Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-17-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So nobody here has ever misjudged the distance and had the first shot miss high or low, then adjust their aim and hit an animal with the second shot?
Quote:
Not arguing for or against, but the kid did make a kill shot, at 1300 yards or whatever it was. I would say the kid proved the shot is within his ability.
They had no idea where the first shot impacted, but it missed. The second shot missed the point of aim by multiple feet, it wasn't a near miss. The third shot may, or may not have hit the animal. Best case scenario, the bullet hit where it was aimed twice out of four shots, worst case scenario, only one bullet hit the point of aim. In other words, the shooter missed the point of aim at least 50% of the time, and possibly 75% of the time. I don't consider a person that misses the point of aim 50%-70% of the time to be competent with that shot.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Lannie and Specks et al.

This was a poor example of skill development, and a disrespectful treatment of quarry. Their shots went from 'I dunno' to ' see if that hits'.
Their posting it for public consumption does more to damage hunters and how we are perceived than anything I could post in response.

Yes, cripples do happen. Perhaps we should NOT be advertising such in public bragging and such. No?

My comments here or anywhere else are pretty much ' public damage control' to the cottonheadedninnymuggensez that posted this vid.

Perhaps it's better for our sport if you guys stopped telling us to circle the wagons and support a fellow hunter... To 'buddy!!! WTH?? Why post such stupidity???

You wanna shorten our sports opportunities and longevity.... Just keep going with the 'if your not with us your against us' crap. That line didn't work for me when George W plied that one back in the day.

And if you think what happened on the vid was acceptable, then..... Sheesh!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-17-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Lannie and Specks et al.

This was a poor example of skill development, and a disrespectful treatment of quarry. Their shots went from 'I dunno' to ' see if that hits'.
Their posting it for public consumption does more to damage hunters and how we are perceived than anything I could post in response.

Yes, cripples do happen. Perhaps we should NOT be advertising such in public bragging and such. No?

My comments here or anywhere else are pretty much ' public damage control' to the cottonheadedninnymuggensez that posted this vid.

Perhaps it's better for our sport if you guys stopped telling us to circle the wagons and support a fellow hunter... To 'buddy!!! WTH?? Why post such stupidity???

You wanna shorten our sports opportunities and longevity.... Just keep going with the 'if your not with us your against us' crap. That line didn't work for me when George W plied that one back in the day.

One last time for you Bessie-
It's poor sportsmanship just the same as shooting at a gopher at 400 yards and removing a back leg or shooting at a goose or duck you don't know you will kill for sure. All I am saying is if it's not what you want advertised, don't bring attention to it. Do you think think the non hunting public feels it's okay to wound geese and ducks but moose or deer are not okay. There are countless killing videos on you tube that are done in poor taste and there are many that are much worse than the one we have show cased here. A bright light is cast on this video because we as a community have decided we want to hold it up for anyone to see. Like it or not the people who don't hunt call the kid and his dad "hunters". It does not matter if you say great work or not....
Old 08-17-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
They had no idea where the first shot impacted, but it missed. The second shot missed the point of aim by multiple feet, it wasn't a near miss. The third shot may, or may not have hit the animal. Best case scenario, the bullet hit where it was aimed twice out of four shots, worst case scenario, only one bullet hit the point of aim. In other words, the shooter missed the point of aim at least 50% of the time, and possibly 75% of the time. I don't consider a person that misses the point of aim 50%-70% of the time to be competent with that shot.
Thats a resonable arguement made. Hard to argue with the maths.

If the kid was using a 30.06, he would have taken it on the first shot
Old 08-17-2014, 05:11 PM

Read post #129

I know we are both redneck Albertans but who made us god

I know that every second something dies and some die way worst than hunting can do.. I see it even on tv .. I do damage in every thing I do

every thing is born and will die

such is the circle of life

but I hope its true that every day I spent fishing I get one more day of life added on

this is too deep for freelantz;;;

Food for Thought

David

Quote:
Lannie and Specks et al.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:13 PM

yeah....deep like a papercut.....
Old 08-17-2014, 06:06 PM

Lannie, I get what your saying. Perhaps I need to be clearer. Yes, stuff that shows poor hunting sportsmanship is out there... And when it gets served up in front of me, you want me to turn and not pay attention to it b/c that just shines more of a light on it. Dude. The lights on, we all see it, and I'm going to say 'that's not right, and not good'.
And being a public figure and servant in the community, I am certainly going to say what I think proper behavior is by sporting hunters....

This is, by the way, how we try to influence our sport, society, children and community, by sometimes speaking out when we see what we perceive as wrong behavior.

It's called sociology.

I wish to shape the future of my sport and shape what society thinks about our sport.

Your sweeping it under the rug is a poor way to help your sport in my opinion.

Once again, the issue is out there, the spectacle is already on display, I'm goi g to try to mitigate the damage as best I can.

Speckles.... Yes, stuff dies, life is hard and cruel. I know. Perhaps I should send you a grad speech I once gave to an audience.... It contained instructions for a full life.
1. Witness a birth. Youll then get how incredibly precious we are.

2. Witness a human dying. Then you'll get a deeper apperetiation of #1, and you'll understand the grave responsibility we have when we assist in the death of something.

3.We kill things, it is unavoidable, and the way of things, perhaps you will better understand the depth of this act. And kill some your food. This will give you a deeper appreciation of life and creation. We kill too much by proxy.

I caught a lot of flack for that speech.

Gotta dig potatoes now.... I'll be back.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:15 PM

"Insert internet high five here"

LC
Old 08-17-2014, 07:36 PM

Old 08-17-2014, 08:23 PM

in 2008 16500 ungulates were kill on hi-ways in Alberta
13400 were deer
cost in insurance claims 250 million

the trains killed how many?

and you guys ask me to condone a family hunting?

after I explained that too me every thing is living ..

wow Obed creek spilled killed a creek in hours then went down the Athabasca to the Mackenzie

but the year or two before most mines out here had berm releases killing fish and beavers etc on some streams

around the Whitecourt waste site is closed to hunting

I could go on and on but you should get the point

and you guys are upset because a boy misses at shot on his first moose

you real think that he has not laid on that shooting mat before at the range
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYrsukxyPjo
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...EA2666354574A1

get a life guys wow

still try to use your ethics

David

Last edited by Speckle55; 08-17-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
and you guys are upset because a boy misses at shot on his first moose
And nobody present even knows where the bullet struck. Then his second shot misses the point of aim by multiple feet, and his third shot may also have missed. It isn't simply a case of the first shot being a near miss, it's a case of at least two, and possibly three shots missing, at least two of them missing by multiple feet.

Quote:
you real think that he has not laid on that shooting mat before at the range
Given that at least two, and possibly three shots did not hit the point of aim, he didn't lay on that shooting mat enough before attempting the shots at the moose. Or even more likely, the idiot coaching him wasn't good enough at judging the distance, or at dialing in the scope.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:04 PM

Default Popcorn anyone?

Quote:
I will NOT condone this action and group myself with this behavior.
Sure you wont Bessie....
Don't tell me to either.
Pot, kettle, black.

Quite frankly.... It's sounds like most posting on this thread are more united in their disagreement with this practice.

If I'm 'not one of you' because I don't condone 'sending it' in that manner... Well I'm quite alright with that Lannie.
You have seen the light?

You must have changed your mind Bessie since you wrote this.

"I'd LOVE to see someone plink gophers, coyotes, or paper at 500+ yards some day. I just don;t know anyone like that"
Plink Coyotes and Gophers at 500 + yards-This bought you a lifetime membership in that group.........
Your funny Bessie
Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 PM

Default Ya.... You missed the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
You have seen the light?

You must have changed your mind Bessie since you wrote this.

"I'd LOVE to see someone plink gophers, coyotes, or paper at 500+ yards some day. I just don;t know anyone like that"
Plink Coyotes and Gophers at 500 + yards-This bought you a lifetime membership in that group.........
Your funny Bessie
Thinkin your a touch confused there.

Pretty sure I've been clear on what I dont agree with.
Pretty sure your not clear on what I've posted.

The plinking quote isn't mine. Unless its something I posted a long time ago (if it is... Man you got stalker issues and I'm bettin I'm assuming someone would do such WITH A BETTER SKILL SET, then the skills and practices I saw on the vid).

But ok. Your superior to me.(seeing as how this seems to have gotten all personal)

I'll go with that.

You win.

I'm bad. I'll be quiet now.

There's no hypocrisy in my posts.

But feel free to enlighten me via PM or publicly if you like.
U

And I'm done too... So you can feel good bout Havin the last word and all.

Last edited by bessiedog; 08-17-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Banned

Default post #157

You have potatoes already?

When I had a garden I couldn’t get any till September.

I liked your points on the speech; I had a teacher who gave me something similar.

It keeps me balanced.

Apologize for the derail.

If I harvest I want quick closure.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Tired of the 'if you're not with all hunters your against us' rhetoric.

That video bothered me. Especially the attitudes of the people on the video. Maybe I'm going soft.

If I hunt I want the animal to pass quickly as possible. This video was just a total crapshoot.

Fuel for the antis if you ask me. But hey that's just my opinion.
Fuel for the antis....EXACTLY!!
Please don't pretend to call this disgusting display of sportsmanship and total lack of ethics hunting,there is absolutely ZERO hunting skill involved here.This is ego stroking target shooting on live big game,nothing more.

It's no wonder the antis hate us all with this kind of crap posted on the web.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 AM

Makes me so angry! They should never be allowed to hunt. No respect whatsoever!!!!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Fuel for the antis....EXACTLY!!
Please don't pretend to call this disgusting display of sportsmanship and total lack of ethics hunting,there is absolutely ZERO hunting skill involved here.This is ego stroking target shooting on live big game,nothing more.

It's no wonder the antis hate us all with this kind of crap posted on the web.
The anti's hate us no matter what, and this video is no more fuel for them than any other hunting video. Go look at the comments on ANY hunting video on youtube (whether it be 1 shot, 1 clean kill videos or otherwise) and you will quickly learn IT DOESNT MATTER to them...hunters are hunters in their eyes, and they will hate what we do no matter what.

They really seem to have a hate on for some bow hunting videos because the animal runs away with an arrow hanging out of it...but you guys wouldn't dream of bashing a bow hunter and getting age restrictions placed on his video right?? why not? A far back shot with a bow causes a heck of a lot more suffering...maybe we should start campaigning for the removal of ALL hunting videos from any public forum so that no anti hunters are offended!!

We hunt, we kill, they hate it....so instead of bashing the hell out of a kid for a perfectly legal hunt, we should be sticking together as a hunting community.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Here is a question....how many pull the trigger hoping and praying for a hit? How many pull the trigger knowing it is going to hit?

Personally I feel that video is best left at home and not on YouTube.

Those who attend the rifle rodeo in Drayton and take a shot at the running deer target....know the little things you learn about your shooting abilities by trying a shot on a running target...

LC
Lefty, My .308 is zeroed for 200 meters. I shoot a maximum of 300 m and know where that bullet hits out to 300. I will not shoot unless I'm absolutely sure of a one shot, one kill. I strive for a spinal shot. just in front of the shoulder blades on my white tail. So far, I've been very fortunate and have made perfect kills.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Lefty, My .308 is zeroed for 200 meters. I shoot a maximum of 300 m and know where that bullet hits out to 300. I will not shoot unless I'm absolutely sure of a one shot, one kill. I strive for a spinal shot. just in front of the shoulder blades on my white tail. So far, I've been very fortunate and have made perfect kills.
You know your firearm and your limits and you stay with in it...that is about the best anyone can do.

LC
Old 08-18-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
The anti's hate us no matter what, and this video is no more fuel for them than any other hunting video. Go look at the comments on ANY hunting video on youtube (whether it be 1 shot, 1 clean kill videos or otherwise) and you will quickly learn IT DOESNT MATTER to them...hunters are hunters in their eyes, and they will hate what we do no matter what.

They really seem to have a hate on for some bow hunting videos because the animal runs away with an arrow hanging out of it...but you guys wouldn't dream of bashing a bow hunter and getting age restrictions placed on his video right?? why not? A far back shot with a bow causes a heck of a lot more suffering...maybe we should start campaigning for the removal of ALL hunting videos from any public forum so that no anti hunters are offended!!

We hunt, we kill, they hate it....so instead of bashing the hell out of a kid for a perfectly legal hunt, we should be sticking together as a hunting community.
If a guy is throwing arrows at an animal from any distance and has to walk the arrows into the animal, all the while talking like those on the video of the moose, yeah, I'd say something about it.
It's NOT the kid we have the issues with , he is only doing what he is told by his father.

Cat
Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:

Agree completely.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:

It's not the anti's hearts we're after, it's the people on the fence. This video does much to alienate those people.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-18-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If a guy is throwing arrows at an animal from any distance and has to walk the arrows into the animal, all the while talking like those on the video of the moose, yeah, I'd say something about it.
It's NOT the kid we have the issues with , he is only doing what he is told by his father.

Cat
Has anyone here ever miss judged a range with a bow and missed a shot? I will admit I have, was lucky that the deer just kept standing there and made a good clean second shot.

I honestly think that most people have more of an issue of how the father was talking. I'm not a long range hunter but it seems to me that they miss judged something and took the second shot to confirm what corrections that they needed to do. It's not like they just emptied the whole clip on a whim like a lot of people do.

I will also admit that I don't like the video, But I'm not about to jump on the ban wagon because of poor decisions and a bad display of sportsman ship. And I am not trying to single anyone out but look at some of the comments on here:I don't support questionable hunting practices, That isn't hunting Ect. and this is from hunters which I am sure have never ever miss judged a shot or hit a blade of grass and missed a shot.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Banned

It's nice to see a young fellow interested in hunting and shooting, he could be doing a lot worse things.

I hope he doesn't let the morality police discourage him.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
It's not the anti's hearts we're after, it's the people on the fence. This video does much to alienate those people.
I will also agree with this, but it doesn't alienate all the people on the fence.

Some people would rather see a hunter take an animal with a spear or an atlatl because they appreciate that it takes a great amount of skill and time to be able to hunt like are ancestors did. Some people agree with only archery and some do not. Some people don't like guy's driving around and shooting the first thing they see, no skill involved and some support driving around shooting animals. Ect. Point is I don't think it is right to throw hunters under the bus because of what some people think because some other people might see it differently. The people on the fence as you put it are just as diverse as us hunters and all have different opinions on how things should be done.

Biggest issue now day's is people put what they consider acceptable out there for the whole world to see. Well we all no what is acceptable to one may not be acceptable to another.

I don't know what the solution to this is, maybe there should be another module in the hunter training courses about putting video's out for everybody to see. All this thread is doing is bringing one more method of hunting closer to being banned because like it or not we just show cased something that would never had this much attention. Google long range hunting called hunting and see what comes up.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:55 AM

ahhh breaking the barriers

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...6EAB0FCEB1BBF8

David
Old 08-18-2014, 02:36 PM

Pretty good shot for 1200 yrds, I've seen people shoot worse at 100yrds. I would have tried to get another 1100yrds closer myself but to each their own