Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 AM

Default Advice Please on Fly Line Selection

Hi All,

I am getting in to fly fishing and have purchased a 9 foot Loomis Pro 4X in 5 weight and have a Grey reel for 4-5-6 weight line with 2 spools. I bought a Rio WF5F line and now am wondering what type of line to get as a second choice. From what I have read it seems that the floating lines are fairly versatile as they can be combined with different leaders for either dry or sinking tip type set ups. This leads me to think that a sinking line would be the best choice for my second spool as I understand that type line is usually used in still water such as lakes and ponds. I thought maybe an Intermediate or #1 would be my best choice.

Can anyone advise if I am on the right track or not and if I am what rate of sink I should get for my first sinking line? I live in Calgary so have lots of water accessible in an hour or so. I would likely be mostly shore fishing/wading and less frequently in a boat of some sort.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:21 AM

Smile This is not advice, just questions

I'll let the up to date experts answer. They will want to know what type of fishing do you want to do. Lakes, large rivers, small streams. It will make a difference to their advice.

Do you want to fish nymphs? In what type of water? How about a dry fly on a small stream?

Post the answers and I'm sure that you will get excellent advice.

From my grandfather, an Atlantic salmon fisherman, careful presentation is the most important element, and careful wading is better than long casting.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:01 AM

I all ready have a dry fly set up for surface fishing on a stream or creek (and river??) so what I am looking for is mostly lake/pond set up.

I am new so can't say what kind of fishing I would do for most part. I am looking to have some versatility with something that will catch submerged fish.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:38 PM

Having a fast sinking (type IV or V) sink tip for streamer fishing the Bow is a good idea.
Your floating line combined with a strike indicator and long leader will serve you well for lake fishing. My sinking lines don't get used that much. For your 3rd line, I would suggest a clear, intermediate type I line
Old 05-31-2015, 09:32 PM

Thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 09:45 PM

I mainly do lake/pond fishing but I have a 6 wt setup with floating line, type 3 sinking and type 6 sinking. All have their places and I am glad I have all 3. I don't really feel the need for any other type line, the only advantage would maybe be a sink tip for trolling in shallow water but I find the type 3 works good enough or the floating line if I troll slow.

I use the floating for still fishing and for slow shallow water trolling, type 3 for trolling/retrieving in 10-15 fow and the type 6 in 15-30 fow.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks, this is helpful
Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM

If fishing from shore, a fast sink is rarely required, nor wanted.

If I had to pick one sinking line for shore fishing, it would be an intermediate clear "slime line".
Old 06-03-2015, 12:35 AM

Most of the time on lakes, I will use a Stillwater 1-1/2"/sec sink rate for nymphs down to about 10ft. I use a floater for atomic worms when the waves are maybe 3-6in., or with chironomids , when anchored.
If I need to get down below about 8-10ft to troll, then I go to a type 6 sink line, and I use it when I am fast trolling a leech at dusk.