Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 10:53 AM

Default Highwood and Livingstone fiss

Out fishing this weekend and caught some nice fiss. thought i'd share so we'll see if i can figure out how to post pics. All of them on a short 3wt too, the 18' cutty was a battle lol

Highwood Cutty 1.jpg

Highwood Cutty 2.jpg

K Country Rod.jpg

Livingstone bull.jpg

Livingstone Cutty 2.jpg

Livingstone cutty.jpg
Old 07-29-2014, 12:02 PM

Ill add some more photos of the trip! That 18"er looks more like a Bow than cutty there brah. The last bully here actually came up to take a dry! O and nice net there by the way

Last edited by Sedativ3; 07-29-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM

That net is a marvel of engineering haha and those fish look like lazy nymph eatin fish that just happen to have dry flies staged into their lips. Your not foolin nobody lol

Last edited by BeardedOnion; 07-29-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM

Looks like a great day out on the water, some very nice looking fish
Old 07-30-2014, 03:57 AM

Im pre dominantly a wet fl guy on the lakes but I hit livingston and cataract last week and it was dry all the way. My buddy and myself hit 5 each on livingston then 4 each on Cataract. Not that anyone was counting! lol
He swore by his adams irresistable. Me? I use a cahill variation that I designed!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
Im pre dominantly a wet fl guy on the lakes but I hit livingston and cataract last week and it was dry all the way. My buddy and myself hit 5 each on livingston then 4 each on Cataract. Not that anyone was counting! lol
He swore by his adams irresistable. Me? I use a cahill variation that I designed!
Sounds like a good day, we were also out there last week. Cataract is a beautiful creek! Did you guys make it to the falls? And it seemed like they were hitting mostly large hoppers for me.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedOnion View Post
Sounds like a good day, we were also out there last week. Cataract is a beautiful creek! Did you guys make it to the falls? And it seemed like they were hitting mostly large hoppers for me.
So I have to apologize because I stopped where the day use falls area is (where the livingston falls sign is) and the area is all torn up. So I'm not sure if that's the area you mean....I've never fished it in the past. It may be fishable but it didn't look overly attractive and we had limited time so we headed right to Cataract. It fished well but I found it much better the summer before last. But cutties and the livingston in general seems to be really good when its good and still pretty damned good when its not good hahahah

I'm always willing to take day trips down and split on gas if you or any of your crew are looking for people to trek the rivers and creeks with.
I'm also planning a Rawson trip again soon.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 AM

Cataract looked almost exactally the same as I remember it. The picnic area is another story. The creek itself, in fact, seemed to a even a little better than previous years as some of the holes seem like the may even be a little deeper (maybe its my imagination)
Old 08-01-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
So I have to apologize because I stopped where the day use falls area is (where the livingston falls sign is) and the area is all torn up. So I'm not sure if that's the area you mean....I've never fished it in the past. It may be fishable but it didn't look overly attractive and we had limited time so we headed right to Cataract. It fished well but I found it much better the summer before last. But cutties and the livingston in general seems to be really good when its good and still pretty damned good when its not good hahahah

I'm always willing to take day trips down and split on gas if you or any of your crew are looking for people to trek the rivers and creeks with.
I'm also planning a Rawson trip again soon.
No i was talking about the falls in Cataract creek, we were camped at catarct creek rec site and hiked down stream roughly a km or 2 from the campground and thats the set of falls i was talking about haha. cataract fished not too bad (mostly brookies) but livingstone definately fished better with some really nice sized fish in there. And ya if we head down there again this year i will keep ya in mind
Old 08-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedOnion View Post
No i was talking about the falls in Cataract creek, we were camped at catarct creek rec site and hiked down stream roughly a km or 2 from the campground and thats the set of falls i was talking about haha. cataract fished not too bad (mostly brookies) but livingstone definately fished better with some really nice sized fish in there. And ya if we head down there again this year i will keep ya in mind
Maybe a dumb question, but is this Cat Creek the one off of Highway 40? Great pics BTW.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe108 View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but is this Cat Creek the one off of Highway 40? Great pics BTW.
I believe so yup
Old 08-07-2014, 01:08 PM

There is both a Cat Creek and Cataract Creek. Not the same creek, although they flow into the Highwood with 15 or so k's from each other.
Cataract Creek comes from the south and is crossed by the forestry trunk road (940) around 15 k's south of Highway 40 (at Highwood Junction).
Cat Creek comes from the east and is crossed by Highway 40 around 10 k's north of Highwood House.

Hope that makes sense - and don't trust the distances I'm giving. They are rough guesses off the top of my head. Best bet - get a map of the area. They are clearly marked.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Looks like a great time. I love how you can see the rippling muscle under the skin so easily on river bullies. 6-pack? Pfff that fish has a 30-pack.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
There is both a Cat Creek and Cataract Creek. Not the same creek, although they flow into the Highwood with 15 or so k's from each other.
Cataract Creek comes from the south and is crossed by the forestry trunk road (940) around 15 k's south of Highway 40 (at Highwood Junction).
Cat Creek comes from the east and is crossed by Highway 40 around 10 k's north of Highwood House.

Hope that makes sense - and don't trust the distances I'm giving. They are rough guesses off the top of my head. Best bet - get a map of the area. They are clearly marked.
Awesome! Thanks for the information they similar names and sometimes people contract words as well. Add to that my ease of confusion and sometimes it gets messy!