Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 07:59 PM

Default First Pheasant Limit for a New Hunter

Myself and a friend took out a new hunter today, for his first pheasant hunt. He was very well prepared after a couple of years of shooting skeet, and more recently sporting clays, and his first shot on a living bird resulted in the rooster folding dead in the air at the shot. His second shot, resulted in his second rooster, and his first limit of pheasants. It was a busy day at Buffalo Lake, and we heard many shots, up to five shots at one bird not far from us, but it actually took us longer than usual to find enough birds to take our limit of six birds for the three of us. The birds were present, but in several instances they flushed in a direction that we didn't feel was safe for us to take a shot, because of other hunters in the vicinity. Unfortunately, none of us thought to take a camera along, so I don't have any pictures to post.
In two weeks time the same hunter is accompanying me to Saskatchewan to spend five days hunting geese and ducks, and we will be sure to pack our cameras.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:01 PM

Congrats!!!!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:06 PM

Tell him congrats for the cat!
sdvc was out today as well down at Bigelow, said it was busy but he took two birds in short order with his Greener hammer double.
Two more days and we will be terrorizing the countryside spewing black smoke everywhere!
Cat
Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 PM

Default Sounds like he paid attention during the lessons

It is called training our replacements. I will send a brand new Gartner duck call back to Ft Mac with Cat for him next week so he is prepared for Saskabush.
if we don't introduce them to the outdoors with a bit of support I think most will melt into video game gagaland.

Black smoke is right if we dont have any breeze I cant see the shelterbelt for 2-3 minutes after you shoot Dave. Prime roosters and fat chukars that fly like they are on steroids await you.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Tell him congrats for the cat!
sdvc was out today as well down at Bigelow, said it was busy but he took two birds in short order with his Greener hammer double.
Two more days and we will be terrorizing the countryside spewing black smoke everywhere!
Cat

You have met him Cat, he is around 350lbs, so he is hard to miss .He is not a teenager actually 30 years young, but he just started hunting , and he certainly has the right attitude. He shot skeet with us every week, but moved to Edmonton last winter, and the only shooting he gets now, is when we head out to Beaverhill, whenever I am in the area. We hunted pheasant this morning, then shot at Beaverhill in the afternoon. I also shot a flat at Beaverhill yesterday, so I had my share of shooting this weekend.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-18-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Banned

Default Congrats.

I've tried buffalo lake and no luck. It's tough terrain and thick habitat. You did well!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAlbertan View Post
I've tried buffalo lake and no luck. It's tough terrain and thick habitat. You did well!
We had a couple of very experienced GWPs doing the leg work to find the birds, we only have to follow along and do the shooting.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You have met him Cat, he is around 350lbs, so he is hard to miss .He is not a teenager actually 30 years young, but he just started hunting , and he certainly has the right attitude. He shot skeet with us every week, but moved to Edmonton last winter, and the only shooting he gets now, is when we head out to Beaverhill, whenever I am in the area. We hunted pheasant this morning, then shot at Beaverhill in the afternoon. I also shot a flat at Beaverhill yesterday, so I had my share of shooting this weekend.
Figured it was him!
Cat
Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post

Black smoke is right if we dont have any breeze I cant see the shelterbelt for 2-3 minutes after you shoot Dave. Prime roosters and fat chukars that fly like they are on steroids await you.
Tell them they better bring their "A" game , 'cause I'm ready!
Wait 'til you see the Westley, looks like a brand new gun!
Cat
Old 10-18-2014, 10:08 PM

Default you will find these idaho blue backs interesting

You should bring a back up A gun as in auto, they zig when you zag, even you might need a semi for the second shot!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
You should bring a back up A gun as in auto, they zig when you zag, even you might need a semi for the second shot!
Nah, I use the force- have to, I can't see chit anyway!!
Cat