Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-09-2014, 01:47 PM

Default Or

Buy crates of non-corrosive ammo with lead core and HP. Ukrainian not sure if more coming out or will be needed in case of civil war........Harold
Old 06-09-2014, 09:34 PM

Ive got many friends who shoot the sks and i'm thinking about buying one for fun too , from their experiences the guns are solid, i wouldn't worry about it
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
If you got it to shoot it I wouldn't worry.

Why do people want to ban the sks at the range for making a mess and not the member that owns it and failed to clean up?
I have wondered , with all the cases ,wouldn't the range make money from the metal recycler ??
Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 AM

shoot it. that is what they are for.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 AM

As others have said, give it hell...wipe the crown down with oil...don't look back. I wouldn't return the thing if it's running well.

As for the empty cases at the range~I think the concerns/complaints are justified a little. (talking about the range I visit) My bolt action doesn't launch casings practically straight up, then rain them down on my neighbor's bench/rifle/scope. If you tried shooting a semi at a trap range without a shell catcher, watch how long it would take for the guy to your right to say something when your hulls are bouncing off of his barrel! (and rightfully so) I see no problem with SKS's at a range, but some consideration of other shooters would be nice. The steel SKS cases don't tend to bend/compress like brass when you step on them either, can feel like you're walking on ball bearings if you have 2-3+ guys trying to empty that wooden crate of ammo they each bring with them.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 PM

Don't worry about the barrel. If it cycles properly you have a solid gun. Nothing more reliable and can take a beating and keep on ticking. Cheap as hell, fun as hell.

As for range etiquitte... Ouch I was one of those guys first couple of times at the range. No one was to my right but the second or third trip the range was busy and I started shooting. I wasn't going all bubba and speed launching 100 rounds down range but I was popping off many rounds over a half hour. Finally I heard one of my shells pop off the rest next to me where another guy was shooting.. Not cool. I apologized to the guy for not paying attention to that earlier. He was totally cool about it but I moved to the end of the shooting line (with no bench ) and continued there.

To the haters... ffs if you don't like the gun and ahve nothing pertinent to the question being asked to offer.. let the guy get real feedback. If you think that your remi/Sako/Tula is so special great, go post a thread about it SKS is a beater gun for a ebater price that can feed you with fun for hours at $.15/shot vs ~$1/shot for your hunting rifles.

Enjoy mate
Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

I've had mine for 23 years and it still works great, just keep shooting yours and enjoy it
Old 06-10-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Most likely if it's a 1951 or younger you're looking at a chrome lined bore.Harold
It is a 1951. Good call. We had it out again and it works flawlessly so I'm just going to keep her lubed up and enjoy.

Again thanks to all for relevant information. It is much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:38 PM

I also bought one of the sks from cabelas and they are indeed refurbished but by the sounds of things yours had a cheap paint job done to cover up the crown it shouldn't affect the performance just keep an eye on it for rust after all they are 60 years old
Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 AM

I equate an SKS to an M-305. Cheap and fun to shoot. Everyone should own both!