Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Default Bella Coola

Has anyone fished in the Bella Coola area? We aren't sure where to book a cabin, we want to go in July for some freshwater fly fishing. It's been tough finding info about what rivers would be our best option. We have found a nice place right in the town of Bella coola but we are unsure if we should book it because we dont want to drive long distances every day to go fishing.
Are there many options for freshwater river fishing very close to the town of Bella Coola where we wont need a boat and wading will be ok or should we look for a cabin that isn't right in the town?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 PM

stay in hagensburg at the rip rap campsite. you can swing for fresh chinook in the river in several spots near there. as well as other fish. i'ld stay away from the townsite.

the atnarko is nice, smaller river. up valley, and is worth fishing.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:07 PM
Banned

check the BC Sport fishing regs carefully , many "Classified"waters have special Reg's,Opening Dates,special Limits, and Accessibility etc,

dont arrive there and to be disappointed
Old 03-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Flew the face of Hunlen Falls with a crazy old hippie pilot during the 2004 Lonesome Lake Fire while staying at Nimpo and working out of Anahim Lake..
Would love to fish that area again.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:44 PM

I'd take a look at Terrace too for fishing, lots of river and streams and lakes....and not half as isolated as bella coola.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 PM

Fished Bella Coola many times, usually in the fall for the pink/coho run, what a freaking blast on the fly rod. Fished in July once, the springs were in the river but not in great numbers. Campgrounds were a lot busier in July than September. I would fish the atnarko from the fisheries pool down to where it enters the Bella Coola. On the Bella Coola, you can fish baileys bridge. There's another spot just downstream of the highway bridge over the Bella Coola where a clear stream feeds into it, nice little spot right there. Lots of black bears in July, loads of grizzlies in September. Any more questions, PM me.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 AM

We also stayed at Hagensburg. Beautiful area, as mentioned lost of grizzlies, and we had some good fishing. Catching my first salmon on a fly rod was a hoot! We were there on the August long weekend and the pinks and chums were running. It was a really fun fishing trip, although the "hill" down was an eyeopener for a flat-lander.