Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2016, 11:01 AM

Default RV power issue...

So, this all started with my old 7 pin connector getting old and worn out, so I went to replace it. The factory one on the trailer was all potted together, so I had no choice but to cut it off to attach the new one.

I figured (Incorrectly, incidentally) that there would be no power going to the connector being that it was not hooked up to the truck, soooo I cut into it. Lesson learned. There was some angry arcing, and then it let the smoke out, which is never good, and then before I could disconnect the batteries, it stopped. And then nothing...

So I disconnect the battery, and go about replacing the connector. Finish that up, reconnect the battery hoping that a miracle happened in the mean time. But alas, t'was not to be. No power to the trailer.

I checked the fuses in the interior fuse panel, they're all fine (Including the reverse battery fuse, and the protect circuit fuse). I made sure I was getting continuity through the ground cable, cleaned up all my connections, etc. Everything in the trailer works when plugged into the house 110v external power.

I'm not getting continuity from the positive battery cable to anywhere (The ground cable, the frame, etc.). I'm assuming I should be able to complete a circuit between the positive and the trailer frame?

Continuity is good between the new 7 pin connector and the ground/frame.

Lastly, I connected my truck to the trailer, and all of the lights work (including the brake lights), but the brake controller (Factory built in Ford- not aftermarket) says 'trailer disconnected', and the brakes don't work. Would the trailer brakes require power from the batteries to work, or at least a closed battery connection?

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm just not the greatest with electrical issues (I know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to fix the things I mess up, haha).

Any advise would be appreciated, or suggestions to reasonable RV repair places in Calgary (It's a smaller trailer, I can pull it with no trailer brakes no problem, as the brake lights still work). I'm hesitant to take it to somewhere like Woody's, due to the obscene amounts they charge even for simple parts.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions!
Old 03-06-2016, 11:35 AM

Default Under the hood fuse

Did you check for the main fuse under the hood? There should be one there and that wire runs through the chassis to the back. I have done mine before so first thing to check. This keeps you from frying anything before it hits the fuse box.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Did you check for the main fuse under the hood? There should be one there and that wire runs through the chassis to the back. I have done mine before so first thing to check. This keeps you from frying anything before it hits the fuse box.
...Nope.

I wouldn't know where to look? Not that any of you would either, but the trailer is a 2006 Rockwood 1908. Any ideas where these things are normally hidden?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:17 PM

Default On the A frame

I am assuming you have a front cover for propane tanks when I say this. Remove it and usually on the A frame under it there is a circuit breaker. Check voltage coming through it. This is probably the last place to check until power hits the power box inside. If you have power there then the power supply area is where you need to check. Fuses first of course and also check and make sure you didn't fry something inside or circuit board.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:52 PM

I did almost the same thing. There's a fuse on the actual inverter itself that will need to be replaced now. My inverter was under the fuse panel behind the furnace piping (hard to get to) buy I swapped that 40amp fuse out and everything battery powered worked again!
Old 03-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Banned

Before you open everything up There should be a reset fuse with a very small button on the side of it, should be a small gray or black box. Mine is located under the goose neck on my fiver right by the trailer break away switch. Follow your lead cable that connects to your truck back to your battery, it should be accessible and in plane view but easy to miss as it doesn't appear to have a button on it for reset. I had the exact same issue with my Rockwood after reconnecting battery's last spring.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:08 PM

Default Huh ?

I'm not getting continuity from the positive battery cable to anywhere (The ground cable, the frame, etc.). I'm assuming I should be able to complete a circuit between the positive and the trailer frame?

The only circuit you will get from this is "a short circuit"
Old 03-06-2016, 04:31 PM

I can't remember who our resident Rv tech is.

I think it's boondocks but could be mistaken.
Maybe Big rack lover...

Anyone remember?

I have nothing else.. Electrical issues takes time. Good luck.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 03-06-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Before you open everything up There should be a reset fuse with a very small button on the side of it, should be a small gray or black box. Mine is located under the goose neck on my fiver right by the trailer break away switch. Follow your lead cable that connects to your truck back to your battery, it should be accessible and in plane view but easy to miss as it doesn't appear to have a button on it for reset. I had the exact same issue with my Rockwood after reconnecting battery's last spring.
That did it. That little box really doesn't look like anything. Positive coming off of the battery connected to a post, another post with the same positive going into a junction box, no continuity between them... Tiny little button that I wouldn't have even known was there.

Best little click I've heard in a long time when I found the button and pushed it.

The "trailer disconnected" problem is still there though. Weird. I'll check my wiring again on the 7pin connector...
Old 03-06-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
That did it. That little box really doesn't look like anything. Positive coming off of the battery connected to a post, another post with the same positive going into a junction box, no continuity between them... Tiny little button that I wouldn't have even known was there.

Best little click I've heard in a long time when I found the button and pushed it.

The "trailer disconnected" problem is still there though. Weird. I'll check my wiring again on the 7pin connector...
Maybe the leads on the truck have a little corrosion on them? If you left it connected the whole time, maybe try unhooking it for a moment and then plugging it back in.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post

I'm glad I could help, I haven't ran into the trailer disconnect issue yet.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I'm glad I could help, I haven't ran into the trailer disconnect issue yet.
I appreciate it, saved me from having to blindly tear into things, haha.

Thanks to everyone else as well, had TW's suggestion not worked, I would have continued down the line of difficulty, lol.

As far as the truck not recognizing the trailer... It's strange, all of the lights work including the brake light, even when I use the brake slider on the controller. It says trailer disconnected, but still illuminates the trailer brake lights.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 PM

Disconnect your truck battery for an hr and then reconnect that should reset the trucks codes.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_K1500 View Post
I did almost the same thing. There's a fuse on the actual inverter itself that will need to be replaced now. My inverter was under the fuse panel behind the furnace piping (hard to get to) buy I swapped that 40amp fuse out and everything battery powered worked again!
There's another fuse box between the inverter panel and the hitch, usually hard to see or find. Everyone I've told this to said I was nuts and everyone eventually found it. There should be a fuse there for all your trailer lights, brakes and the back feed from the inverter to your batteries. My trailer is an 09 and the fuse panel I found had the old glass round fuses and it was above the lowest frame cover but below the floor. Took me forever to find it but the wire that came to the inverter was different that the one that left the batteries so I kept searching until I found it
Old 03-06-2016, 11:22 PM

Your truck is not recognizing the trailer for some reason.
There should be a few fuses on the truck for trailer brakes. Rule those out first. If it's a ford, I have seen them pop a few times just from plugging in or unplugging the trailer connector.

After that, you need to be looking on the trailer side. Double check your wiring connections in the 7-pin. It sounds like they are ok though, due to the brake lights working.

After that, carry on down the line. A previous post said that there is another fuse box on the trailer. Check into that. I've never seen one myself, but my experience with rvs is limited.

Let us know how that works out. My bet is that the fuse on the truck side is blown for some reason.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:07 AM

My 2012 had a fuse go as described above. there are a couple of fuses in the system. Followed the fuse diagram to check them.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:57 AM

My 09 has the same message. I cleaned out the truck plug with air. Its good for a few weeks at a time, but then the trailer disconnected message comes back. Very sensitive to dust etc. You can also try a Ford Truck forum. Ive found them very helpful on lots of little issues and hints.