Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Default Wabamun shore fishing question

Heading to Wabamun Saturday to spend time with the boy. Will be shore fishing and havent been there in summer before.

Would anyone share a general location/road access to start at on the lake?
Looking at google earth I figure the canal on the North side would be doable, and maybe somewhere on the East side to get away from others.
Anyone know the lay of the land out there that could point me in the general area? I did a search and the first few pages didnt help.

I guess what I am hoping for is "get on road such and such and you will be on the right track."

Thanks in advance.
kidd
Old 06-05-2014, 05:49 PM

The canal on the north side isn't bad caught a few small pike from the boat, looks like lots of garbage on shore there as well. Lots of people fish around the train tracks, sun dance seems to be the most popular shore fishing spot. Are you se on pike fishing? North of f wab u could go to east pit and and catch trout.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
The canal on the north side isn't bad caught a few small pike from the boat, looks like lots of garbage on shore there as well. Lots of people fish around the train tracks, sun dance seems to be the most popular shore fishing spot. Are you se on pike fishing? North of f wab u could go to east pit and and catch trout.
I know lots of people fish around the train tracks but if I remember right people were getting ticketed last year for trespassing on CN's land so maybe shouldn't be your first choice.

If you can spare tying up a few hundred bucks in a boat I would do that. A little tinner or even canoe will make fishing around Edmonton much more fun.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I know lots of people fish around the train tracks but if I remember right people were getting ticketed last year for trespassing on CN's land so maybe shouldn't be your first choice.

If you can spare tying up a few hundred bucks in a boat I would do that. A little tinner or even canoe will make fishing around Edmonton much more fun.

I think if u cross the tracks to fish the middle sections you can be fined but I thought the edges were free game, could be wrong tho. Best best for wab is a boat tho as most casting distance in wab is fairly shallow water.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I think if u cross the tracks to fish the middle sections you can be fined but I thought the edges were free game, could be wrong tho. Best best for wab is a boat tho as most casting distance in wab is fairly shallow water.
Yeah I don't know the full details, just remember people were getting tickets last year.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:29 AM

There's a really big bay across the lake from town, just East of the Sundance plant...Range Road 43a passes right near it. The shore along there is all rocky around the train tracks, and we often see people shore fishing from the rocks there and doing reasonably well.

I've only seen it from the water so I'm not sure about the parking situation...I assume people just park along the roadside.

edit: You should also be able to fish off the 2 big rock piers that are out in front of the Sundance plant. There is a parking lot there and you can walk down.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:

why everytime someone asks about shore fishing you suggest getting a boat? if they wanted to get a boat im sure they would. we get it your some big kayak guru. if someone wants a boat they will get one just answer the question they actuallly ask.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
why everytime someone asks about shore fishing you suggest getting a boat? if they wanted to get a boat im sure they would. we get it your some big kayak guru. if someone wants a boat they will get one just answer the question they actuallly ask.
Has nothing to do with being a kayaker... Has to do with me starting out in their same situation. I tried shore fishing around Edmonton for a couple years then gave up on fishing for a couple years because the shore fishing here is crap(compared to SK anyways, I know there are people that will argue out the ying yang that it is awesome here but it really isn't...)...

I bought my first boat which was a crappy canoe and it made the world of difference.

Lots of people don't realize you can buy a cheap canoe or tinner for as little as $250-500 use it for a year or two and resell it for the same amount. It won't be pretty but it will greatly improve your fishing experience imo. Nothing like father and son time out in a boat fishing, it is the main reason I love fishing these days...

Now why don't you propose something to help him out like I have...
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 AM

well ive been shore fishing for 5 years and never had a problem, if you know what your doing its far from crap. yes boats are great i just bought one for myself. for some people even 300$ isnt in the cards. and to some people they just enjoy shore fishing. Geezle already nailed it so i have no further suggestions.

its like if you asked a question about where to fish on your yak and i went and told you a shore fishing spot, its dumb and irrelevant.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:16 AM

drive around the lake and look for spots, that's what I had to do, go outside the box and explore, that's half the fun.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
drive around the lake and look for spots, that's what I had to do, go outside the box and explore, that's half the fun.
agreed...... but...... some people have very limited time in busy lives and dont want to spend their 1 or 2 days in the feild searching......but yes.....i love exploring too.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
agreed...... but...... some people have very limited time in busy lives and dont want to spend their 1 or 2 days in the feild searching......but yes.....i love exploring too.
good stuff, but it wont take 1-2 days driving around wabamun looking for spots, takes minutes, max an hour
Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Is this on the south side of the lake east of the Sundance power plant where you walk down the tracks to fish in the middle on the north side of the tracks where the rocks are? I used to take my kids here all the time.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:19 PM

It's moonlight bay there are 2 or 3 little islands for the train bridge, from what I had saw and heard from cn is if you cross the tracks it's trespassing on there property.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
It's moonlight bay there are 2 or 3 little islands for the train bridge, from what I had saw and heard from cn is if you cross the tracks it's trespassing on there property.
Thanks Lund rebel...haven't been to Wabamum for a few years now. Kids have grown up and are not interested in fishing anymore.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
Is this on the south side of the lake east of the Sundance power plant where you walk down the tracks to fish in the middle on the north side of the tracks where the rocks are? I used to take my kids here all the time.
no by the provincial park on the north side of wab.

i have fished these tracks before. i did VERY good on hammer handles. almost one a cast. i could see the school of perch swimming by and i just bombed a crankbait out and would catch the pike that were ambushing the school.

they dont use the tracks there anymore i think. when i was there last summer they were all rusted on the top indicating a train hadnt been there in a long time.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:09 PM

If the don't use the tracks anymore, why would they fine you for trespassing? Pretty sad if they do because you are not really hurting anything by fishing from the shore. Or am I thinking about the wrong spot still.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
If the don't use the tracks anymore, why would they fine you for trespassing? Pretty sad if they do because you are not really hurting anything by fishing from the shore. Or am I thinking about the wrong spot still.
wrong spot haha.

the north side tracks are used daily, the south ones by the power plant are not.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Thanks everyone for the hand. I appreciate it. I think I will go find the Sundance Plant and take it from there. If I find the train trackas I will watch for no tresspassing signs. My driving around time will hopefully be a little shorter now. Have a good weekend.
kidd
Old 06-06-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigsy View Post
well ive been shore fishing for 5 years and never had a problem, if you know what your doing its far from crap. yes boats are great i just bought one for myself. for some people even 300$ isnt in the cards. and to some people they just enjoy shore fishing. Geezle already nailed it so i have no further suggestions.

its like if you asked a question about where to fish on your yak and i went and told you a shore fishing spot, its dumb and irrelevant.
I guess it depends on your standards. If you started out fishing from shore here in Edmonton area without prior shore fishing experience or boat fishing experience it probably would seem fine.

I was used to Sask where even from shore I could go and catch a few pike and walleye from shore and take home a tasty supper. One thing I have learned around Edmonton is that even if you have a boat it is hard to catch supper. That right there took me a long time to get used to because I love eating fresh fish.

For me fishing in a boat around Edmonton is 10 times better then shore fishing but that is just my opinion and that is why I recommend to everyone that getting a boat is worthwhile, even if it is the cheapest crappiest thing you can buy at least it will get you out on the water and on the fish.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:55 AM

Default Update on Wabamun shore fishing

Well, I thought I would report back here on the day of fishing, since a few members helped out with suggestions on where to fish from shore on the lake.
For the record, I do own a boat but its not at home and I thought any fishing is better than no fishing.

Went out to the breakwater next to the Sundance plant first. Caught one pike that was covered with sores of some kind. There were four other guys there and the boy and I watched one guy hoist a pike out of the water, only to have something snap and the pike fell to the rocks. The guy was only concerned about the broken rod and left the fish laying on the rocks for far too long. Finally I yell over to him to deal with his fish and throw it back, which he then did without saying a word. He then also threw his rod into the water. It was at that point that I realized that all four were buddies and that they may have been into the sauce pretty good. I was getting an uneasy feeling and didnt want them to decide to give me a hard time for telling the one guy what he should be doing so we packed up to find another spot.

Just as we were leaving the shoreline we stopped to watch a school of suckers swim by and then noticed a boat heading our way. It was two Fish and Wildlife officers. They checked my license and then started writing tickets to the other guys. It seems that they had been watching from somewhere and they knew what to expect upon their arrival. There was even a Transalta security pickup that showed up at the same time they did, maybe just to give support.
The one officer that checked me and the boy was a super nice guy and he told us to go hit the Provincial Park for a more family oriented experience. I did ask him about fishing at the tracks East of our location and he said that CN police might ticket us there.
The docks at the Provincial Park were a zoo so we carried on to look for a better spot. We did find a boat lauch at what I think was called Prospect Point. We caught another pike there and then the rain chased us away.

Overall not a great experience and of all the other lakes choosing Wab from shore wasn't the best idea I've had.

kidd
Old 06-09-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on your standards. If you started out fishing from shore here in Edmonton area without prior shore fishing experience or boat fishing experience it probably would seem fine.

I was used to Sask where even from shore I could go and catch a few pike and walleye from shore and take home a tasty supper. One thing I have learned around Edmonton is that even if you have a boat it is hard to catch supper. That right there took me a long time to get used to because I love eating fresh fish.

For me fishing in a boat around Edmonton is 10 times better then shore fishing but that is just my opinion and that is why I recommend to everyone that getting a boat is worthwhile, even if it is the cheapest crappiest thing you can buy at least it will get you out on the water and on the fish.

I also moved here from Sask and although fishing may seem tougher it definately isnt at all. Fish the NSR from shore hard and many other lakes within an hour with some success, dont get me wrong i had to scout and find some places but such is life not much just falls into your lap. Although I did purchase a boat last year I still hunt from shore my fair share thats for sure....

Keep it up Kidd and have fun...