Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-05-2014, 08:01 PM

Default Reloading Oppsy???

So after playing with my new tumbler last week i was uber impressed with how clean the brass came out after an over night tumble.

Anyways half way through priming these i noticed a piece of corn media stuck in the flash hole of some of the shells. After examining the last 20+ shells better than half had corn media stuck in the flash hole.

My question is with the 1st 20+ shells done and say half of them may or may not have corn stuck in the flash hole of them am i good to continue loading them or should i fire the primers knock them out and resize and start all over again??

I am thinking that seating the primer would remove the corn media but i am not 100% on that thinking.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 PM

Default deprime very carefully or fire and clean before repriming

To many variables possible with maybe plugged or partially plugged primer flash hole (i.e. duds, delayed fire etc). Chaulk it up to experience and start over. My trimming tool usually knocks the walnut pieces out of flash hole when I trim to correct length but some are more difficult.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:57 PM

Cleaning brass , no matter whether corn cob, walnut or other media will result in plugged flash holes. Lube and FL size, tumble then decap with universal decapping die. Other choice is to tumble then neck size, and decap. (Works because you don't need lube to neck size.)

Any other method than that, check flash hole, use dental pick to remove media stuck in flash hole. Not really a big deal but you don't want a plugged flash hole as it leads to really inconsistent ignition.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:26 PM

If you think there could be media stuck in your flash holes after you primed, I would take the safe route and start over with a decapping tool (you don't need to size again, you will just be stressing your brass for no reason). Never take short cuts with reloading I say. Who knows, everything might still work fine but why chance it. Just take it slow and enjoy the learning process.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Yup....going to need to pull those ones, I would not try and fire one with corncob in the flash hole. One of the downside to corn cob and walnut is you have to inspect and possibly un-clog each piece.

LC
Old 10-06-2014, 10:07 AM

I used the tumbler too. I use compressed air and blow the little pieces out. I thought about tumbling with spent primers still in, resizing, trimming, reprinting, powder, and bullet. I use the Hornady spray lube and leaving this on makes the casings feed into the magazine a bit smoother as well as feed into the gun itself. At least that's what I've read it can do. Anyone leave the lube on the case?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
I used the tumbler too. I use compressed air and blow the little pieces out. I thought about tumbling with spent primers still in, resizing, trimming, reprinting, powder, and bullet. I use the Hornady spray lube and leaving this on makes the casings feed into the magazine a bit smoother as well as feed into the gun itself. At least that's what I've read it can do. Anyone leave the lube on the case?
No, I always clean cases. Leaving lube on a case could mean it will not grip the chamber. If your case does not grip the chamber, all of the pressure will go to the bolt face. One of the ways to proof test an action/rifle is to lube a case and fire it. This will turn a safe load of 40,000 c.u.p. into a proof load of 60,000 c.u.p.

I am sure others will come on here and explain it better.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Like Silver said, lube on case when being shot, or oil in chamber, both bad ideas. Way too much stress on the bolt of the gun. The rifle case is designed to expand and grip the walls of the chamber when fired. Lube dramatically increases the thrust on the bolt face and pressure on the case head.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:00 PM

I tumble my brass prior to resizing. Flash holes are inspected when cleaning the primer pockets.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Only time you want lube on cartridges is when you're fire-forming with COW.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I tumble my brass prior to resizing. Flash holes are inspected when cleaning the primer pockets.
This ! Much easier.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Only time you want lube on cartridges is when you're fire-forming with COW.
That's a good point. Noted for future use
Old 10-07-2014, 08:54 PM

I generally FL size and then tumble my brass. After I tumble it I always use a pipe cleaner to clean out the flash hole, the rim and wipe down the brass with a cloth to get any walnut dust off. I do this every time I reload.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:39 PM

I always use a primer pocket cleaning tool and a flash hole de burring tool both clean the media out of flash hole very well
Old 10-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Primers

Just a small caution; tumbling cases with spent primers in place can release lead dust The lead originates from the priming compound. This casual amount of lead is hat drives the ventilation requirements for indoor ranges.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:23 AM

Default Yup, oops.

The important thing is you realized this before you went out shooting. Pull all bullets and start fresh. Little time wasted but major lesson learned BEFORE anything went wrong. Good on you for asking!

I size(FL or neck) and deprime then tumble. When I take the brass out I inspect each piece even though I inspect after being shot in the field and before I size. If I see a piece of media in the flash hole I simply poke it through with a small Allen key( as stated before a dental pick would work great too).

Triple check everything every time. It's your face that is beside that action and your hard earned money buying the firearm and components.

Sorry if this sounded like a lecture but we all want to enjoy this sport/hobby and safety is a large part of it for me.

Be safe and enjoy!
Joe
Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Thanks all, sounds like i can knock this up to a "learning" experience, im glad that i did keep them separated the ones i did knock out the media and the ones i didn't