Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-04-2015, 12:36 PM

Default Last couple years have been miserably hot for bow hunting

What do you people think? Gonna be 27 above again for most of September? Or are we gonna see some cooler more seasonal temps for the first few weeks of the season?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:55 PM

I really hope it's not as hot. 3-7 degrees overnight and a daytime high of about 10-14 would be awesome
My prediction is it will be cooler than last year, but as always, a few hot days. Of course, if I read the farmer's almanac I would probably have a more accurate prediction. Anyone know what that is saying for this fall?
Old 08-04-2015, 12:56 PM

Yep have to find a water hole and sit tight
Old 08-04-2015, 02:00 PM

SEPTEMBER 2015: temperature 10°C (1°C below avg.); precipitation 45mm (30mm above avg. east, 20mm below west); Sep 1-6: Showers east; showers, then snow west; turning chilly; Sep 7-9: Showers east, sunny west; cool; Sep 10-13: Sunny; warm east, cool west; Sep 14-19: Showers east; rain, then snow west; cool; Sep 20-28: Sunny, warm; Sep 29-30: Rain to snow, turning cold.

Just read that from the Long range almanac forcast.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:59 PM

I'm readying for hot and dry.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2137816/el...canada-expert/
Old 08-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Banned

We had snow the first week in September last year.

Then it warmed up for opening rifle. We always seen to get a stretch of +20 temps mid September
Old 08-04-2015, 07:52 PM

I hate heat...but it sure makes muleys predictable
Old 08-04-2015, 08:48 PM

Default Hunt in October/November

It is possible you could hunt later into the season with your bow, I know its a harder hunt if you're looking for a bugling bull elk, but trails to feeding/bedding areas are still do-able, shot my elk with a bow in October last year, bulls were fired up for a short second rut. seen it more than once...elk bugling when most think they are done rutting. Really depends on bull to cow ratios...they all have to get bred for calves to keep the cycle of life in motion.

Deer its all about the feed, does will be there...bucks will come if there not already there too.

Know where they are, get up in a tree and use the wind regardless of your intended target.

If your truely an archery hunter...leave the gun at home and hunt with the bow until the season ends. I know a couple guys that hunt gun zones with bows. It is a harder hunt but everyone likes a challenge, if shooting animals at 300 yards is getting old, hold out and give them a "fair chase" with your bow.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I really hope it's not as hot. 3-7 degrees overnight and a daytime high of about 10-14 would be awesome
My prediction is it will be cooler than last year, but as always, a few hot days. Of course, if I read the farmer's almanac I would probably have a more accurate prediction. Anyone know what that is saying for this fall?
x2
Old 08-05-2015, 10:49 PM

Thanks sharpie.
We built a snowman in our front yard in the first week of school, but then had a hot remainder of the month. We had rain Oct 1 then I mowed the lawn Nov 1 and went out to the hunting area for half a day. It looked like a nice Sept day.
Oh man, no matter the weather, I'll be out!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpslayer View Post
It is possible you could hunt later into the season with your bow, I know its a harder hunt if you're looking for a bugling bull elk, but trails to feeding/bedding areas are still do-able, shot my elk with a bow in October last year, bulls were fired up for a short second rut. seen it more than once...elk bugling when most think they are done rutting. Really depends on bull to cow ratios...they all have to get bred for calves to keep the cycle of life in motion.

Deer its all about the feed, does will be there...bucks will come if there not already there too.

Know where they are, get up in a tree and use the wind regardless of your intended target.

If your truely an archery hunter...leave the gun at home and hunt with the bow until the season ends. I know a couple guys that hunt gun zones with bows. It is a harder hunt but everyone likes a challenge, if shooting animals at 300 yards is getting old, hold out and give them a "fair chase" with your bow.
Thread was intended to be about the weather in the first few weeks of the season............ I to will be out there every minute i can from day one till the last. Rain, snow, wind, HEAT or bitter cold.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Won't go.....To me hunting in 25 degree plus weather just don't feel natural.Ill often go fishing instead or maybe hunt mountain grouse in the cool hours of the morning but that's it. November with a foot of snow and minus -15 that's big game hunting weather to me.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:02 AM

In my experience those hot September days can be the best! Keeps animals in the cool pockets for bedding and then when it starts cooling off at night a burst of activity. Added bonus is the "its too hot to hunt, nothings moving hunters" are no where to be seen

Bull Elk want a piece of cow no matter the temperature.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 AM

I just hope we don't see another freak foot of snow we had last Sept in 310. That really screwed up my early season hunt. Deer stopped moving for two days

I would love to bow hunt during the November rut but I'm too afraid of being shot at by some trigger happy noob...again.

With that being said, rain, sleet, snow or heat wave I will be out. Can't fill the freezer from the couch.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
SEPTEMBER 2015: temperature 10°C (1°C below avg.); precipitation 45mm (30mm above avg. east, 20mm below west); Sep 1-6: Showers east; showers, then snow west; turning chilly; Sep 7-9: Showers east, sunny west; cool; Sep 10-13: Sunny; warm east, cool west; Sep 14-19: Showers east; rain, then snow west; cool; Sep 20-28: Sunny, warm; Sep 29-30: Rain to snow, turning cold.

Just read that from the Long range almanac forcast.
Almanac is wrong usually like telling us last year was going to be a hard cold winter, turned out to be opposite lol
Old 08-06-2015, 01:21 PM

Then hunt the Waterholes...Nuff said. get your trail cams on them to see whats coming in.