Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I got false charged by no less that three credit card companies at the same time!
Cat
How'd you know it was a false charge? When would you shoot?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Default This happened today

I live near Bragg Creek and the mule deer are pretty casual about people here. This can lead to interesting things during the rut...
I was walking down the road to my house and a doe pops out of a nearby yard. Right behind her is a massive buck and he has one thing on his mind. She isn't ready for that so she decides to hide from him. Right behind me. He slammed on the brakes and gave me "the look". The "squinty eyed, ears back, look right through you" look. I ran to my neighbors deck and the doe ran with me. So of course the buck followed. He could have taken me out if he wanted to but luckily I wasn't his focus at all. He chased her around the deck a few times grunting like crazy. After a few minutes of this I was able to get to my place. Fun times...
Old 11-06-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Yes because a 2 legged dear is considered a wild animal and with a year round open hunting season without limits or a draw system, they are fair game as well as to be considered a dangerous animal
Like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cougar-tree.jpg (56.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 11-06-2014, 09:09 PM

Default There's idiots out there, Be careful!!!

I have had a few close calls with cougars and one real close encounter with a coyote but this was the worst encounter I have ever had in the bush. My brother and I and our 2 son's (12 & 13) were hunting opening day on some leased land. Unfortunately the lease holder messed up and gave us permission as well as 2 other hunters for the same day. When we ran into them in the bush, one of the guys goes completely un-glued. He has his rifle pointed towards us (not at our chests but defiantly in our direction but pointed at the ground) and he's swearing and calling us every name in the book. We tried politely to inform him that we did have permission from the leaseholder but he wouldn't listen to us. It got so bad that his buddy was pulling him back and saying "hey, there's kids here, let it go". That only made him even madder. Luckily there was cell coverage and we called the leaseholder and he admitted to the other guy that he made a mistake. We said we would gladly leave but the guy was still hot. It's been 7 years since that day and my son (now 19) still gets a little uncomfortable feeling in his stomach when we meet other hunters in the bush. Luckily since then every hunter we have met in the field has been nothing but respectful. Needless to say we don't hunt that property any more.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
How'd you know it was a false charge? When would you shoot?
I started yelling at them and got them to stop!
Cat
Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I started yelling at them and got them to stop!
Cat
According to my son, you "have a lot of phones".
So if you can handle one more, I'll give you mine and maybe get these companies to stop calling me.
Does yelling actually work with these cc companies?
I've tried everything.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-07-2014, 02:03 AM

Default Grizz

My wife and I were north of Edson on the last day of the season. With a doe in the back of the truck she still had her general tag so we decided to walk a cut line half way up the hill I notice something charging down the trail maybe 600 yards out. I'm assuming he's smelling the deer cause he's not slowing at all I turn to my wife take her little 243 and tell her to run to the truck which is about 100 yards from us I take aim and ready myself because this thing is now less then 100 yards coming right for me at maybe 30 yards it stops stands on its hinds and lets out a roar I fire a warning shot it looks at me turns and slowly walks into the bush. I now always carry spray and a 12 gauge mariner when I'm bow hunting up there. It really was an eye opener there's a lot more grizzly out there then people think

Last edited by Fowlow; 11-07-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:36 AM

Few years ago opening day rifle season around pincher creek. We knew where the elk were the night before. Next morning we were a few hundred yards out in the foggy field. Just as the fog start to lift we could see elk right infront of us. The gun shots started, from the road of course. We had bullets zinging over head. Couldn't do anything but hit the turf and pray. Worst part was a officer was there watching the whole thing from the corner or the field and did nothing about it.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:54 AM

Some interesting stories here! Keep 'em coming.

I got nuttin'. At least nothing I haven't shared on here before.

Oh, there was the time I was backstage at a High School concert and a gang fight broke out. Wasn't pretty. That's when I learned that there's a lot of stuff that never hits the papers.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:37 AM

this was 2011 berry picking and a pic of the 4 Grizzly in 2012 as 2 yr old

David

Saw a Sow and three this year cubs down by Coal Valley Mine today in the raspberry patch beside a road and i was 20 yards from her as she ran between me and my truck then ran into ditch on other side then stood up and look at me went down and ran abit further then stood up and started to run more away then came back abit to herd cub that got my heart a tickin then came up on road at 75 to 80 yards and crossed to my side again with her 3 cubs this years and into bush on other side ..

Story i was picking huckleberrys down a six foot embankment off the road allowance . up on the road allowance is some raspberry patches all along the embankment .. i would go out from embankment about 30 ft and then pick Huckleberrys into the embankment then walk back out to 30 ft and move over 5ft and pick into bank again . i had about 2 cups of huckleberry's when i hear a branch break or a cone hit something . i straighten up and let out a Woof Woof like a bear. Right away i got a Woof back and some poping of teeth and the sound of something moving away from the top of the enbankment i was about 10 ft from the enbankment so i start up the hill as soon as i did i saw a Grizzly loping away and maybe two cubs she went around back of my truck and then stood up in other ditch as i was aproaching my truck .. the whole time i was WOOFING and ROARING/GROWLING as LOUD as I could .. she went down and ran further way and stood up again . i started toward her with hands up and WOOFING ETC and she ran away again then stopped and turned and came back 5 ft then turned and kept going away then came up on road at 75 yards to 80 yds and crossed back to my side with her three beautiful this years cubs all in very good shape.

got a little rush went she turned and came back the 5 ft but all in all was a great experince . and a lesson of sorts while i had my Bear spray on my hip my gun 30-30 was in my truck and my camera was at home and i was by myself.although people new where i was .

The truck horn was tooted a few times and the 30-30 was loaded and on my back like it is everytime i am picking in these woods . i have been closer to a Grizzly but only once Bow hunting and it did not have Cubs.

went back to pick Huckleberrys and got two more pies for the Day

Should have had my Camera and did some video

WOW Thank you Lord for looking after me i said as i looked up

Will be phoning in tomorrow

David Robson aka Speckle55
Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
I quickly discovered the 'toy' gun some random guy pulled from his Halloween costume at the pub last Friday and pointed at my chest 6" away was a loaded Beretta semi 9mm when I took it from him. Does that count?
Did you buy it off of him for the kids?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Banned

Cool

Fishing a great pool on the kitimat river under the high bank . When I heard some crackling in the brush above me. moose were were the most common critter in the particular spot I was fishing . Thinking nothing off it I continued cast step cast cast step. Making my way down the pool when i heard breathing !!!!! Slowly I turned and to my disbelief was a cranker black bear head poking out the bush watching me not more than 10' distant. With the high bank I could move back up steam and re cross the run and continue on my merry way . One of many encounters but with out doubt the closest.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Banned

About 10 years ago 3 of us were walking a pipeline taking GPS readings etc. We had been hearing shooting off in the distance and didn't really think too much of it. All of a sudden something went whizzing past our heads within 10 feet or so and into the trees to our left. One of the guys was sure it was a bullet. When the second one went flying past, we ducked heads and took off running.

We called it a day and drove around to the local gun range. Sure enough, the range was perfectly lined up with our last GPS readings on the pipeline. Huge tall berm at the end of the range that some *******es were lobbing shots over the top.

One of the cooler things that happened to me was rounding a corner in the bush in the winter and seeing a rabbit come flying across the trail with a lynx in hot pursuit. The lynx caught the rabbit on the far side of the trail about 5 meters from me. Still got the pics somewhere of the lynx guarding that rabbit from me.

Several years ago just west of Edson I walked a ways in on a cutline and a black wolf came walking past me within 20 or 30 meters. Close enough I could see his eyes. He never changed his pace or anything...just slowly kept walking past me staring at me. Followed by a grey wolf about 40 meters behind that didn;t pay as much attention to me. There's something really creepy about a wolf's eyes, they just look evil to me for some reason.

Bumped a few bears here and there too, but they always scampered off as soon as they knew I was there.

Have yet to see a cougar.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:00 PM

My closest was getting giardia and having to exit the trailer at every rumble and just hoping I could get the knickers down in time..... Had a few very close calls and considered wearing a kilt....

Very close call...
Old 11-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Banned

Ok this one is really strange, no animals involved...

I had a 4km hike in the foothills north of grande cache. I was dropped off by helicopter and was supposed to be picked up in 6hrs.
I took a GPS point and started on my way. About 2km into the bush I came upon a rock face/cliff. As I neared the rock I looked at my GPS to confirm my bearing, GPS said looking for signal... Ok that happens, grab my compass... Spinning slowly.... Wtf... So I walk away a bit, still spinning... Hmm, I key my radio and got the most god awful noise. Ugh, then I could hear a high pitched ringing? I could tell it wasn't just me, something was making the noise. I checked all my equipment all was good... Ok, so GPS still failing, compass not working and still high pitched ringing... I figured it must be a mineral deposit or something. I fiddle around a bit then decide to go down the rock face and continue downhill. As I lowered down the cliff I noticed the high pitch noise was changing, getting lower??? Soon it almost felt like bass in the air and my head felt really light and dizzy. I walked another 200yds and sat down. GPS still not working, compass was improving. Sound still there, and thumping. I tried my radio again but nothing. Oh well, keep walking I guess.

This all happens within a 15-30minute time frame. Or so I thought... I walked for what I figured 1km. Ok I need to see where I'm at, I turn my GPS off
Then back on.... Waiting waiting... It works!!!! Next, next I was shocked and dumbfounded. I won't lie, I never did tell anyone exactly what happend... But when I looked at my GPS I was 16km!!!! Away from my drop point! Fack off!!!!! And it's been 7hrs!?!?!? Wtf!!! I was floored! I didn't know what to do! I knew the smoky river was down hill so I contined down hill. I made it out of canopy into a willow flat near the river and I tried radioing the pilot. Thankfully he was close enough and high enough to pick it up. I gave him GPS points and soon I was back in the helicopter. Everyone asked why I was way down there. I think I told one person the truth, I told everyone else including my boss I had a bear in my survey plot and had to move away from it.

Now I know the odd geological formation will do strange things to a GPS and compass. But, never have I even heard of people losing time and distance cause of one? Was I abducted or something? The time I was there is very vague now, almost fuzzy.

The only other strange thing I can recall from the area was the fact there was no black flies or Mosquitos around the rocks? Everywhere else I was swarmed.
But around the devil rocks nothing seemed to live.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Now I know the odd geological formation will do strange things to a GPS and compass. But, never have I even heard of people losing time and distance cause of one? Was I abducted or something? The time I was there is very vague now, almost fuzzy.
Freaky story! Would be interesting to check it out sometime.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:26 PM

I was in my ladder stand last year and a huge owl came gliding towards me from a tree about 30' away. He made eye contact with me and looked like he wanted to land on my rifle rest. The scary thing was seeing his talons open up about a couple of feet away right in front of my face. I waved my rifle just before he landed and he changed direction at the last second.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Three times I have almost experienced the odd phenomenon of taking a cr*p while standing up.

I've been charged by a big black bear and stalked by a cougar that was 20 feet behind me before I noticed. And when I was a kid a badger got ahold of my pant leg when I got too close too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-07-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:

I had a 4km hike in the foothills north of grande cache. I was dropped off by helicopter and was supposed to be picked up in 6hrs.
I took a GPS point and started on my way. About 2km into the bush I came upon a rock face/cliff. As I neared the rock I looked at my GPS to confirm my bearing, GPS said looking for signal... Ok that happens, grab my compass... Spinning slowly.... Wtf... So I walk away a bit, still spinning... Hmm, I key my radio and got the most god awful noise. Ugh, then I could hear a high pitched ringing? I could tell it wasn't just me, something was making the noise. I checked all my equipment all was good... Ok, so GPS still failing, compass not working and still high pitched ringing... I figured it must be a mineral deposit or something. I fiddle around a bit then decide to go down the rock face and continue downhill. As I lowered down the cliff I noticed the high pitch noise was changing, getting lower??? Soon it almost felt like bass in the air and my head felt really light and dizzy. I walked another 200yds and sat down. GPS still not working, compass was improving. Sound still there, and thumping. I tried my radio again but nothing. Oh well, keep walking I guess.

This all happens within a 15-30minute time frame. Or so I thought... I walked for what I figured 1km. Ok I need to see where I'm at, I turn my GPS off
Then back on.... Waiting waiting... It works!!!! Next, next I was shocked and dumbfounded. I won't lie, I never did tell anyone exactly what happend... But when I looked at my GPS I was 16km!!!! Away from my drop point! Fack off!!!!! And it's been 7hrs!?!?!? Wtf!!! I was floored! I didn't know what to do! I knew the smoky river was down hill so I contined down hill. I made it out of canopy into a willow flat near the river and I tried radioing the pilot. Thankfully he was close enough and high enough to pick it up. I gave him GPS points and soon I was back in the helicopter. Everyone asked why I was way down there. I think I told one person the truth, I told everyone else including my boss I had a bear in my survey plot and had to move away from it.

The only other strange thing I can recall from the area was the fact there was no black flies or Mosquitos around the rocks? Everywhere else I was swarmed.

Sounds like a peyote trip to me.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Sounds like a peyote trip to me.
Bahaha, maybe if it was a actual face lol. I meant it as in a cliff... But now that you mention it, I did have "tea" with the tree planters that morning.....
Old 11-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Bahaha, maybe if it was a actual face lol. I meant it as in a cliff... But now that you mention it, I did have "tea" with the tree planters that morning.....
Lol. That'll do it.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:19 PM

Thumbs up Bahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
My closest was getting giardia and having to exit the trailer at every rumble and just hoping I could get the knickers down in time..... Had a few very close calls and considered wearing a kilt....

Very close call...
Best story ever!

Been there too. Drinking water in the Union Carbide construction camp back in 1985. I think I lost 15 pounds in three days. And I weighed only 165 !!!

lol. Whew. Thanks for that.

Dick
Old 11-07-2014, 04:32 PM

Back when I was guiding I was charged by a cow moose that was interesting luckily she didn't connect
When I was younger I shot a duck that went into the water about 15 feet out so I rolled up my pants and waded out. Well when I went and grabbed it something lunged at it. I started walking back to shore and (that) came out and around me I not thinking shot. And missed but stupid me could have shot my foot off. Now when I say (that) meaning something like a otter but could never tell
Was ice fishing and used to use a black over top of me while I sat on a pail. Well one time a muskrat thought that was home. Let me tell you I dam near .... My pants when he popped out of my hole inches away from me
And my worst. When I was hunting with dad and my brother. Dad in frt me and brother just behind me. I used to keep a loaded gun on safety.i had my gun on my shoulder and for whatever reason I started checking my safety. Is it on or off I didn't realize my finger was on the trigger and I lifted my safety up. Now for anyone judgemental I can't explain why I did that while we were walking but the gun went off. I didn't even know it. I had no idea what happened just missing my brothers head
After that I NEVER hunt with a loaded gun to me I would rather miss my opportunity on a shot than ever experience anything like that again
Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 PM

in the early 70's when the gun laws were kinder, it wasn't that uncommon to see hunters carrying a sidearm for dispatching wounded animals. Of course, I never did that...

We were after elk northwest of Rocky and after a long day and a lot of walking, I was heading back to our camp along the bottom of an old, dry creekbed. Lots of dense brush along both sides, and I was plodding along, rifle on my shoulder, unloaded, and I holding it by the barrel. Suddenly there was a horrific amount of thrashing in the brush right beside where I was walking, and a black bear came crashing through, saw me and reared up on his back legs and started bellowing.

Of course, I wasn't carrying a sidearm, but if I had been it would have been the 9mm S&W I shot semi-seriously in competition around that time. It would have been purely instinctual to draw it and put 9 rounds right into the boiler. It wouldn't have been much of a shot since he wasn't 10 feet away, and he had to be 9 feet tall.

A couple of really strange things happened all at once. That 9 foot bear crumpled up and tumbled down the small embankment, dead as a post. While he was tumbling down that small bank, he shrunk too...he went from being a 9 foot tall, 500 pound bear to a 5 foot tall, 125-130 pound yearling.

When he quit shrinking and sliding, my heart was beating so fast I had to sit down for a minute. If I'd had a sidearm with me, which of course I didn't, that would have been when I'd have holstered it, and finally picked up my rifle where I'd dropped it, and put some rounds in it, thinking that Mom might be right behind the little lad. I never did see her, but I would have been very surprised if she wasn't around, since the bear that was lying there wasn't old enough to be on his own I don't think.

I eventually got my poop in a pile, and dragged the animal to our camp. We loaded it up and took off for town to notify the CO's. I only caught a little bit of grief from them, no citations...would not happen today though.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Like this?
She must have went out with one of the geezers on AO.

Good to see she knows how to dry off after that Zodi shower.

Don't you just love girls and the weird things they do?
Old 11-08-2014, 08:25 AM

I encountered a grizzly sow and her male cub from the year before in Redrock Canyon. My buddy and I were on our way back down the trail from Goat Lake, almost at the Snowshoe trail. We saw no signs of bear Until the sow just suddenly stepped out in front of us at about 25m onto the trail. She gave us a passing glance and continued grazing across the trail. The young boar however started to strut. He started huffing and clicking his teeth. We started hollering, waving our arms, and walking backwards up the trail. Then he charged. It was all the courage I could muster to override the urge to run. He veered off within an arm-span in front of us. He charged 3 more times as we continued our quickened but rather shaky rearwards march back up the trail. We kept moving until we were back above the treeline on the scree slope before we stopped to unwind. Scared the hell out of us. Quite sure I ****ed a bit on the second charge.

We sat against our packs, having a snack and water, talking about the charge for about a half hour when 2 young ladies with packs came up the trail. When we asked if they saw the bears, they said no. One went on to say there were no bears as there were no bear warning signs back at the staging area. I can't remember a time there wasn't a bear warning sign at the staging area. The oblivious attitude of these two ladies was almost as alarming as the bear we encountered.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:44 PM

Default kitten

was out 4 the eavning wolf hunt last winter..on stand distress calling for bout 2 hours,walking back to my wall tent in the dark i found a very fresh/warm and very dead doe killed that hour only about 50yards from tent..never did see the cat but it was definatly in route to me..thanks deer!love you deer!
Old 11-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Was this in the Rocky Mountain Triangle?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:51 PM

I had my most terrifying wildlife experience just a few weeks ago out by rocky. My buddy and I went out and set up camp, 10x12 wall tent with a woodstove. We ate some dinner and went to bed, around 10pm. As I was snoozing away, I was awakened by the sound of footsteps outside the tent. In my half-asleep state I listened for a moment, when I realized the footsteps were now inside the tent. No problem, I thought. Buddy must have got up to take a leak, or throw wood in the stove.

Well, that's about the moment I realized my buddy was snoring. Something was in the tent! I propped up on my cot and looked around in the dark, saw a dark shape move out from under buddy's cot, moving towards me.

As it approached me, it seemed to be moving like a cat.....my first thought was what is a cat doing out here in the bush? My second thought was bobcat! Unfortunately the truth was much, much worse. Once it was at my cot sniffing me I could see the two white lines running down it's back.......skunk!

I froze. What else can you when you're in a small tent with a skunk? I spent the next 20-30 minutes watching this damned skunk explore the tent while my buddy snored peacefully. At one point he decided to leave but couldn't get under the wall, he was standing on the flap. So he decided to curl up for a bit. At the door. At this point I knew I needed to do something. I figured I'd get out of my bag, get my knife, cut a new door through the wall, get my shotgun from the truck, and try to let the skunk out the door.

I started moving to unzip my bag. As slowly and quietly as I could, I began to unzip....the first tiny click the zipper made, the skunk jumped up and ran over to me. We stared each other in the eyes for what felt like hours. Finally, he turned and went for the door again. This time he got out!

I woke my buddy and we piled all our firewood on the flap inside the tent in case he tried to return. Good thing, because 2 hours later he was back! I yelled at him, he took off and we never heard or saw him again. Skunk proof your tents gentlemen!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
I had my most terrifying wildlife experience just a few weeks ago out by rocky. My buddy and I went out and set up camp, 10x12 wall tent with a woodstove. We ate some dinner and went to bed, around 10pm. As I was snoozing away, I was awakened by the sound of footsteps outside the tent. In my half-asleep state I listened for a moment, when I realized the footsteps were now inside the tent. No problem, I thought. Buddy must have got up to take a leak, or throw wood in the stove.

Well, that's about the moment I realized my buddy was snoring. Something was in the tent! I propped up on my cot and looked around in the dark, saw a dark shape move out from under buddy's cot, moving towards me.

As it approached me, it seemed to be moving like a cat.....my first thought was what is a cat doing out here in the bush? My second thought was bobcat! Unfortunately the truth was much, much worse. Once it was at my cot sniffing me I could see the two white lines running down it's back.......skunk!

I froze. What else can you when you're in a small tent with a skunk? I spent the next 20-30 minutes watching this damned skunk explore the tent while my buddy snored peacefully. At one point he decided to leave but couldn't get under the wall, he was standing on the flap. So he decided to curl up for a bit. At the door. At this point I knew I needed to do something. I figured I'd get out of my bag, get my knife, cut a new door through the wall, get my shotgun from the truck, and try to let the skunk out the door.

I started moving to unzip my bag. As slowly and quietly as I could, I began to unzip....the first tiny click the zipper made, the skunk jumped up and ran over to me. We stared each other in the eyes for what felt like hours. Finally, he turned and went for the door again. This time he got out!

I woke my buddy and we piled all our firewood on the flap inside the tent in case he tried to return. Good thing, because 2 hours later he was back! I yelled at him, he took off and we never heard or saw him again. Skunk proof your tents gentlemen!
Peppy LaPue!!! LOL....