Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2016, 09:20 PM
Banned

Default Bank card fraud.

Hey guys,

I got a phone call today while on my way to work concerning my President's Choice account from their fraud department.

I saw that it was the bank but let it go to voicemail and I called them back.

Seems my card use was flagged, at some point for fraudulent activity.

I wasn't given much details.

The big one being my accounts are OK (whew!)

I guess an area that I used my card has had suspicious activity and it sent a flag to the bank concerning my use.

After a couple of verifications, of my use I was advised that limited use has been put in place, and to change my PIN at a bank machine within 72 hours.

I'm usually pretty careful with my bank card and PIN.

I can only think of a couple of Tim Horton's where I tapped instead of entering my PIN.

I usually only use that card feature for simple $2 to $5 transactions, so maybe that's what triggered a flag, if it went beyond that.

Double checking my accounts, everything seems fine.

First PIN change in almost 12 years.

Keep your money safe out there.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

. . . First PIN change in almost 12 years . . .

A blessing in disguise ^ ... They got you to 'Finally' change your PIN !!!

Depending how often a card is used, the PIN code should be changed, at the very least, once a year.

Mac
Old 01-09-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

I got a phone call today while on my way to work concerning my President's Choice account from their fraud department.

I guess an area that I used my card has had suspicious activity and it sent a flag to the bank concerning my use.

After a couple of verifications, of my use I was advised that limited use has been put in place, and to change my PIN at a bank machine within 72 hours.

I can only think of a couple of Tim Horton's where I tapped instead of entering my PIN.

I usually only use that card feature for simple $2 to $5 transactions, so maybe that's what triggered a flag, if it went beyond that.

Are you sure the call wasn't a scam?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-09-2016, 10:53 PM

Happened to me last summer. I've never used this tap feature you're talking about and the bank wouldn't tell me where I used my card.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Banned

Default Bank card fraud.

[QUOTE=Sundancefisher;3100304]Are you sure the call wasn't a scam?[

It's why I let it go to voicemail and called them back.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:13 AM

Tap is awesome if your dishonest and found someone's card . You can go to town on them one tap at a time
Old 01-10-2016, 07:59 AM

what are the other disadvantages of the tap? For me it does not work half the time so I just use the pin number. I still remember the old swipe machines where someone at Sunshine Village got a copy of my card and tried to take me for $5000.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 AM

Happened this summer to me with my Mastercard. Bank said it had been compromised so they closed the account and sent me a new card.

My debit card has the tap feature. Like using it. If stolen I am protected against fraudulent charges plus can only tap up to $200 in charges maximum before you have to use your pin at which point it resets the $200 limit.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
what are the other disadvantages of the tap? For me it does not work half the time so I just use the pin number. I still remember the old swipe machines where someone at Sunshine Village got a copy of my card and tried to take me for $5000.
Another disadvantage of tap is there are devices out their that someone can literally put in their hand brush up against you and if your card is not in one of those protection sleeves or lots of wallets have them built in now they can still get your info.I was on a house boating earlier this year and at the same time apparently in Vegas spending a bunch of cash, I'm assuming this is what happened to me since my card was new never used till after I got back from the trip and it was the bank that informed me of the breach. I carry cash alote more nowadays have had way to many issues over the years.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Tap is awesome if your dishonest and found someone's card . You can go to town on them one tap at a time
Card can only be used up to $100 per transaction, and after $200, the card needs the pin to be reset. Plus the bank covers you if it's been stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1 View Post
Another disadvantage of tap is there are devices out their that someone can literally put in their hand brush up against you and if your card is not in one of those protection sleeves or lots of wallets have them built in now they can still get your info.I was on a house boating earlier this year and at the same time apparently in Vegas spending a bunch of cash, I'm assuming this is what happened to me since my card was new never used till after I got back from the trip and it was the bank that informed me of the breach. I carry cash alote more nowadays have had way to many issues over the years.
Completely false information.

Quote:
Can the information on my card be intercepted during the transaction?
The data that passes from the card to the card reader cannot be used to conduct fraudulent transactions or ID theft. The card only contains information related to payment codes for debit transactions
Btw....is there any way you can recover all that cash in your wallet if it was ever lost or stolen?
I'm just curious as I NEVER carry cash, yet still have access to all my money, and if my wallet is ever lost or stolen, I'm not worried about losing one dime. Not to mention extra warranty and protection on any purchases I make with my cards.

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 01-10-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=ETOWNCANUCK;3100332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Are you sure the call wasn't a scam?[

It's why I let it go to voicemail and called them back.
Never call the number back. Always call back to the fraud prevention line tell them who called and the number and have them confirm.

Friend just had a call like that. The call back number was a real number and they answered it like the real deal but it was just an elaborate scam.

Crooks can leave phone numbers...everything can sound legit. If Betty called me from TD Bank at 403-555-5555 and said call back right away as there is fraud on my account I call TD posted fraud phone number on their website.

I am not sure what info you have but if you gave an old pin, birthdate, address, confirmed phone number, account number etc... I would be worried UNLESS you called the main phone number to confirm.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Happened this summer to me with my Mastercard. Bank said it had been compromised so they closed the account and sent me a new card.

My debit card has the tap feature. Like using it. If stolen I am protected against fraudulent charges plus can only tap up to $200 in charges maximum before you have to use your pin at which point it resets the $200 limit.
Me also.

If the machine is compromised or bogus it can record your number and pin. Only way mine could of been scammed.

Online capture is also bad.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Card can only be used up to $100 per transaction, and after $200, the card needs the pin to be reset. Plus the bank covers you if it's been stolen.

Completely false information.

Btw....is there any way you can recover all that cash in your wallet if it was ever lost or stolen?
I'm just curious as I NEVER carry cash, yet still have access to all my money, and if my wallet is ever lost or stolen, I'm not worried about losing one dime. Not to mention extra warranty and protection on any purchases I make with my cards.
Digital pick pocketing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...r-SECONDS.html
Old 01-10-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Hey guys,

All that happened was somewhere a machine was compromised at a business where you used your card. The bank let's everyone who has used that same business with their card know by freezing the card and request you come in to get a new card and pin. It's happened a few times for me, and is quite common. It doesn't mean your card was compromised or your information stolen.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:09 AM

Why make it easy for people to get your cash. Deactivate the tap feature. God forbid someone actually to use a pin pad or carry cash.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
That would be great if "tap" cards used RFID technology. Fortunately they don't. Completely different technology.

It's all moot though. Even if someone WAS able to somehow get your card, and run up a staggering $200 in gum and newspaper purchases....you're still not out that money!! Zero Liability

Do some research:

http://canada.creditcards.com/credit...myths-1264.php
Old 01-10-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Why make it easy for people to get your cash. Deactivate the tap feature. God forbid someone actually to use a pin pad or carry cash.
99 percent of all fraudulently made debit/credit cards are made from people using pinpads.
And again, with cash. You can lose it or can have it stolen. Gone.
With debit/credit cards, you're protected.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
All that happened was somewhere a machine was compromised at a business where you used your card. The bank let's everyone who has used that same business with their card know by freezing the card and request you come in to get a new card and pin. It's happened a few times for me, and is quite common. It doesn't mean your card was compromised or your information stolen.
I was told all my information was found in a car that was driving to Edmonton from Calgary.

Never let anyone take your cards out of sight. Under a counter or to the back.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I was told all my information was found in a car that was driving to Edmonton from Calgary.
Was it your wife?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Sundancefisher;3100487]
Quote:

Never call the number back. Always call back to the fraud prevention line tell them who called and the number and have them confirm.

Friend just had a call like that. The call back number was a real number and they answered it like the real deal but it was just an elaborate scam.

Crooks can leave phone numbers...everything can sound legit. If Betty called me from TD Bank at 403-555-5555 and said call back right away as there is fraud on my account I call TD posted fraud phone number on their website.

I am not sure what info you have but if you gave an old pin, birthdate, address, confirmed phone number, account number etc... I would be worried UNLESS you called the main phone number to confirm.

Sorry

That was what I meant.

I phoned the bank back through the customer service number on the back of my card.