Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-01-2015, 06:23 AM

Default Anyone willing to help?

I know this is the trapper section and I know many trappers make a lot of money off the fur they get every winter season. I'm looking into being a trapper myself.

The problem is that I got an amazing opportunity mid summer as a taxidermist. I'm still a minor in the eyes of the law and had my birthday Nov 4th, so to get an opportunity like that is pretty incredible. However I am not allowed to do any work for him until I prove my skills, from skinning to tanning to mounting.

Several people have gone out for me previously but have sadly had no luck. There were others who planned too but didn't get the time. While I GREATLY appreciate the effort they put in, I am still in need of help. I figured the trappers section was the next best place to ask. I regret posting my third thread regarding this in the hunters forum, mostly because looking at it now my desperation is far too obvious and it's rather embarrassing.

So if you happen to have or get any whole carcasses you'd be willing to give away(As I can't legally purchase them) I would greatly appreciate the help. Anything you don't want I'll take, even if it's unsuitable for mounting due to rubs or other damage it's still a huge step towards proving I can skin and tan, and I'll still make use of the pelt.

I'm in the Red Deer area, and if you'd be willing to give me a hand please PM me.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:51 AM

So snare some rabbits! Get a resident trappers liscence and snare coyotes and fox!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-01-2015, 07:58 AM

I would if I could afford my licenses. The problem is I need licenses to get my own carcasses, I need money to get licenses and I need carcasses to get money. It's a catch 22. Can't make money without carcasses but can't get carcasses without money. There's also the fact that I'm a minor and as it stands still don't have my own drivers license so trapping can not currently work. When my father gets his gun license renewal back he might help but I honestly doubt it.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:16 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Unlimited skinning opp

Hi, you just have to go skin for a guy that will teach you. Im PMing you a mane.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Default anyone willing to help

Where are you located? I'd be happy to help you if I could.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 01-01-2015 at 10:40 AM. Reason: More info
Old 01-01-2015, 01:48 PM
Banned

Good on you for pursuing this SH. Last year I picked up a bunch of mange dogs to learn/practice skinning and fleshing. Around here there are enough landowners shooting and leaving them and it's too bad that you can't find someone in your area. If I was a little closer I'd offer to help you out somehow. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2015, 03:12 PM

I got a skunk in a 330 yesterday. I can run out to the baitpile and grab it if you want? I live close to Edmonton if your in the area
Old 01-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
So snare some rabbits! Get a resident trappers liscence and snare coyotes and fox!

Actually the first part of your suggestion is a good place to start.

There are a few critters one can hunt as varmints, without a license, on private land that one has right of access to, that one can practice skinning and fur handling on.

Gophers, or rather ground squirrels come to mind. They'd be perfect.

There are a number of other animals that can be hunted throughout the year which could be useful for practicing skinning and fur handling skills on.

Coyote, Wolf, Beaver, Red Fox, Red Squirrel, Skunk, Raccoon, Hare and Rabbit may be hunted throughout the year on privately owned land to which one has right of access. No licenses required. A license is only required if one wishes to sell the hides of these animals taken on private land.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-01-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I got a skunk in a 330 yesterday. I can run out to the baitpile and grab it if you want? I live close to Edmonton if your in the area
Nube, I believe he is in the red deer area (from previous posts)

SH, keep at it. You will get a break eventually. Unfortunately I'm to far north to help, but I'd suggest contacting a few farmers/landowners and getting permission to hunt/trap red squirrels.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 PM

Try some birds. A nice magpie would be good practice.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 PM

Got any little old ladies on your street? With a promise to keep her sidewalk and walkways clear the rest of the winter I would give you a good quality coyote. I'd want your dad to text me and confirm he is ok with it as well. Transportation would be your problem. Maybe the pony express?

You could always shovel sidewalks to make enough to get your start. After months of lookng I'm sure you could find a way to make a few bucks. Sell a few games lol.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM

I can't go out hunting on my own. It's $160 for my firearms course and BOTH of my parents are still waiting to get renewals back. On top of that I'm dependant on them for transportation. My father might go out for me if he can find the time after his license comes back.

I've tried shoveling before but because of current health situations I can't. Trying to get that dealt with. I may be going in for surgery soon to get a large amount of surface tissue removed from various parts of my body. Not going into details, trust me on that one. If I can make a nurse vomit I can probably make a few trappers do the same. Thankfully after the surgery I should have zero issues with this condition ever again, but deroofings aren't a fun thing to go through. Especially since it could take me months to heal properly. So I'll only be able to do low impact work(IE rabbit breeding, skinning on a table but not hanging) in the mean time.

In three months time I should be breeding mini rex rabbits for pet sales. While it won't bring in a lot it's decent pocket money plus I enjoy working with animals, and it will help me establish a better understanding of genetics for when I get my homestead in the future and can legally raise for meat and fur on top of pet and show. (Though I'll be raising very different breeds) I'll only see a couple hundred in profit a year from that but at the least if I can pay for most of my licensing my parents will be more likely to pitch in a bit.

Just for future reference, although I don't mind male pronouns, I am female. Though the vast majority of hunters and trappers are male so the assumption is understandable.

I'd just like to add a condition as I got a great offer that was rather crushing due to distance. If you're over an hour away I can't pick up because gas money is honestly too expensive right now. We're going through some trouble. A half hours distance one way is preferable. I'm doing what I can to work with my parents and their restrictions.

Last edited by SilverHowler; 01-02-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned

Another thought.....Don't pass up on a decent roadkill of you come across one.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Another thought.....Don't pass up on a decent roadkill of you come across one.
Already worked that one out with mum, we may be doing a roadkill sweep at some point. But it still comes down to gas money + the $10 for each carcass.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:55 AM

Well I kinda feel like an idiot now. Hopefully someone local will help you out.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:39 PM

SilverHowler.. you mention raising rabbits.

Maybe start with a mini rex rabbit for your taxidermy practice.

Google images: 'rabbit taxidermy' and there are lots of ideas.

Here is a good paying idea....

Make some rabbit mounts in various positions and sell them to the coyote callers. Real Rabbit Decoys. Coyotes would come running with a real rabbit visual. Sell them for 20-40 bucks each.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-02-2015, 12:40 PM

have you contacted Marco pilon @ sugarcreek taxi. the guy is a+
Old 01-02-2015, 12:44 PM

X2
Old 01-02-2015, 12:48 PM

If I raise for meat and fur here in town I can get fined or even go to jail. The law is extremely stupid in my opinion. If someone down the street is milling rabbits in unsanitary and arguably(But not by law) cruel conditions for pets it's fine but if I'm breeding sparsely and keep my animals in great condition with the purpose of food it's now illegal because they become livestock. Even if they're the exact same breed. The law is ridiculous in my opinion.

You also cannot sell mounts without a taxidermy license. You need a separate building not attached to your home to get that license, or need to be employed by a taxidermist. I have an apprenticeship, not an employment. Yet.

Contacting Sugar Creek seems wrong if I have an apprenticeship with Antler Hill.

As for the flying squirrels, I'd love too but are they legal? I've never seen anything in the regulations regarding them.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:08 PM

Not sure if it's ok (legal) but most of us catch them in marten traps and they are not marketable.
If you find out if it's legal or not I would send you some.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:11 PM

All I can find regarding flying squirrels is that they're listed as a non-game animal via our government, so it's safe to assume they're not legal.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:29 PM

F&W can accurately answer your questions about flying squirrels.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:32 PM

SH,
Maybe go into raising pet store birds instead. I worked with a guy that bred parrots and sold young birds to pet stores. 800 bucks for a young bird. Averaged 3 young per year per female.

You would just need earplugs.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
SH,
Maybe go into raising pet store birds instead. I worked with a guy that bred parrots and sold young birds to pet stores. 800 bucks for a young bird. Averaged 3 young per year per female.

You would just need earplugs.
Mum is SEVERELY allergic. I don't want to put her in hospital or worse over some birds. Besides that, the breeding stock alone would pay for my licensing and supplies five times over. Really not worth it.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:36 PM

I made her a great offer but am too far away.

Anyone travelling from Edmonton area to wherever she lives?

I want to help her out, just not heading out of town anytime soon.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:47 AM

Ill tell you what, in a couple weeks time. I will bring you some animals, if you can make my girlfriend a pair of mittens.

Last edited by Hydro1; 01-04-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
Ill tell you what, in a couple weeks time. I will bring you some animals, if you can make my girlfriend a pair of mittens.
PM'd you regarding this.

Thread isn't dead yet. Four hours sleep after a rough day is not fun, ugh. My bed...It calls to me.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:41 PM

Anyone traveling from edmonton area through past red deer?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHowler View Post
As for the flying squirrels, I'd love too but are they legal? I've never seen anything in the regulations regarding them.

Flying Squirrels are indeed bycatch for some. But with the newer methods using conibear type traps, not so common any more.

And they would not be a good species to practice on. They have a very thing and delicate hide. And because of their flight webs they are chalanging to stretch and dry.
Yes I've done a few. More out of cureosity then anything.

We did catch a few in Marten set but we caught a whole lot more in Red Squirrel snares.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-19-2015, 08:26 AM

I hate to be the one bringing this up but, if you are having skin issues an your mother has bad allergies. Are you sure you want to get into this?
I'll be going to red deer around the end of feb an could probably bring you a fresh rubbed coyote then. Don't play around with the mangy coyotes, they ain't worth taking a chance of catching mange yourself.
Pm me if your interested.