Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM

Default New bow

Trying to upgrade my bow. I am shooting a bowtech independence right now but can't decide on what new bow I should go to. I really like the prime line by g5. They just came out with the alloy which I'm debating on but can't decide. What are you shooting and are you happy with your bow?
Old 06-04-2014, 03:20 PM

Shoot them all and pick the one you like best.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:38 PM

I've shot most of the top bows... I tried the Mathews creed, Hoyt carbon element and bow tech experience. Those were my 3 favorites and would have been happy with any one. I ended up with the Hoyt carbon element. Honestly the only reason I went with Hoyt is cause I had never owned one and wanted a change. It does shoot amazing tho. I I've owned a lot of Mathews bows and they are great.

SO
Old 06-04-2014, 07:39 PM

My kids faktor is smooth as butter!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:22 PM

I just shot the Mathews z7 magnum and really liked it. Never shot a Mathews before. I was really impressed
Old 06-05-2014, 12:20 AM

I shoot a Defy and an Alloy and needless to say really like them both.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 06-05-2014, 01:15 AM

I have shot many bows over the last year and would say my top picks are the Energy 35, Prime Shift, Prime Defy, and impact, Hoyt Faktor 34 in that order. Try and get to a shop or shops and shoot a bunch. I personally did not like the Alloy and was hyped to shoot it but found the draw cycle not as good as the shift or defy. Enjoy shooting what ever chooses you.

Cheers, Elk
Old 06-05-2014, 02:13 AM

So it seems that most people like Hoyt, g5, so if I go with Mathews with I be going down in the quility of bow from my bowtech or is Mathews still a good quility bow? I just want a bow that is going to last me a long time.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:48 AM

Mathews still makes a good bow, I had a creed which was nice but after shooting the shift I preferred it, I then got a shift which I absolutely loved but being a dumb as I shot the impact and bought that along with the defy. I liked them both but shot the shift considerably better. I shot the impact for a while with too short of a draw length and it seemed I was shooting worse and worse, shoulder was getting sore. I then was in red deer archery and figured I would shoot a few bows one of which was the energy, I had not heard the hype about them. But after shooting it I was hooked. Ended up buying 2 of them one for target and one for hunting, it has a very similar draw cycle as the shift with a slightly longer ata. By far a great shooting bow and am really enjoying shooting it. I shot the chill which was a good shooting bow as well. I would recommend just like most to take a few days and hit up the shops to shoot as many different bows as you can, you will then feel what is the right bow for you. All brands have their pros and cons but are all good bows.

Cheers, Elk
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 AM

Have to agree with above...shoot a lot of brands let the bow pick you...you will know...

mathews has been an top inovator in bows for many years and make quaility bows...they just seem to be at a lull lately...

Diefinatly try APA...great quaility and warrenty...warrenty is fast as most bows from the US other than strings and cams usually have to have parts ordered...4-6 weeks on some brands and parts...its impossible for a dealer to stock all parts for all bows...

APA is Canadian and parts are overnight..even all major parts and they are a sweet bow...will be hunting with one opening day this year [APA AIR at a right price $729.99 new]
Just somethings to consider...

Neil
Old 06-05-2014, 10:05 AM

Another guy here who says try as many as you can. Get into a few archery shop, I tend to avoid the big box stores for archery gear unless I know exactly what I want and its cheaper than a archery only store. You dont say where you are from but if you let us know we can reccomend some good shops to visit, if you dont already have that part figured.

I think pretty much all the bow makers have good product now. When I was looking this spring I shot Matthew's, Bowtech, Elite, APA and Hoyt. I was looking for a hunting bow to do some 3D with, went in thinking that the Bowtech Experiance was going to be my new bow. That was before I started shooting some bows, liked the Bowtech least of them, not a fan of the draw cycle and it felt really jumpy on release, not stable. I loved the APA Mamba M7 and the Hoyt Faktor (Z5 cam is awesome). I would have been very happy with either, went with the APA because it was $150 less, has the tool center, hanger and handle, plus they are Canadian. I also really liked the Elite (nice draw, great back wall) and the Matthews shot nice but I was not a fan of the grip or the looks. I did not shoot any G5 bows but there are a lot of guys on here that shoot them.

Good luck with your search, you'll know when you find it.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:52 AM

I live in the edmonton area. I have been to Sherwood park archery as well as trophy book out in spruce grove. Where is a place that sells ATA so I can try one of those bows?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:05 PM

I would head to Pipestone and see Jim he sells APA. There's a place in North Edmonton that sells them too, I think its called Wylde Archery? Lawrence at Accurate Archery in Alberta beach also sells Hoyt, Mathews and Prime/G5 bows and it s worth the drive to head there too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 06-05-2014, 01:32 PM

L.O.S.T. Arrow Archery near Irma/Wainwright has them also plus demos to try...

Neil
Old 06-05-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
L.O.S.T. Arrow Archery near Irma/Wainwright has them also plus demos to try...

Neil
Sorry Neil. I didn't list your shop because it seemed like he was in the Edmonton area.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Sorry Neil. I didn't list your shop because it seemed like he was in the Edmonton area.
...Yup No Problem..understand !!

Neil
Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM

I shoot a pse dream season and love it. As others have said, shoot lots of bows. Try all the brands. You may be surprised at how some of the other bows shoot. Don't gyp yourself, by not trying them.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM

I went with Prime Alloy.. got it from Accurate Archery.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

I went with Prime Alloy.. got it from Accurate Archery.
I like your blue chair.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I like your blue chair.
Its not my chair.... ha!! Mine were dark green
Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 PM

Default Apa

I couldn't be happier with my APA . I picked it up at L.O.S.T in wainwright well worth the drive . Neil set me right up with outstanding service!,shot my first Robin Hood that day
Old 06-06-2014, 07:10 AM

Prime Impact got it from Ace Archery
Old 06-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Went out to accurate archery out in Alberta beach and am so glad I made the drive. Great customer service and really knows his stuff. I'm defiantly going back to purchase my new bow from him. I shot the alloy again and can't imagine buying anything different. So smooth and no vibration.