Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2015, 08:51 PM

Default anyone have ice reports on eagle lake near calgary

was wondering if anyone has checked the ice on eagle lake in Strathmore or chestermere over the last week or so
Old 12-03-2015, 10:18 PM

It was completely frozen over on Sunday but I didn't stop to check the thickness
Old 12-04-2015, 09:44 AM

Why not put on your t shirt and shorts and run between the ice heaves and let us know if it's the same as back home

Seriously tho I think with the weather the past few days and what is forecast there are no lakes around Calgary that you would consider safe ice.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Why not put on your t shirt and shorts and run between the ice heaves and let us know if it's the same as back home

Seriously tho I think with the weather the past few days and what is forecast there are no lakes around Calgary that you would consider safe ice.

Just interested as I been in ontario for 2 months at my cottage
Old 12-06-2015, 08:36 AM

I seen 2 groups of people out ice fishing on Chestermere on Dec.2, I don't know how thick the ice is. With little to no snow this year it seems like most of the ice on the lakes is quite clear.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 AM

My guess would be with the warm temp and wind we have been having and expecting more the ice is most likely starting to rot, similar to spring break.

Be careful
Old 12-06-2015, 10:02 AM

Ice was good at south end of Chestermere yesterday.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 PM

About a foot was out there with son and buddy today, afternoon fishing caught one walleye and 3 pike, didn't keep any and missed a bunch more. Wouldn't recommend driving on it quite yet though and watch out for pressure heave in the middle on the south end!
Old 12-22-2015, 08:29 AM

Do you just walk on at that boat launch off the gravel road north of the campground?
Old 12-22-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmw9 View Post
Do you just walk on at that boat launch off the gravel road north of the campground?
I've always accessed it off the boat launch on the west side, just head down the eagle lake nursery road and it will be on the east side of the road just before it turns 90 degrees to the west! Good luck.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K born View Post
I've always accessed it off the boat launch on the west side, just head down the eagle lake nursery road and it will be on the east side of the road just before it turns 90 degrees to the west! Good luck.
Eagle Lake nursery road is that RR 245? Never been out there before and I was thinking of taking the niece out for the day. On Google maps it looks like there is a house on RR 245 just before the 90° turn to the west. Is that where the boat launch is? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:36 PM

Yes that house is at the turn. Just take the Nursery turn off and when the road forces you to go right, park and go onto the ice at the boat launch which is on your left hand side.

Big pressure ridge running east and west right across the lake so not a good idea to drive on just yet. Ice is around 8-10 inches and water is very dirty but hopefully will clean up.