Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 PM

I would recommend a 7x57 or 6.5x55 for a women hunter. Low recoil and enough power to knock most game down.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Hi Seabass, welcome to the AO forums.

At one time hunting was a man's pursuit but not so much now.

I know quiet a few ladies who hunt, and I could add, most women I know could hold their own against any game and against any male hunter.

Mrs Huntin comes to mind. Awesome lady and as good a hunter as I have ever known, and her hubby is no slouch at hunting either.

Then there are my sisters, several of whom hunt, or used to hunt. My oldest daughter is a skilled hunter and, I would wager she has killed more bears then most members of this forum have.

Then there is a very special lady that I know who is also a member here and a hunter. Got her first deer last fall.

And there are quiet a few other lady hunters on this site that I don't know except from what they post. They seem to be as skilled and successful hunters as any man I know.

Never let anyone tell you that women shouldn't be hunters. One thing my sisters taught me, women can do anything a man can do, and often do it better, except water the top wire on the pasture fence.
Now would that be the electric fence.lol
Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brie21 View Post
...dont worry about what the guys think, i have been around friends that boast they will get the big one, then later eat their words as they dont get anything at all.
Speaking of women hunters:

Two years ago -my first big game season- another hunter and I were comparing notes while in a grocery store lineup.

The two high school girls handling the tills, upon hearing that we'd been skunked, piped up that one had got her moose and the other a big buck. One shot kills. No tracking. :blush:
Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 PM

Welcome to the hunting world, I know of many lady hunters,and respect every one of them. Some young,some older, new to hunting and some with many years under there belt. They have all been very ethical, and showed a real enjoyment and appreciation for the outdoors.Great additions to the hunting population. As for hunting gear, buy good quality, clothing and safety items. Poor boots will wreck a hunt before a older good shooting gun ever will.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:11 AM

Welcome to the world of hunting, my wife and daughters all hunt with me and by themselves. You need no special equipment, just a good attitude
Old 04-01-2014, 06:47 AM

My wife shoots a 257 wby and quite well too. Hunting isnt gender specific.
Hunting and gathering is what our species has evolved to do, mall shopping, garage saleing, gold panning, metal detecting or fishing for marlin. It all has the same end result and we are always excited to see whats over the next ridge.
Its also another version of 'track and feild'.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass.270 View Post
But hey, if you like trying on stuff at Lasenza, that's your own thing. Your missus might have different concerns though.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:00 PM

I have loads of female friends in the infantry, artillery, and in other pursuits, who camp, hike, fight, climb, SCUBA in cold water, etc...they swear life is made simpler outdoors by the she-pee/she-whiz/shewee. Gentlemen you don't need to google it but for the ladies I am dead serious.

Enjoy the new hobby!
Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottus View Post
I have loads of female friends in the infantry, artillery, and in other pursuits, who camp, hike, fight, climb, SCUBA in cold water, etc...they swear life is made simpler outdoors by the she-pee/she-whiz/shewee. Gentlemen you don't need to google it but for the ladies I am dead serious.

Enjoy the new hobby!
This is very true. It might have to be an investment. The buns do get chilly in the fall.

Now stop staring at my rack.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:29 PM

Good I like to see strong chickadees doing non traditional things. You are quite capable I'm sure. My girls love the outdoors and love coming hunting with me. The more girls involved the better. Thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Welcome to AO. My wife, son, daughter and I go hunting every year together. My wife hasn't pulled the trigger in quite a few years, but she still comes hunting with me every year. My daughter hasn't shot anything either, but enjoys shooting, the outdoors and camping. It's great to spend time with the people that are really important in your life, doing the things that you all enjoy!
LM
Old 04-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Talking Thank you

Thank you all! The support has been very reassuring. I wasn't sure what to expect from the hunting community after a few encounters.
All the advice is greatly appreciated! Now it's time to get out there and learn from experience. Let the clover come!

Now stop staring at my rack.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 PM

Default Girl stuff

I was wearing light camo until i froze my arse off a few yrs ago and spent all of xmas sick.... so now I have a SHE winter jacket that is the warmest thing I have ever owned!!! I can easily fall asleep at the duck pond/stubble field waiting for legal light.
I also bought Danner 1000g boots. I wasn't looking for such thick insulation, but knew Danner was a great boot (worked at WSS for a bit). And they have kept my chilly feet warm all season. Find a boot that feels comfy. You should never have to "break them in".
Both of these may be a bit too warm on mild days, but you will bee very thankful for them in that damn cold prairie wind!! I also find a sports bra easier to dry out and stay warm than a regular one with the wires ... and wool socks are a must. all year, every season.

I shoot a 7mm-08 and LOVE it. My go-to gun. I also got a 30-06 for the range of load it has available. and you can find it almost anywhere. The 7mm-08 ammo seems to sell out quickly at the bigger stores. I also recommend you shoulder the rifle to see how it fits. I was looking for a 308 when i picked up the 7mm-08 and it felt perfect, so i got it instead!

And finally.... COME TO THE OWP.... that's outdoor womens program put on by AHEIA. It was mentioned earlier, I go almost every year, and we all have a blast!!! 200 ladies playing at camp for the weekend... woohoo!!! check AHEIA or huntingfirtomorrow websites....
Old 04-03-2014, 07:34 PM

Default recoil

and I wouldnt worry too much about recoil. A heavier stock will absorb more recoil (as opposed to synthetic stock), but if you are hiking all day it will get heavy to carry.... however! hopefully you will only need to take one or 2 shots to kill the animal, and with the adrenaline rush, you prob wont even feel the recoil!! the recoil thing only comes into play when you are practicing/sighting in at the range ... but 1/2-1 pack of any ammo prob stings at the end of the day.

WSS has some SHE pants on sale right now, and under armour t shirts
Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 PM

Welcome to the club! We need more lady hunters to show these guys what's-what! Just kidding, but us ladies got to stick together

You'll find, for the most part, the hunting community is quite friendly and supportive. This forum is full of excellent, fountains of knowledge as well.

I personally shoot a .308 (synthetic stock) and can burn through about 30 rounds of 180G bullets without even feeling it in my shoulder. You'll find with proper shouldering and allowing your body to accept the kick without losing sight of your target, the size won't much matter. When I first began hunting, I'd sit in my living room and shoulder my rifle over, and over, and over again.. but it's all about what you're comfortable with. a .270 is a great choice, a fellow lady-hunter of mine uses one for big game without any issues. Shot placement is crucial regardless of the caliber, IMO.

As everyone said, don't cheap out on glass... as for apparel, decide when your main hunting seasons are and shop accordingly... if you're hunting in September you obviously don't need/want Snow Camo (as an example).

You will be relying on your gear to keep you safe, happy and successful, so you generally don't want to 'cheap out'; this is especially true for all your glass and gear.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass.270 View Post
Thank you all! The support has been very reassuring. I wasn't sure what to expect from the hunting community after a few encounters.
All the advice is greatly appreciated! Now it's time to get out there and learn from experience. Let the clover come!

Welcome and apologies on behalf of all the "real man" out there for the wannabe idiots who were negative to you.

Gender makes no difference when it comes to hunting and handling firearms and anybody that thinks it does is obviously an uneducated mental midget so ignore them.

Unless that .270 is too much for you, there's nothing wrong with that caliber. You definitely want your own gun though and I would suggest you and hubby also invest in a third to carry as a spare in your truck in case of accidents (ie: broken scope, muzzle into the dirt/mud etc).

You've had a lot of great advice and I thought I'd add my two cents
1) Spare clothing in vehicle. Complete inner/outer and boots. It's happened enough times that someone in my group got soaked that it's habit for all of us to carry spare clothing in our vehicles so it's always handy.
2) I have a kit bag I carry in my truck. I grab it as soon as I get out. It contains:
- spare knife
- 2 sharpeners (diabmond steel and a ceramic "pull through" style - both are great for a quick tune up of the edge while working)
- Surgical style gloves (multiple pairs)
- Paper towel
- All my tags
- A compass
- Something with which to start a fire that is waterproof
- Ropes of various lengths. I bought a roll of "pull starter cord" like the kind you'd use to pull start a mower. It's a thin diameter and very strong. It's very handy for tieing animal legs to trees if you're alone. I also have one bigger diamerter that's about 20' (7m) long for dragging.
The kit bag is not big and has come in handy as a rest many times when I've been able to take a prone shooting position.
3) Toilet paper in the truck and/or kit bag
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Welcome!! Most of the best friends I have came out of hunting fishing and shooting activities.

Some general advice: get whatever gear and do whatever it takes to keep your hands, feet and head dry and warm under the worst weather you expect to encounter. If you can shoot your D-H's 270 without fear of the recoil then get a Remington 700 new or used in the same caliber and you will be suitably armed for anything huntable in western Canada. If the 270 is a bit hot for you then consider a 25-06, 7 X 57 or equivalent but over all, I found 6 mm and 243 on the light side for big deer and anything bigger. Practice your shooting - nobody was born a skilled marksman despite what some guys might think. A 4" blade is all you need for dressing deer sized game - something bigger for moose and elk. Decent binocs are your best friend.
Good luck and have fun - every outing is an adventure....