Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Default Went with a beretta A-302. then changed my mind.

Are these worth buying or is it smarter to spend a bit more and get a newer model?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:39 PM

I have an A303 and I love it.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 AM

I have one and it's a better shotgun than the new outlander but it won't eject light sheet loads. Other than that it's a great shotgun.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Banned

They are great guns, The only draw back to the 302 is that if it is chambered for 3 inch it will not cycle loads like Federal Top Gun well. As strictly a hunting gun they are super reliable, easy to clean and tough.

They usually go for $500-600 used, that is a great shotgun for that price.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:02 AM

I've read the same thing about the lighter 1oz loads. Read somewhere that a gunsmith can fix this by opening the gas port a bit. Shouldn't be an issue for me cause I don't shoot anything less than 1 1/8oz anyway.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 AM

For $500 or $600 I'd grab it as long as it still looks half decent. I would never sell my A303 . I have had it from new. Tough shotgun to beat for hunting. Still fine for skeet as you can still dump the spent hull manually. And it will eject the odd one.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:18 AM

I bought my 303 off a guy on the forum and I doubt it was ever used, same problem with the eject. I just cleaned or and re-lubed it and NEVER had the problem again even shooting with the lightest cheapest target loads.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
I bought my 303 off a guy on the forum and I doubt it was ever used, same problem with the eject. I just cleaned or and re-lubed it and NEVER had the problem again even shooting with the lightest cheapest target loads.
Beretta solved that problem when they came out with the 303.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I would never sell my A303 . I have had it from new. Tough shotgun to beat for hunting. Still fine for skeet as you can still dump the spent hull manually. And it will eject the odd one.
I was referring to this comment.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
I was referring to this comment.
Ya, he should not be having ejection problems with the A303
Old 06-08-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
For $500 or $600 I'd grab it as long as it still looks half decent. I would never sell my A303 . I have had it from new. Tough shotgun to beat for hunting. Still fine for skeet as you can still dump the spent hull manually. And it will eject the odd one.
Skeet requires that you shoot doubles, so if a gun won't cycle reliably with target loads, it's useless for skeet.

My 302 would not cycle 1-1/8 ounce target loads reliably.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 AM

If the chamber is marked 3", it will probably not cycle target loads. If it is marked 2 3/4", then it should cycle them with no problems.
The 3" chambered barrels have smaller gas ports. This can be drilled out to allow the use of lighter loads but if you use heavy target loads afterwards, you will eventually beat the action to death.
One of the greatest semi auto shotguns ever made.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Skeet requires that you shoot doubles, so if a gun won't cycle reliably with target loads, it's useless for skeet.

My 302 would not cycle 1-1/8 ounce target loads reliably.
Your rite. If Your good enough to shoot doubles you'll need a different shotgun. Unless you want to get the ports drilled but I didn't want to mess up a good gun.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Is it possible to just change the spring out? Put a lighter spring in when shooting skeet?
Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Your rite. If Your good enough to shoot doubles you'll need a different shotgun. Unless you want to get the ports drilled but I didn't want to mess up a good gun.
Doubles are requird in skeet, in doubles trap, and on some sporting clays shots, being good enough to shoot them really has no bearing on the whole thing in general, that is why there are certain classes so one can shoot in his/her particular class.
I would never own a gun tat won't eject lighter loads if was only going to have one, because shooting partridge for example needs a differnt shell tan for geese or ducks.
Some shooters use lighter loads for even pheasnats of they know they are going to be shooting tight holding birds.
Cat
Old 06-09-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
Is it possible to just change the spring out? Put a lighter spring in when shooting skeet?

I've never heard of anyone doing this.
It may be more trouble than it's worth since the spring is in a tube inside the stock and while it isn't hard to change, it's not something you'd want to do all the time.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:34 PM

I believe Weatherby makes a fairly cheap semi-auto that comes with two pistons. You can swap the piston out depending on what type of load you are shooting. Not sure if the piston have different sized ports or different weights. Also, not sure if that helps for you situation.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Doubles are requird in skeet, in doubles trap, and on some sporting clays shots, being good enough to shoot them really has no bearing on the whole thing in general, that is why there are certain classes so one can shoot in his/her particular class.
I would never own a gun tat won't eject lighter loads if was only going to have one, because shooting partridge for example needs a differnt shell tan for geese or ducks.
Some shooters use lighter loads for even pheasnats of they know they are going to be shooting tight holding birds.
Cat
It's fine for hunting loads! 7 1/2 included as long as it's 11/8 oz loads or better. Not the best gun for trap or skeet. Still a good shotgun. Buy once cry once is still the best advice going. I will keep my useless opinions to myself. Cat is rite. I now have the outlander. Even though the A303 and a302 are better built guns it's nice to have to worry about what you feed the thing.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 06-09-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams View Post
I believe Weatherby makes a fairly cheap semi-auto that comes with two pistons. You can swap the piston out depending on what type of load you are shooting. Not sure if the piston have different sized ports or different weights. Also, not sure if that helps for you situation.
You are correct and the system works as advertised, but even although the Weatherby is a close copy of a 300 series Beretta, the gas valve won't interchange.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 PM

So the a302 arrived in the mail today so I went out and shot a quick couple rounds through it. my lightest loads I had on hand were some kent 1 1/8 oz number 7 1/2 loads. they cycled fine. Gun looks great. came with a lot more dings in the stock than I was led to believe and some small scratches. and some rust on the barrel. the gun I bet hasn't been fired for 15 years.
All in all it's a nice looking gun and cycles well but man she sure does beat my shoulder up I may have to find it a new home. I originally bought it thinking it would have a lighter recoil than my 870 wingmaster so my wife could come shoot with me. man was I wrong.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-13-2014, 09:47 AM

It certainly goods pretty good in the picture. You have to remember that these guns haven't been new for quite a few years now.
Does it have choke tubes?
Is the barrel marked 2 3/4 " or 3 " chamber?

Are the Kent loads you're using the 3 dram or 1250 - 1300 fps ammo because I have an A303 that is as soft to shoot as any semi I've ever fired. My daughters use it when we go out and have never complained.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:56 PM

Yah it is in great shape. had the 3 original chokes. it was a 3" barrel. not sure on the kent loads just had a couple in my ammo pouch.
That's old news though. I have a used 391 urika gold sporting on the way
Wife says I have an addiction and needs help. She has finally figured me out
Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 PM

In some ways, the 391 is not a better gun than the A302. I've had more than one offer to trade my A303 straight across for a brand new 391.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:21 PM

Was going to sell my A-302 as need to raise money for a scope (and she just sitting in its box).
But after reading all posts- not sure-May be I should keep it.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:34 PM

Default buy a 2 3/4" barrel

Western Gun Parts has/had new Browning B80 2 3/4" barrels for sale with invector chokes for under $200 .Same as a Beretta 302 .Fits all the 300 series.That's what I did for my A303 magnum........Harold