Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Smile Elk around Woking

Hey Folks,

My wife and I are hunting for elk around Woking in WMU 358.
It's my wife's first elk draw and she would really love to close the deal on a cow elk.
We both really like the meat and would respect any landowner allowances.
We are responsible gun handlers and would exercise extreme caution.
If anyone could give us permission to hunt on their land or give us some good information as to where to look; we would certainly be appreciative.

Thanks,
Old 10-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Get into the crown timber bordering the farmland and you'll find them. There are lots in the area if you look.
Knock on doors, the worse thing they can say is no....
Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 PM

There's a fair amount of crown land in the area.. boots on the ground guys!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:48 PM

Tons of crown land. Or wait until late November, farmland is hit and miss for elk right now.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 PM

The problem at the moment is they leave the farm land before daylight and don't come out till well after legal shooting time. I think the trick is to catch them in transition so boots on the ground learning their travel routes. Not an easy task and elk don't make many mistakes.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:19 PM

Cool You hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
The problem at the moment is they leave the farm land before daylight and don't come out till well after legal shooting time. I think the trick is to catch them in transition so boots on the ground learning their travel routes. Not an easy task and elk don't make many mistakes.
I have boots on the ground and I am seeing a fair amount of fresh tracks but cannot see them during daylight hours.
Unfortunately, my wife and I have only so much vacation so November is not an option.
If anyone spots where a herd is hanging around the area, a PM would be very much appreciated.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 PM

Well with all the thousands of hunters from all over Alberta converging on that area it's no surprise that the elk have gone nocturnal !!

Every road and corner has a hunting camp the first week of rifle season and the elk wise up real quick.

I wish I could help you out but with all the pressure from hunters and now from wolves as that's all I have been hearing all I can suggest is maybe go try any other area away from that area and hope for better action !!

Good Luck and watch out for the Grizzlies as they have really started to move as they get there last feed on before the snow hits and they den up.

My buddy had there wall tent ram sacked and he tore the door off his holiday trailer !! He was glad he wasn't in the trailer at the time as things could have got real bad fast !!

Good luck out there !!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Tons of crown land. Or wait until late November, farmland is hit and miss for elk right now.
Her draw tag will be long over if he she is hunting now. I think draw for this period of time end on October 24. What draw period do you have?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
Well with all the thousands of hunters from all over Alberta converging on that area it's no surprise that the elk have gone nocturnal !!

Every road and corner has a hunting camp the first week of rifle season and the elk wise up real quick.

I wish I could help you out but with all the pressure from hunters and now from wolves as that's all I have been hearing all I can suggest is maybe go try any other area away from that area and hope for better action !!

Good Luck and watch out for the Grizzlies as they have really started to move as they get there last feed on before the snow hits and they den up.

My buddy had there wall tent ram sacked and he tore the door off his holiday trailer !! He was glad he wasn't in the trailer at the time as things could have got real bad fast !!

Good luck out there !!

Now there is some turf protection...
Old 10-22-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fehr View Post
Get into the crown timber bordering the farmland and you'll find them. There are lots in the area if you look.
Knock on doors, the worse thing they can say is no....
X2
they are there, just have to watch the cutlines early morning or late day. Although there are LOTS of hunters that hit the sadle hills so dont think you will be alone!