Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-22-2015, 12:30 PM

Default lynx

Hi guys, it's been a while since I participated in this forum (hunting and general), back when I was coyote hunting a lot. I'm doing more photography than shooting right now and recently bought a FoxPro Crossfire caller. With it this past Sunday I called in a lynx to 20 feet and got some good pics. Would love to call a wolverine in too. This lynx I called was just north of Cynthia. I did see two more but with a mouth call only got them within 40 yards. And they hid in the brush. I'd appreciate any information on areas with high lynx populations this season as it just increases the odds of calling one of these cats in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I see you.jpg (17.1 KB, 228 views)
Old 01-22-2015, 01:52 PM

Nice pics! Looks for bush with lots of rabbit sign! Looks like you are in the right spot if you saw 3!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 01-22-2015, 02:32 PM

WOW how cool is that. Good job on the calling. I find them mostly in my area where there has been logging and there is decent regrowth of lodgepole. Usually it holds rabbits and has good lynx numbers around.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:49 PM

Thanks Nube, and Mark, that describes the Cynthia area. Last year I heard north of Slave Lake was good but when I went up in the spring there was no fresh snow and all else was heavy crust. No tracks to be found in that.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM

Sweet picture. Thanks for posting and I wish you lots of luck and success in calling in your targets. Looking forward to seeing a Wolverine from you.

BW
Old 01-22-2015, 03:56 PM

Nube, I took a quick scan of your links, WOW. Where is your trapline located? That one Marten looks huge in comparison to the others.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 AM

Were you using a jack rabbit call or cottontail. I recently was wondering if lynx could be called in. But I am not sure which rabbit distress call sounded like snowshoe hair. Maybe it matters very little. I'm not sure. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You were doing something right to get a cat to come in, a bonus for you to see it too! Nice picture, keep them coming.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-23-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
Were you using a jack rabbit call or cottontail. I recently was wondering if lynx could be called in. But I am not sure which rabbit distress call sounded like snowshoe hair. Maybe it matters very little. I'm not sure. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
Bill, for years I've been using Scenery calls, the Snowshoe rabbit one. I've tried dozens. The sound is halfway between cottontail and jack rabbit is how I'd describe it. I've called probably 300 coyotes with it and 4 lynx now. The first one I didn't have a camera, the pair a couple weeks ago stayed out 40m and in light brush and the fourth I saw his tracks afterwards. The bobcat hunters in the states use more higher pitch sounds like cottontail, woodpecker distress, etc. Also the consensus is call constantly for an hour at least. Cats get bored easily it seems. This is hard to do with a mouth blown call. The FoxPro I got is great and because cats are more sight dependent the call placed a distance from you keeps the cat from focusing on you. I'm still playing with it and will be out this weekend.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You were doing something right to get a cat to come in, a bonus for you to see it too! Nice picture, keep them coming.
Will do.