Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2015, 07:43 PM

Default Youth Model 22

Any recommendations on a youth model 22 to go down to the range and plink targets etc. I am looking for either a single shot or a bolt action. For the bolt actions do them make a dummy magazine/clip so it can be a single shot.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:51 PM

When my boy turned 7 I bought him a savage cub. Great shooting little 22, not sure if they still make them or not. Depending on the age and experience of the kid, I would start beginners out with a single shot.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
When my boy turned 7 I bought him a savage cub. Great shooting little 22, not sure if they still make them or not. Depending on the age and experience of the kid, I would start beginners out with a single shot.
I learned on a single shot and it made me a better shot, plus I believe that they are safer also.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:47 PM

I found the CZ 452 Scout to be pretty great as well. It has a dummy magazine, then you can go to the 5 or 10 shot magazines.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:05 PM

Default Gotta like those CZ Scouts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Boy View Post
I found the CZ 452 Scout to be pretty great as well. It has a dummy magazine, then you can go to the 5 or 10 shot magazines.
X2
I started my boy on Savage Rascal when he was 6. Now that he's turning 10 this spring it's time for a repeater. IMO there is no better youth rimfire than the Scout! This one is somewhat hopped up with an aftermarket triggerguard, trigger tune, aluminum magazine well and extended magazine release. It's topped off with a Leupold rimfire 2-7X33 and the open sights have been removed. The Scout may be considered a youth 22, but it's hardly the smallest one out there, probably best for children 10 years old or so.

Pictured with an adult sized 22 for size comparison.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I just went through the same quest for a 22 for the grand kids coming up. Looked at all the different manufacturers of youth models and picked the Scout as the best choice for us. It is a very nice 452 that will serve its purpose well with the newest generation in the family. I am looking forward to some open sight time on gophers myself. The young lady Katelyn at flys etc. in high river was a pleasure to deal with and we are looking forward to spending more of outdoor cash there.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:05 PM

Default Don't forget the shotgun.

Here are what my eight year old shoots. The Little Rascal is surprisingly accurate and he has smashed lots of clay birds on stationary stands with the .410. The face that kids make when they blow up a clay for the first time is priceless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-11-2015, 11:10 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Just picked up a Savage Rascal for my daughter to learn on. She likes it.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:52 PM

I bought a bright pink Savage Rascal for my daughter when she was five, it was a bit big at the time, she could use it ok when she was six and now that she's seven she's a pretty good shot with it. For $200 it's a great little rifle and suprisingly accurrate. And of course being pink she's loved it from the moment she saw it!
Old 12-12-2015, 11:06 AM

The CZ 452 Scout is a great little gun. That's what my boy shoots. It's more expensive than most youth 22's but it's built to last. I've had a 452 since I was 12 so it's nice to start him with the same one. Be prepared to search a bit though as they aren't the easiest to find.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:07 PM

I bought mine a marlin xt22ys1 stainless laminated single shot, it's pretty cool! They discontinued them so pretty hard to find but there are a few repeaters around still xt22yr is model on those.

And because its Xmas here's a tip for everyone - Barton's in GP has the TC hotshots 22lr in stock, check them out on google. Quite a few people like them for the kids and they are hard to find. They have 3 kinds there around 300 bucks, a bit more than there worth bit could be cause of the US dollar.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2015, 03:46 PM

Well all those rifles and exspecially CZ and that Hotshot have definitely got my attention. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I bought my son the same thing. It has been an excellent shooter.