Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 PM

Default Reloader 19,7mm08 loads

Anybody have any info reloading 7mm08 140gr with reloader 19
Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 PM

Try the Nosler site, or the Alliant site, both have loads for 140- 145gr bullets, and R-19.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:09 PM

Here's one from Nosler 7

Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Here's one from Nosler 7

Why the hell would Nosler use a 26" test barrel in a 7-08? Nobody runs a 26" 7-08. Would be nice if they used factory guns for there tests.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpm5 View Post
Why the hell would Nosler use a 26" test barrel in a 7-08? Nobody runs a 26" 7-08. Would be nice if they used factory guns for there tests.
That's right, I run a 28" 7-08.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
What real difference would it make if they used a 22" or 24" barrel instead? It's not going to make a significant difference in the load recipes, and anyone with a clue uses a chronograph to determine the velocity produced in their rifle anyways.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What real difference would it make if they used a 22" or 24" barrel instead? It's not going to make a significant difference in the load recipes, and anyone with a clue uses a chronograph to determine the velocity produced in their rifle anyways.
I do use a chrony graph. Still nobody uses a 26" bbl in 7-08 or at least it's not common. I forgot there is so many experts on the forum and I should just read and learn from them.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:44 AM

I agree completely with RPM5. IMO, companies that produce loading manuals, should use the length of barrel that is most commonly used for hunting rifles in that particular cartridge. To do otherwise is misleading.

Certainly, it is wise to use a chronograph for your own loads, and I'm sure that most serious loaders have them. However, when one goes to the range, most everyone is working up loads, but at least this year, I have not seen a single person at SPFGA, likely the largest range in the province, shooting over a chronograph.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I agree completely with RPM5. IMO, companies that produce loading manuals, should use the length of barrel that is most commonly used for hunting rifles in that particular cartridge. To do otherwise is misleading.

Certainly, it is wise to use a chronograph for your own loads, and I'm sure that most serious loaders have them. However, when one goes to the range, most everyone is working up loads, but at least this year, I have not seen a single person at SPFGA, likely the largest range in the province, shooting over a chronograph.
So what length barrel would you choose for a 7mm-08, if you were writing a manual? There are many 18-20" barrels in ultralight rifles, but there are also many 22-24" barrels in standard weight sporting rifles. As far as chronographs go, I have seen quite a few at our local range this year. The people using them, myself included ,tend to show up early to avoid the crowds. As well, the new Magnetospeed units are getting popular, because no setup forward of the firing line is required.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Anybody have any info reloading 7mm08 140gr with reloader 19
R19 will produce spectacular accuracy and upper range velocity in the 7mm-08 and the 7mm-08 improved regardless of barrel length. Great choice. Posting of the Nosler data page seems to annoy some but its good data, start low and proceed.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 AM

Reloading manual data is a guideline...you could take two identical rifles and one will shoot faster than the other whereas the other rifle might be more accurate.

That's why sometimes two different manuals will have different load min and max values, because of what they got from their tests. You cannot rely in load book data, but use it as a reference. They cannot possibly test each and every load in each and every rifle.

Some loads will be tested in 22 inch barrels and some 26, that's why they list those parameters in publishing the data. The data is not only for hunters but also for target and other genres of shooters.

The only way to know your velocity with a rifle/load/bullet combo truly is to use empirical and measured velocity.

Use the manual as a guideline and create your own personal data.

A lot of the test rifles they have are donated, loaned, or given to them. So they use what they have.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-04-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So what length barrel would you choose for a 7mm-08, if you were writing a manual? There are many 18-20" barrels in ultralight rifles, but there are also many 22-24" barrels in standard weight sporting rifles. As far as chronographs go, I have seen quite a few at our local range this year. The people using them, myself included ,tend to show up early to avoid the crowds. As well, the new Magnetospeed units are getting popular, because no setup forward of the firing line is required.
Very simple. 22". It's more realistic and you know it. If you can find me a production 7-08 hunting rifle with a 26" barrel please let me know who makes it, as I will have learned something new, not that that takes much.

When I go to our range, which is quite frequently, I always go when she opens up, and still haven't seen a chrono yet this year.

But, you folks in Fort Mac have all the toys
Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A lot of the test rifles they have are donated, loaned, or given to them. So they use what they have.

LC
LC, those buggers are making record profits and they can darn well afford to purchase Savage Axis or Ruger Americans, don't you think?

RPM's point was that a 26" barrel is misleading. I think he's right.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
LC, those buggers are making record profits and they can darn well afford to purchase Savage Axis or Ruger Americans, don't you think?

RPM's point was that a 26" barrel is misleading. I think he's right.
I agree I think they should diversify what they use for load data. Test rifles...having a 26 inch barrel in each set of data will sway the data towards the higher velocities for sure....but that's my point, read past the "doctored" results and collect your data for your rifle.

Case in point on the test rifle above, I have never heard of a Wiseman barrel....maybe I should have but I haven't. Wiseman likely gave them a test rifle inorder to get their name in the book

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 06-04-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I agree I think they should diversify what they use for load data. Test rifles...having a 26 inch barrel in each set of data will sway the data towards the higher velocities for sure....but that's my point, read past the "doctored" results and collect your data for your rifle.

Case in point on the test rifle above, I have never heard of a Wiseman barrel....maybe I should have but I haven't. Wiseman likely gave them a test rifle inorder to get their name in the book

LC
My point is that in many cases a chronograph is not at the top of a person's list when they begin their reloading journey. Sometimes people never purchase them and rely on data from their handy, dandy Nosler manual. Whether that's wise or not, it is true in a great number of cases.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
My point is that in many cases a chronograph is not at the top of a person's list when they begin their reloading journey. Sometimes people never purchase them and rely on data from their handy, dandy Nosler manual. Whether that's wise or not, it is true in a great number of cases.
Fair enough...even with a chrony I keep track of where a load hits at different distances and create a drop table using that info. I have seen where the measured velocity and the real results don't match a published ballistic table for the load in question.

LC
Old 06-04-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Very simple. 22". It's more realistic and you know it. If you can find me a production 7-08 hunting rifle with a 26" barrel please let me know who makes it, as I will have learned something new, not that that takes much.

When I go to our range, which is quite frequently, I always go when she opens up, and still haven't seen a chrono yet this year.

If you want a rough guess as to the velocity of a load in your rifle, and you don't care if that guess may be over 100fps out, use the velocities printed in the loading manuals. If you actually want to know the velocity of the load in your rifle, use a chronograph.

As to the standard barrel length that the 7mm-08 is offered with, Remington uses 24" barrels on the 700 rifles.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:56 PM

I have two 7mm-08's, one with a 28" barrel, the other is 22.4". Using an average of ten shots in each rifle on the same day with the same ammo the 28" ran an extra 22 fps/inch or 123 fps over the 22.4".
Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
I have two 7mm-08's, one with a 28" barrel, the other is 22.4". Using an average of ten shots in each rifle on the same day with the same ammo the 28" ran an extra 22 fps/inch or 123 fps over the 22.4".
Thanks for the comparison!

When we compared the same factory ammo from my buddies .240wby in a 26inch barrel with mine in a 24 inch....his was exactly 100fps faster than mine.

LC
Old 06-05-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:

OP was looking for R19 data, not velocity data. The load data that was posted is good regardless of chosen test barrel length. If the techs at Nosler used a test barrel the exact length deemed normal by our duo of experts the chance of matching velocity with another barrel chambered and sized exactly the same is nil.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
OP was looking for R19 data, not velocity data. The load data that was posted is good regardless of chosen test barrel length. If the techs at Nosler used a test barrel the exact length deemed normal by our duo of experts the chance of matching velocity with another barrel chambered and sized exactly the same is nil.
No one's purporting to be an expert, Dale.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 AM

I'm no expert either but I bought my rock chucker kit a few years back and received a Speer manual with and they use factory rifles and have been the most accurate book so far. There are more factory rifles out there then 26" barrel 7-08 and I think they compose there manuals torwards factory rifles and not test barrels unlike Barnes and nosler . For example if you can find it , I'm getting 3250 with a 120 bT and 120 ttsx in my 7-08 Finn light with cfe 223 and have been as high as 3350 with no pressure . Nosler does not even list rl-17 in there wsm but all I can say is wow!! 168 at 3275 fps. Just play around and use what ever book you have as a starting point and work up from there.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
The vellocity in a loading manuaal is nothing but a benchmark, or a guideline if you will.
I have seen 50 to 100FPS differences in the past on several rifles with the same load !
Even with the same length of barrel you will most likely be quite different from a published velocity for a myriad of reasons, elevation, humidity, powder lot, chamber ,individual barrel, etc.
Cat
Old 06-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I'm no expert either but I bought my rock chucker kit a few years back and received a Speer manual with and they use factory rifles and have been the most accurate book so far. There are more factory rifles out there then 26" barrel 7-08 and I think they compose there manuals torwards factory rifles and not test barrels unlike Barnes and nosler . For example if you can find it , I'm getting 3250 with a 120 bT and 120 ttsx in my 7-08 Finn light with cfe 223 and have been as high as 3350 with no pressure . Nosler does not even list rl-17 in there wsm but all I can say is wow!! 168 at 3275 fps. Just play around and use what ever book you have as a starting point and work up from there.
Using factory rifles to shoot load data means pressure data is monitored with strain gauges taped on barrels over the chamber. This data leaves a lot of interpretation as it relies on stretching steel. I know there are the typical high pressure sign's that re-loaders have relied on forever but if I buy a manual I like think data was acquired with state of the art lab equipment.

Bill Wiseman has been building Universal Receivers / Wiseman Barrels and other assorted pressure testing equipment for the military and ammo industry. His equipment is used to test the accuracy of strain gauges.
As for chosen test barrel length it only makes sense to test longer barrels as they generate higher pressure. Some years ago some genius gun writer without a clue mentioned the ammo factories commonly test velocity with 28" barrels to overstate velocities achieved. It might of been to verify long barrel safe pressures.

There is a lot of variance in data from manual to manual but the worst I've seen is the new Berger book. Most of the loads are pathetic, not even a good fire-form load. The most realistic data is Hodgdon's on line. Bought the Berger book for 6.5X47 Lapua load data, but instead used the old Powley Powder Computer Cardboard slide rule to get a good starting load. The Powley starting load was higher than Berger's maximum load.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Using factory rifles to shoot load data means pressure data is monitored with strain gauges taped on barrels over the chamber. This data leaves a lot of interpretation as it relies on stretching steel. I know there are the typical high pressure sign's that re-loaders have relied on forever but if I buy a manual I like think data was acquired with state of the art lab equipment.

Bill Wiseman has been building Universal Receivers / Wiseman Barrels and other assorted pressure testing equipment for the military and ammo industry. His equipment is used to test the accuracy of strain gauges.
As for chosen test barrel length it only makes sense to test longer barrels as they generate higher pressure. Some years ago some genius gun writer without a clue mentioned the ammo factories commonly test velocity with 28" barrels to overstate velocities achieved. It might of been to verify long barrel safe pressures.

There is a lot of variance in data from manual to manual but the worst I've seen is the new Berger book. Most of the loads are pathetic, not even a good fire-form load. The most realistic data is Hodgdon's on line. Bought the Berger book for 6.5X47 Lapua load data, but instead used the old Powley Powder Computer Cardboard slide rule to get a good starting load. The Powley starting load was higher than Berger's maximum load.
Very helpful post. Thank you.