Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-28-2014, 09:46 AM

Default Right handed/left eye dominant

Quick question for all you guys in the know. I am thinking of getting my son a bow for Christmas however he is right handed and left eye dominant. On the rifle side of things he can shoot either way as I taught him to initially shoot support side. However with archery tackle and the greater muscle co-ordination required I am unsure which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Quick question for all you guys in the know. I am thinking of getting my son a bow for Christmas however he is right handed and left eye dominant. On the rifle side of things he can shoot either way as I taught him to initially shoot support side. However with archery tackle and the greater muscle co-ordination required I am unsure which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.
Same thing as my 15 year old son, right handed left eye....broke my heart lol. I ended up buying him a left handed bow and set it at 35 lbs to help him pull easy and build the muscle memory he requires. I did make him shoot right handed a few times and the difference in accuracy now hes pulling left is unreal. Right handed his groups were at best 4 inches separated and pulling left the little twit can shoot out the center of a toonie time after time. Im not a expert but thats our experience over the past 4 months anyways.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:42 AM

It is in his best interest to buy a bow that is the same as his eye dominance. Being that he is new it should be no difference as he will be learning from scratch and have to build his muscles up from start. We have worked with guys that have been shooting a right hand bow and being left eye dominant and in the end they are so glad to make the change as their form/accuracy has improved significantly. All the professional shops will advise to buy a bow based on eye dominancy vs hand dominancy. Good luck and hope your son enjoys the sport.

Cheers, Elk.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 AM

I am left handed, right eye dominant....I shoot left handed. I acquire the target with my right eye closed...draw back and before shooting open the right eye, shooting with both eyes open.

LC
Old 11-28-2014, 12:11 PM

My son was also right handed, and somewhat left eye dominant. His eye dominance seemed to change a little as he grew. I got him a right handed bow, and he shot with an old pair of sunglasses with the right lens taken out, and the left lens covered with tape. He learnt pretty quickly how to acquire his target with his right eye. As he got older, his right eye became slightly (ever so slightly) more dominant than his left, so his shooting and early training with the glasses helped.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:53 PM

I'm right handed, left eye dominant (right eye pretty useless). I just taught myself to shoot left handed. All the same muscles are there...you just learn to use them. It is completely second nature now.
Shot right handed guns left eyed for years, but now have left handed guns
Old 11-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
I'm right handed, left eye dominant (right eye pretty useless). I just taught myself to shoot left handed. All the same muscles are there...you just learn to use them. It is completely second nature now.
Shot right handed guns left eyed for years, but now have left handed guns
Same here , except I have always shot left handed . All my guns are lefty as well , just better that way . I hear guys say they can shoot a right handed gun lefty and get the second shot as fast as I do .. I defy that ! Don't try to change him Cappy , if it's workin ,don't fix it . Stay lefty ,it's the way he is wired ..lol .
Old 11-28-2014, 02:43 PM

Same here. Right handed but left eye dominant. Took a little bit to get the muscles used to the draw. But really it wasnt that hard. But its great now. Plus when you get buck or elk feavor you wont need to remember to shut that one eye for a second. It gets pretty natural after a short time.

The only draw back is sometimes trying to find a left handed bow!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Same here. Right handed but left eye dominant. Took a little bit to get the muscles used to the draw. But really it wasnt that hard. But its great now. Plus when you get buck or elk feavor you wont need to remember to shut that one eye for a second. It gets pretty natural after a short time.

The only draw back is sometimes trying to find a left handed bow!
3 letters for you . APA.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:32 PM

Hubby and I are both right handed but left eye dominant. Both of us have left hand bows. It's not a big deal to try to find or re-sell a left handed bow anymore. Used to be you couldn't find one to try anywhere. Was on a 3D squad this year where we were all left handed archers!! If he wants to be a lefty, let him go for it.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow dog View Post
Hubby and I are both right handed but left eye dominant. Both of us have left hand bows. It's not a big deal to try to find or re-sell a left handed bow anymore. Used to be you couldn't find one to try anywhere. Was on a 3D squad this year where we were all left handed archers!! If he wants to be a lefty, let him go for it.
...and what a squad that was

LC
Old 11-28-2014, 10:33 PM

I am also right handed/left eye dominant as is my son. My son has it to the point he can't hit a target shooting open sights right handed. We both shoot left bows and he shoots a left gun as well.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:39 AM

Not an issue with a gun equipped with a scope as one simply uses rifles build [Left or right ] and use that eye scope with compeinsate for dominant eye...

Bow is different... hats off to those who are right handed and shoot left handed bow...I am left hand hadicapped ...cant do anything left handed...lol
but would if had too like anyone else...not liking it!!!

choices are...for Right Hand...

*simply close left eye when shooting...
*Wear pirates patch on left eye...
*Using a peep and sqinting left eye...
*Bow scopes

or test Try a left hand bow first...many that are right hand left eye dominant are border line alien and ambidextrous anyway...lol

Neil
Old 12-01-2014, 03:20 PM

I am also right handed left eye dominant. When I started in archery 18 years ago I bought a left hand bow that had an 87 pound draw weight maximum, I practiced with 80 pounds all the time using an overdraw and aluminum arrows, I didn't find it hard at all. Now I shoot around 60 pounds for 3D and hunting. I also feel it can be an advantage to use your stronger (right) arm for holding the bow or a rifle steady. All of my bolt guns are right handed, I just slide my righthand back from the fore end and work the bolt. Oddly, when I shoot handgun I use my righthand to pull the trigger using my left eye to aim.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Not an issue with a gun equipped with a scope as one simply uses rifles build [Left or right ] and use that eye scope with compeinsate for dominant eye...

Bow is different... hats off to those who are right handed and shoot left handed bow...I am left hand hadicapped ...cant do anything left handed...lol
but would if had too like anyone else...not liking it!!!

choices are...for Right Hand...

*simply close left eye when shooting...
*Wear pirates patch on left eye...
*Using a peep and sqinting left eye...
*Bow scopes

or test Try a left hand bow first...many that are right hand left eye dominant are border line alien and ambidextrous anyway...lol

Neil
Forgot shooting with both eyes open like I do

LC
Old 12-01-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flare View Post
I am also right handed left eye dominant. When I started in archery 18 years ago I bought a left hand bow that had an 87 pound draw weight maximum, I practiced with 80 pounds all the time using an overdraw and aluminum arrows, I didn't find it hard at all. Now I shoot around 60 pounds for 3D and hunting. I also feel it can be an advantage to use your stronger (right) arm for holding the bow or a rifle steady. All of my bolt guns are right handed, I just slide my righthand back from the fore end and work the bolt. Oddly, when I shoot handgun I use my righthand to pull the trigger using my left eye to aim.
Therortically you can be dead on at a certain distance but closer and further from that point you will be off gradually more you move in that direction...

Meaning dead on where line of sight and right hand aim line intersec..and POI to right closer and to the left further....

yes?
Neil
Old 12-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Therortically you can be dead on at a certain distance but closer and further from that point you will be off gradually more you move in that direction...

Meaning dead on where line of sight and right hand aim line intersec..and POI to right closer and to the left further....

yes?
Neil
Not Sure. When I shoot handgun at say 20 yards, I have the gun moved over to be inline with my left eye. So I have: left eye, rear sight, front sight and target all in a straight line. So I don't think a distance of 10 or 20 or 50 should make a difference.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:15 PM

I'm another right handed - left eye dominant shooter. I started with rifles a looooong time ago right handed. When I switched to left everything got better. I got my first bow a couple of years ago and kept to the left handed shooting. I feel it is a more natural posture to shoot left handed since I have to use my left eye. And - it works for me.