Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-09-2015, 09:03 AM

The social aspect of the Derby does sound fun and I have no issue with disposing of a few coyotes especially if the hides get used. I shoot them on my own property whenever they give me the chance... but sadly we do have to worry about the image of the events to the urban population. These people do not understand the problems coyotes create they do not understand that under no circumstances could we ever kill them all (although some of us may want to). The biggest thing we have to understand and remember is that these urbanites out number us 100 to 1. If these people put pressure on politicians who do you think they will listen to? I'm not saying don't have coyote hunting events I am just saying that the image portrayed is VERY important.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu321 View Post
The social aspect of the Derby does sound fun and I have no issue with disposing of a few coyotes especially if the hides get used. I shoot them on my own property whenever they give me the chance... but sadly we do have to worry about the image of the events to the urban population. These people do not understand the problems coyotes create they do not understand that under no circumstances could we ever kill them all (although some of us may want to). The biggest thing we have to understand and remember is that these urbanites out number us 100 to 1. If these people put pressure on politicians who do you think they will listen to? I'm not saying don't have coyote hunting events I am just saying that the image portrayed is VERY important.
I dunno, maybe every farmer should do what greylynx suggested (Trap some coyotes with a Havahart trap and release them in the city limits, or in your mom's garage.) minus the mom's garage LOL.

To me, us as hunters should educate the urbanites, not keep things on the down low.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post

To me, us as hunters should educate the urbanites, not keep things on the down low.
I absolutely agree, I was just reminding people that we cannot simply ignore the non hunting/trapping community. We need to educate and present a positive image.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:52 AM

The crew on the Bear were running their mouths this am about this and the Redneck/Hillbillies that partake in the event...last time i tune into that station!!
Old 01-09-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu321 View Post
I absolutely agree, I was just reminding people that we cannot simply ignore the non hunting/trapping community. We need to educate and present a positive image.
Agreed.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:12 AM

Anyone have a video handy of 4 coyotes waiting 10 yards away while a calf drops out of momma? And the impending aftermath of that?

I guarantee we could all stomach watching that, but the anti shooting/hunting crowd could not..
If they watched it one time, I'm sure their opinion would change.

Coyotes have fluffy fur and fish do not. That is the only difference for the member who asked.
And yes, coyotes will be the last creature standing when we all succumb to biological disease.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:18 AM

We need groups like SRD to stand up and educate vs. what I saw on the news from them last night... Basically explained that the derby is legal. Would have been a great opportunity to explain the stats and circumstance behind the topic.

Maybe they did explain but the media chose their spin on the topic and only aired a small portion.. .
Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 AM

What gets me is the uproar a small event like this produces while ESRD gets a free pass aerial gunning wolves along with moose elk and deer to poisen wolves. I saw a similar article in yesterdays Edmonton Journal and emailed the author to look a little deeper into the hypocrasy of protesting this while standing by and allowing our Gov't to **** away untold tax dollars on "predator" control in the name of saving the Caribou while industry rolls on unabated. Rant over.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
The crew on the Bear were running their mouths this am about this and the Redneck/Hillbillies that partake in the event...last time i tune into that station!!
Be sure to write the station and let them know!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:24 AM

Default Coyote Watch - wow

If you want a laugh visit the Coyote Watch website. Federal not for profit organization that I sure hope is not receiving any of my tax dollars. Urbanites who really seem to have no understanding of the realities of coyotes. Well meaning sure but there seems to be the underlying assumption that coyotes are borderline endangered or something. There is a place on the site that describes what to do in case of an encounter - as though one is facing a grizzly bear or something. Granted they are focussed on the eastern coyote but still!

Below is a little snippet from their site, says a lot:

""Life is beyond difficult for coyotes living on this continent. In the province of Ontario, a coyote can be snuffed out everyday of the year for just being seen. No day is sacred—or safe—for coyotes. Open season occurs during pup rearing, mating, and when coyote young are dispersing. Research conducted by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry about these sentient and vital keystone species never supports any move to protect them. Even though science has shown over and over the importance of keeping coyote family structure...""
Old 01-09-2015, 11:34 AM

Im gonna buy a new coyote huntin' shirt from Coyote Watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyote-shirt.jpg (11.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-09-2015, 11:35 AM

The issue, as we all know as hunters is that most people who get involved are ill informed and misguided. They don't have to deal with coyotes on a day to day basis like we do wether its harassing your kids, pets or livelihood. Similar to when we see a villager in Africa kill a lion. No one knows the entire story and as a northern alberta residence I don't no exactly what the deal is over there regarding the lions so I don't stick my nose into it.

I bet if the coyotes left the farmland and started running around peoples neighbourhoods and going into school yards at recess or using the subway there would be anarchy. Kill em all would be issued by the queen.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Gopher Derbys Next?

You don't hear anybody cry about killing gophers by the thousands. Coyotes are no different as far as i'm concerned, both are fun to shoot and are pests. Coyote derby is a great reason to get out with buddys for some target practice, excitement, etc, all the good things. As for the media and what some people think about the issue is a waste energy and time. It will be forgotten about by tomorrow.

Mad
Old 01-09-2015, 12:06 PM

I'm not surprised the media has gotten ahold of this and misconstrued it in this manner. Above all, these hunts are a great way to get a number of landowners onside at a given time to allow for an organized hunt - nothing more. What does it matter about having prizes? I don't think I'd try any harder in a non-prize scenario if I'm already out for yotes.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Personally I've never liked the "contest/body count" approach. Not against hunting yotes at all.
Why am I not surprised.

Anything that encourages people to get out and take a few coyotes is a good thing. A coyote derby sounds like a heck of a lot of fun to me, and in reality won't make any kind of realistic dent in the coyote population. How is it any different than a fishing derby? Other than coyotes might seem cute and cuddly, and look like your wife's or boyfriend's foofoo dog to some, and a fish with it's head still attached can be bought at the supermarket. Too much Disney for some I suppose.
I get it that public perception might be negative, but you'll never change the minds of the anti's, or the liberals on this board.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:15 PM

I don't get it. People are up in arms over a contest to kill Coyotes? I guess they have never been informed of the bounty programs that have been put on them over the years throughout the province where you get paid BY THE COUNTY for every yote killed......
Old 01-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Whats the difference between a coyote derby with a cash prize or a big buck scoring event? I like and encourage both, shouldn't matter what the prize is...
Old 01-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Banned

I have a trailer just down the road from Alberta Beach and access to 6 quarters of prime coyote hunting real-estate. Unfortunately, I have 21 coyotes hanging waiting for the pelts to be processed and I'm too busy to participate in the tourney.

They ought to have Norway Rat contests in the cities for the city folks.....lol.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Correct, all three of those.

I am happy for this lad, honestly.
However, could that cash have been raised without destroying the credibility we work hard to build? Seems like a weak crutch to lean on a when there is no exclusivity for this as the only means to help a kid out.

What is the noble and altruistic motive for this event at Alberta Beach then? helping deer, helping calves? Any measurable evidence of that or rather a net loss to deer and hunters' identity in the medium term?

These events hurt us and I am incredulous that so few people can see that.
These events can hurt us, just like any other hunting activity that someone disagrees with.
Where do you draw the line as to what is defensible and where the hunting community should acquiesce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I dunno, maybe every farmer should do what greylynx suggested (Trap some coyotes with a Havahart trap and release them in the city limits, or in your mom's garage.) minus the mom's garage LOL.

Exactly, education is the key.

Most people joining the outraged cry are simply sheep looking for a good flock.

Personally I do have a concern with prizes and competition being promoted as a part of a hunting event. Keep the rewards small, focus on the social aspect.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-09-2015, 04:23 PM

Default From CTV

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/alberta...ash-1.2180462#

Sampson says that because coyotes are pack animals, studies have shown that such hunts can hurt the social structure of the packs. She also questions the ethics of the contest.

"When we glorify killing at that level, where there are prizes for the largest coyote, the smallest coyote, the mangiest coyote -- I mean really, it leaves a bad taste in most people's mouths," she says.

Only if you eat the mangy one.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:49 AM

The people running this have been receiving death threats. Should those message containing death threats not be turned over to the RCMP and be dealt with? Bullying seems to make the news all the time. A death threat has to be the highest form of bullying. If one of us threatened an Anti we would be severly dealt with.