Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-18-2015, 10:48 PM

Default What do you use for bear bait?

Hello AO.
I have been speaking with several members about what they use for bait.
Lots of different baits and the reasons behind using them.
So lets hear what you use/ your bait set-up!

I will go first.
I dont use meat very often. Usually use a 5 gallon pail filled with a dozen timmies donuts and 75% water and 25% honey. Put it in the freezer and it will usually stay semi solid for 48 hours once removed. Once that bait is melted and eaten i use donuts in a barrell with peppermint extract on them. Seems to work and very few critters touch it other than bear.
Thinking about using beaver again this year, paired with the above setup.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:08 PM

Always got a 5 gallon stink bucket .. usually fish remains from ice fishing season , and then its cheap dog food some type of grain and popcorn.. always have a beaver in steal case so they really have to work at getting it out !!
Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 AM

I quad out my genny and hot air popcorn machine, Fill a few 5 gal pail with reddin orvillbakker, ha, and good to go.
5" oval hole in the pail lids, but rope them, peg to the ground.
Re do it if they've cleaned it out.
Even works good in a bit of rain as bears rarely stand up the pails, or leave then upright.

TBark
Old 02-19-2015, 05:23 AM
Banned

Best bait I have ever used was German Rye bread that I used to buy at a bread maker in Winnipeg at 5.00 a big industrial bag, that they were about to throw away. I would fill up a 45 gallon drum stuffed full.

In front of the barrel I would scrape away all of the leafs etc and put down 20 to 40 liters of used restaurant grease, so that every bear that visited the location would leave a great secent trail back to my bait from wherever it went.

Every time I baited I would bring in a coleman stove and burn a can of honey and or a package of bacon until it was burnt to a crisp. I would also hang a bucket of honey and honey combes that I would get from a local bee keeper and hang it in a tree where bears could not get at it and where the sun could heat it up during the day.

This setup worked great for me and what I like about this set up it that I didnt have to deal with any stinking animal parts, carcasses or roting fish.

Biggest Black bear had a skull measurment of 22 1/4"
Old 02-19-2015, 06:07 AM

Best bait.... used tampons. hang em in trees like christmas decorations. Guarantees to bring in Boars. And best yet, its not considered baiting. So start collecting them guys....
Old 02-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
Best bait.... used tampons. hang em in trees like christmas decorations. Guarantees to bring in Boars. And best yet, its not considered baiting. So start collecting them guys....
Old 02-19-2015, 06:33 AM

i use about anything i can get.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Default test

I ran a test last year while baiting bears. I had two barrels set up one with strictly meat products and one with strictly sweets. What I found was the meat products bring in way to many ravens and it tripped my trail cam till it was full of pics of birds and little bears.

I also noticed that the bears ate the sweets first especially in the spring which I believe is due to the fact that I heard initially coming out of the Den bears stomachs are not ready to start digesting meat, it takes a bit before they start consuming large amounts of meat. Does not mean the scent of meat wont bring them in because it does Especially beaver. But just from my test they ate the sweets first!

Also experimented with cheap dog food last year and that seems to keep the bears around more and more came in when that stuff was around, along with lots of bear crap haha
Old 02-19-2015, 10:13 AM

Fresh meat and various scents. Bacon grease smeared all over. Cooking grease from a specific restaurant. Honey burns.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:39 AM

I have a good Supply of camp food So I Always get 1 Pale of Bacon grease and 1 pale of donut fryer grease. Then it’s pale after pale of donuts and whatever camp food I can get. Then I get a couple bags of oats to keep the bears feeding at the bait mixed with molasses.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Not baiting ? How so ? is it not an attractant ?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Im hoping its a joke
Old 02-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Im hoping its a joke
oh god.. me too.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:37 PM

Well last year we had a bear problem and decided to deal with it
Hung my Ex husband from the tree and he put up such a stink !!

Bear problem solved

Ex still a problem
Old 02-19-2015, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out the punchline.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Im hoping its a joke
Me too .. and it's not funny .
Old 02-19-2015, 07:58 PM

Sardines.....can't beat them.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 PM

Default Bait

Non residents. If they Set there stand 90 yard from my 8yr old stand again this year. You may build the boats but I shoot the boar. Lol
Apologize in advance if I upset my fellow ALBERTAN outdoorsmen
Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingaddict View Post
Non residents. If they Set there stand 90 yard from my 8yr old stand again this year. You may build the boats but I shoot the boar. Lol
Apologize in advance if I upset my fellow ALBERTAN outdoorsmen
more please. what happened
Old 02-20-2015, 12:08 AM

Default Bait

Not to get off topic. My fellow Canadians are awesome but if I was to go in there backyard and set up my stand beside there's u think these be civil. Last year went to rebait my barrels signs posted got to my trail marker to my stand. Than was approached by 2 buddy's let's say. Telling me that they were hunting here first and wanted me to leave the area. I simply asked them why they set there bait up 90yrds more like 50 from my stand. They tolde its crown land and they can hunt anywhere they want to. As they where getting more hostile I loaded some slugs to show them I'm not gonna get pushed around I told them my stand has been there for 8yrs. I also told them that if they would have asked I would let them use my stand when I'm not around. I've did this for anybody for the last three years because everybody has to go shoot a bear now too many guys watch a tv show and think they have to get one but have no clue how to find there own these two where very aggressive where I hunt there's 500sq miles of crown and they had to set close to mine. And yes they saw my signs. The last laugh is when I ran into them when I hauled out my. 21 5/8 boar a week later 8yrds with my bow. Popcorn and jam happy huntin
Old 02-20-2015, 05:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not to get off topic. My fellow Canadians are awesome but if I was to go in there backyard and set up my stand beside there's u think these be civil. Last year went to rebait my barrels signs posted got to my trail marker to my stand. Than was approached by 2 buddy's let's say. Telling me that they were hunting here first and wanted me to leave the area. I simply asked them why they set there bait up 90yrds more like 50 from my stand. They tolde its crown land and they can hunt anywhere they want to. As they where getting more hostile I loaded some slugs to show them I'm not gonna get pushed around I told them my stand has been there for 8yrs. I also told them that if they would have asked I would let them use my stand when I'm not around. I've did this for anybody for the last three years because everybody has to go shoot a bear now too many guys watch a tv show and think they have to get one but have no clue how to find there own these two where very aggressive where I hunt there's 500sq miles of crown and they had to set close to mine. And yes they saw my signs. The last laugh is when I ran into them when I hauled out my. 21 5/8 boar a week later 8yrds with my bow. Popcorn and jam happy huntin

Contsider yourself fortunate that they ddid't steal your bait or trail cam if you had one there!

Congrats on a beauty bear, can we see the picture?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Not considered a food, its a scent, like doe in estrus etc. Read the regulations for baits. Some CO's will B.S. you about it being baiting, just not so.

As far as being a joke I tried this for the first time in Northern Ontario. I got the hint from Fred Bear. Worked very well, shot my first bear while we dropped a bag full of them. The bear ate them pooped them ate them again and rolled in them. Walked within 20 yards from him and he didn't react to us.

I have used other "baits" and attractants, Tampons work the best. I have shot a few dozen bears over the years, it always works.

Last edited by Blackwolf; 02-20-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I had the same problem with camping this year. Some guy decided he could camp 10 feet away from me. When I confronted him and pointed out all the other areas he could camp he said that he camped there all the time, it was crown land and it was his right to camp anywhere he wanted. I said fine, and got my horse trailer and parked the back door 5 feet from his camp. He no longer could hook up, and move, when he came a screamed at me I told him that it was crown land and I could park any where I wanted. BTW my horses like to bang and kick the trailer all night long. He had to put up with us moving the horses in and out all weekend.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Banned

It may work but all I gotta say is

Last edited by edmhunter; 02-20-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
It may work but all I gotta say is
Yup, I will carry many of things in a bag in the bush, dog poo rotting meat... Feminine hygiene products no thank you.
But if it works for you, who am I to judge.

I have had a few guys pull up a trailer 50 feet from my tent while on crown land, middle of nowhere lots of other areas... I do not get it, I enjoy the privacy and assume other campers would as well. I don't make a big deal out of it unless they are Loud or rude, then the skunk "essence" comes out and they are usually gone within a couple hours.

Back on topic, I do like the bacon/fast food grease ideas...
Old 02-28-2015, 12:25 PM

Default leftovers from trapping???

Morning,
More of a question than a suggestion.Could you use leftover carcasses from trapping, Beaver of course, but what about squirrel, martin,muskrat, or even coyote and fox?Be a good way to dispose of carcasses.
Just wondering?
Ken
Old 02-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GummyMonster View Post
Morning,
More of a question than a suggestion.Could you use leftover carcasses from trapping, Beaver of course, but what about squirrel, martin,muskrat, or even coyote and fox?Be a good way to dispose of carcasses.
Just wondering?
Ken
From what I have seen from using beaver, cow and fish, especially fish is that bears don't like it and leave it there. It's the grains they want and like to bloat up their bellies to get their digestive system up and running again.

Besides who wants to sit over a bait, in Gods country that STINKS or has feminine Hygiene products hanging off of the trees?

Last edited by edmhunter; 02-28-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:49 PM

Beavers seem to work very well, I've also used Timbits, rotting meat and maple syrup

Apparently burning honey works very well
Old 02-28-2015, 06:00 PM

Default beavers and cookie dough

Best thing there is not easy get ahold of for cheap but is cookie dough old outdated places get rid of it and works amazin. Everything from chocolate to just dough seems like bears get addicted to it. Also throw up a beaver with the combo bears cant resist.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:03 PM

I'm going on my first bear hunt EVER this spring and I. Can say what we are putting together. 4 55 gallon drums of oats (we are running four baits), 20 5 gallon pails of fryer grease (from a number of places) a whole trailer load of bagels and a 55 gallon drum of robins doughnuts. We are all beaver trappers and have access to, well, hundreds and hundreds of beavers, but will not use them as the smell is so terrible. I'm going with a friend/mentor who's hunted many many bears off this combination. What do you guys think? It's good? Or beavers work better? Or what?