of Whitetail to a distance you can deem as exceptable then go for it.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:00 PM
gunner 83

lgu, let me guess...you were in a gun shop saw a cool looking semi auto, cheap rifle bought it and ended up with your own SKS! congrats. Myself and all my buddies have SKS's and we have lots of fun with them. they are however, not good hunting rifles. they are heavy, not accurate at all. Ballistically they are capable of killing a deer though. As far as ammo goes, the cheap crates you get at milarm are old surplus shells from europe or china or something. be warned the powder in that stuff STINKS like a dead skunk. also it is FMJ which means you can't shoot it at game in alberta. and also steel casing so no reloading. You can get 7.62x39 in hunting bullets but its not cheap. take it to the range, the back forty wherever set up some targets and go nuts on it. but for a hunting gun when you have the funds your better off picking up a Stevens Savage, Remington 700 SPS, Weatherby Vanguard, or even Mossberg ATR, you'll be much happier.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:54 AM
lgu5

i acually havent seen it yet a buddy has it and he is getting rid of his guns because he figures he doesnt need them anymore and he had this old sks and he asked me if i wanted it and i didnt decline. I highly doubt it would be used for hunting since the 300win mag has the stopping power i need. lol But i thought it would be a interesting piece. Ive been looking them up on the net and they seem popular in the states. I seen cabellas offers bulk american bullets in cases. Can canadians get bullets from cabellas?
Old 04-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Dick284

You can get bullets out of the States, but many places are declining to ship up to Canada(US rules). you will also have to keep the orders total price to under $100.00 USD
Enquire first is all one can do.
Good luck