Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 10:41 PM

Default Hunting socks what kind do you wear.....

Just bought a pair of Irish setter 200 gram thinsulate elk stalkers,on sale at cabelas.Was wondering what type of socks to wear with them.Went on hike with them right out of the box,felt great was wearing a regular sport (tube) sock.All I have are heavy wool socks for late season which I wear with my other winter boots was wondering if anyone got suggestion on what type/brand of sock to wear with elk stalkers.thanks Roar
Old 08-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Banned

Cool

Helly hanson for warm to med cold . Wig wam form alberta cold.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 PM

Ice breaker and Helly Hanson....
Old 08-10-2014, 11:04 PM

Default hunting socks

Hard to beat good old wool socks. Keep you warm and dry.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostguide1 View Post
Hard to beat good old wool socks. Keep you warm and dry.
X2 I wear wool socks all year round. Can't beet good wool socks

Gordon
Old 08-10-2014, 11:28 PM
Banned

I'm going exclusively with the merino wool "Guaranteed Forever" socks, year round. I find them cool in the summer and with a nylon socks under and gortex socks over them in the winter, they're great in a cold weather sock system. The best part about them is that if they wear out you can return them for a brand new pair.....no questions asked.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:22 AM

Thorlos. Can't be beat!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:51 AM

light weight McGregor's (yes my regular dress socks) under Below Zero wool from Mark's Work Warehouse. I always buy a bundle of 3 new pairs of Below Zeros for the start of hunting season.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:12 AM

I bought some Under Armour boot socks last year. Those things are great, I wear them hunting and skiiing.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Banned

only socks I wear are the redhead socks from bass pro. Keep me warm no matter how cold it gets and I also wear them when working. Also love that you can exchange them at any time for free new ones.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Costco sells merino blend wool socks. I wear then all year. About 3 bucks a pair. I used to buy the 20 dollars a pair hiking socks but find the costco ones as good and just as tough. I threw out all my old grey with red stripe wool socks after the first day wearing the merino ones.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM

Default Layering

The most important thing about socks is layering. Never use cotton. They get wet quickly and take a long time to dry. Always use wool, highest percentage of Merino wool you can afford. Always use a thin 'liner' sock of man-made material against the skin. This is important as it wicks away moisture from your skin and keeps it dry. This means your feet stay warm and dry and it significantly reduces the chances of blisters. Wear boots that are waterproof and breath like Goretex, don't wear rubber boots, they don't let the moisture out. That's my experience and from doing a little bit of research.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
only socks I wear are the redhead socks from bass pro. Keep me warm no matter how cold it gets and I also wear them when working. Also love that you can exchange them at any time for free new ones.
x2 .......... been wearing nothing else in the winter since I found them. LOVE the free exchange when they wear out.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
x2 .......... been wearing nothing else in the winter since I found them. LOVE the free exchange when they wear out.
X3
Had a friend give me a pair for my b'day a few years ago. They are great. Even my wife wears 'em in the winter.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:33 PM

smart wool. They keep your feet dry, warm, cool. Tried a pair once and will never go back
Old 08-11-2014, 02:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The type I can wipe an leave in the woods if I run out or forget TP!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM

Can I "x3" three different posts above? lol

I use either Smart wool or the Costco merino wool socks. I also layer my socks as per what Rooster Booster said. I might have to look into those BassPro socks though, they sound pretty good.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 08-11-2014, 06:33 PM

Costco merino wool. Cheap, decent quality. Wear then all year. Flip flops and wool socks, mama loves goin out with me
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM

I like the redheads too, I use them at work and have yet to wear out a set.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:10 PM

For everyday work etc I wear the merino blends from costco. For backpacking I switch to smartwool.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:16 PM

Tried pretty much all of them. I really like my wigwams.

I like true wool socks... but with a goretex liner, real wool isn't worth a pinch of sweaty ass floss
Old 08-19-2014, 01:13 AM

Merino of any type.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:28 AM

Standard heavy wool work socks (or blended min 50%wool) all year round. Wife also knits and has done me several pairs of very thick, tall (kilt type) 100% wool socks for the colder hunting days.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:39 AM

Since this is my first year bow hunting blah blah blah. Iv often seen the guys on tv take there boots off and stalk in there socks. I had a thought the other day about taking said socks and spraying them with rockguard, the bottoms of the sock. My thinking is you will have the silence of a sock yet with the thin rubber "sole" you wont get all the thorns and *****ers ect. Has anyone tried anything like this?? Is it a good idea??

to keep in line with the op, I use walmart special 20 pairs for 10 bucks lol. Iv always used cheap socks for everything. Iv never tried "special" socks for work or what ever. I dont have an honest opinion of different sock types.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:00 AM

The wool socks from Bass Pro are terrific. Absolutely can't go wrong with them. I've given them as gifts to a lot of people and everyone has loved them. Super comfy and warm.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 AM

I used Smartwool for a long time but was always dissapointed in how long they lasted. Seemed like I couldn't get by with 10 pairs a year. Always seemed to be buying a pair or two every time I walked into Mark's Work World.

I've switched to "Darn Tough" socks and couldn't be happier
Old 08-27-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Booster View Post
The most important thing about socks is layering. Never use cotton.
Agreed. Layering socks is not well known enough. It keeps your feet dry, which is crucial to warmth and comfort. Once you have this system down just about any popular insulating sock will work for your outer layer.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM

My problem is that my feet always sweat a lot. I layer my socks and it definitely helps but I can never keep my feet warm enough. Thinking of tracking down some spray non scented anti persperant. Anyone know of where I could find this? I try different socks every yearand even have the heated insoles... I still havent found the right combo yet
Old 08-27-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
My problem is that my feet always sweat a lot. I layer my socks and it definitely helps but I can never keep my feet warm enough. Thinking of tracking down some spray non scented anti persperant. Anyone know of where I could find this? I try different socks every yearand even have the heated insoles... I still havent found the right combo yet
Don't put your foot ware on till your ready to hunt, most of the sweating is probably done in the vehicle on the way to your area.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-27-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchunter View Post
Merino of any type.
x2. Almost all of my hunting socks are Merino wool. It's great stuff. Feet stay warm and dry all day...unless I do something stupid like go through ice, into knee-deep water. Let's be honest, it happens.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor