Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 12:36 PM

Default Bringing Bucks Into Bow Range this time of year

Hey guys,

This year I told myself I wanted to shoot a decent buck with my bow and bow only. I usually go into November with the intentions of using my bow but with limited time because of work I tend to pull out the boom stick just to ensure meat in the freezer. I am not shooting a buck this year unless it is with my bow. I'll eat the tag if I have too. Last week I was out and managed to rattle in multiple small 4's and a couple smaller. I have Monday to Thursday morning next week to make it happen, fingers crossed.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips on what calls to use that time of rut and what to stay away from. Last week I had success rattling, grunting and using a doe bleat. Will this work this next week or should I stick with just the occasional doe bleat? My stand is on a perfect intersection of game trails. My uncles property holds a lot of deer and I've seen lots in there but none that were worth shooting. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:06 PM

Although I can't help with your question on calls to use, I'd like to encourage you that next week is probably prime time and your best opportunities are yet to come. Keep at it, you're going to get him!
My opinion is that doe bleats is what I would lean toward but I have little experience with deer. Based mostly off elk experience. When you're looking for a lady, would you rather find her or fight someone also looking for her?
Old 11-19-2015, 03:15 PM

Default Bringing Bucks Into Bow Range this time of year

Thanks kujoseto, I will keep that in mind. This is the deer I was holding up for. Not the biggest but seen him early November, 100 yards from my stand

This other guy I had on my cam from early this season but he disappeared
Old 11-19-2015, 05:46 PM

the key is attracting does ... if you can do that, bucks will surely follow.

It's very tough during peak rut (now) to get bucks to respond to anything and deter them from their hot doe trail, but from my experience, heavy heavy hard rattling when you see a buck can do it.

Don't expect them to come cautiously in, they will generally come straight to you so the next challenge is getting a good shot angle .... they'll usually provide one, but the window is short so be ready ...really ready.

heavy up on the scent, that'll bring them in for a sniff too if they haven't found a doe.

good luck.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:55 PM

I'm know expert but I shoot big whitetails every year in the rut. My trick is do a pee drag for the last 100 yards on my way to the stand. Make sure u keep putting pee on your drag cloth every 20 yards to keep the smell fresh and strong. When you get to your stand put your bottle of pee on the ground with the lid off. I hunt from a stand and when I get up there I get settled in and blow my doe call three times every half hour. I like to blow my call in front of me then to both sides and don't blow to hard. My second hunt in the rut this year I cranked a 6x5 whitetail. I was only in my stand for 10 mins and he came out with his mouth wide open and tongue hanging out. He came right to me and I grunted to stop him and that was it.