Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Banned

Default Rabbit Hunting ?

Me & a buddy tried rabbit hunting for the first time a few days ago we went to a big area of forest thats all spruce/pine that gets pretty dense, there was hundreds of thousands of tracks & we hunted for 3 hours, he saw none and i saw one maybe two off in the distance for a quick glimpse. We tried many methods, walking slow scanning stopping, splitting up covering ground slowly, sitting and watching & nothing.

Any tips for some first time rabbit hunters?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:51 AM

For guaranteed bunnies, take a beagle with you if possible.
RBH
Old 01-08-2015, 11:34 AM

I find that when I sit overlooking an area with underbrush and rabbit trails it sometimes takes 30 minutes for the rabbits to start moving around again. Stalking the wily bunny is harder cause they have good ears and hear you coming.

Only a suggestion.. not sure if it will help... a fast stalk doesn't give the rabbits time to hear you coming and hide. You will catch them moving or jump them. At least then you can watch them till they stop and maybe get a shot.

Speckle 55's threads should have some good tidbits of ideas you can try. He is a serious rabbit hunter.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets