Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Rain Gear / Sheep hunters

can anyn of you experienced sheep hunters recommend a good lightweight rain suit. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:50 PM

I use Sitka stormfront. However I would get kuiu do to the price and just as good of quality in my opinion.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:55 PM

I got a mountain hardware jacket for the top. Just bought a new set of mec hydrofoil pants for the bottom this year. Good stuff that will keep you dry. Legs zip all the way down so you don't have to remove your boots to put them on. For those days where it is raining off and on all day that feature is really nice. I've got nothing bad to say about them so far.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I got a mountain hardware jacket for the top. Just bought a new set of mec hydrofoil pants for the bottom this year. Good stuff that will keep you dry. Legs zip all the way down so you don't have to remove your boots to put them on. For those days where it is raining off and on all day that feature is really nice. I've got nothing bad to say about them so far.
Congrats on the ram LR
Old 09-07-2014, 09:58 PM

If you are a tall slim guy, and find that most clothes either are too big in the body or too short in the arms, I'd go with Kuiu chugach.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:17 AM

I use a HH impertech jacket and a $20 pair of bass pro rain pants (best rain pants I ever had but don't breath) my rain pants have gone through some pretty tough hunting and bush and have never ripped I know guys with some expensive gear that have had their suits shredded. But my future set will be KUIU. Great fitting and they make quality stuff The HH jacket is ok but leaks if you are in sustained rains or if your in contact with brush.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Arteryx makes some nice rain gear, but not cheap.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:48 AM

I like HH, not the lightest but very durable
Old 09-08-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I find the Arc'teryx stuff to be VERY noisy. I returned the jacket I had because of that.

I have the Kuiu Chugach suit and it's awesome. Very well made, reasonably quiet, and decently priced for the quality.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:35 PM

I have several pieces of Sitka and have nothing but great things to say about it other than the obvious - price. Many others here have recommended Kuiu. This year I bought a few items from them as did my significant other - once duty is paid on the order you are not that far off Sitka which can be purchased (and tried on) locally. Both are great as is HH and Arc'teryx.

My $0.2

Regards,
Old 09-08-2014, 01:51 PM

I bought a Swazi rain coat (forget the model), it was in Calgary in 4 or 5 days from New Zealand. I used it out on the Island this spring hunting Black Bear. It is amazing, I put it through the test in a torrential downpour and kept me dry and warm. Pricy but I think it will be the last one I need. I have spent more on all the cheaper ones added up that didn't last or keep me dry and warm.

Cheers,

SS
Old 09-08-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Yup that's what I use to! Had it for a few years very light weight and packable
Old 09-08-2014, 06:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:59 PM

I've got the kuiu Yukon stuff and I love it.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:18 PM

I have used Arc Teryx for winter sports, but never hunting. Arc Teryx offers no camo designs, but whatever. I am a big believer in layering and Gore arguably makes the best water proof fabrics IMO. For hunting, Sitka, which is owned by Gore-Tex, is clearly a leader. Kuiu, doesn't use Gore-Tex, but rather a competitor's materials, Toray's new Dermizax NX waterproof/breathable laminate for their water-proof stuff. I'd say, both can serve the water proof function, and both are super light. If cost is a concern, Kuiu may be the better choice, but, I'm a believer in supporting local business, so I chose Sitka for said reason. I hope that helps. Incidentally, Cabella's has a new rain product out that is using Gore-Tex and it was decently priced.