Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2016, 05:14 AM

Default Dog way too happy.

I have a 2 year d lab ...she is a great little dog. I have a problem with her wagging her tail so hard it bleeds from hitting the wall. Then as she moves around she has blood every place. My concern is this can not be good for her....and its not good for me as the wife is thinking both of us could live very well outside. Anyone ever see this tail problem...and if so other than having her tail docked and suggestions....ty.

Joe
Old 03-07-2016, 05:32 AM

My Lab/Retriever is prone to this as well. Google "Happy Tail"
Old 03-07-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottik9 View Post
I have a 2 year d lab ...she is a great little dog. I have a problem with her wagging her tail so hard it bleeds from hitting the wall. Then as she moves around she has blood every place. My concern is this can not be good for her....and its not good for me as the wife is thinking both of us could live very well outside. Anyone ever see this tail problem...and if so other than having her tail docked and suggestions....ty.

Joe
http://m.wikihow.com/Wrap-a-Dog's-Tail
Old 03-07-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderr View Post
My Lab/Retriever is prone to this as well. Google "Happy Tail"
That probably got me some virus's.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
That probably got me some virus's.
Ha, I never looked at it that way.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM

My parents had this issue with a Dane of theirs, it was horrible how much blood would get everywhere .......the best thing is to cover sharp corners and edges with pipe insulator and or pool noodles in the areas of "excitement" try and control the tail when possible.
Once it heals its usually pretty good its getting it healed again that's tough.
You can buy vet wrap and if she will leave it alone you can try wrapping her tail to help protect and heal.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:19 AM

NEVER dock a l;abs tail. It will severely mess with their swimming. You can teach the dog to not wag its tail, just like everything else. I taught mine to stop waging as soon as her tail contacted anything. It kept her from clearing off the coffee and end tables in the family room, it would also solve your issue.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:02 AM

Put a tail governor on the dog. A 2 pound weight on the dog's tail will slow down the wagging.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 AM

bigger house, or remove all furniture...
Old 03-07-2016, 12:34 PM

Tape a tennis ball on the end.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:01 PM

I agree with Dean2 do not dock the tail, if you can teach your dog to sit,come,stay etc the wagging can be dealt with.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:01 PM

Lots of good info....yhe ball on tne tail...well my springers would have her crazy. I will not dock her, may have to change.hsr living quaters to out doors. Seems she is not tbis off tbe wall outside.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:46 PM

Well I can weight in personally on this. My dog, Zulu has always been a vigorous tail wagger. We would come home occasionally to small or not too small blood spots on the corners of walls etc. Most of the time these weren't too bad as we don't have coffee tables or lots of things for her to hit with her tail and the wall corners in our houses are rounded or "soft" corners.

About a year after we moved into a different house, I came home early one day and the place looked like a crime scene. No big huge pools of blood or anything too horrific but the walls and doors were covered with a blood spatter and there were fine mists and drops of blood everywhere. I was still cleaning hours later when my wife came home to find me "hunting" for tiny spots on the walls, ceiling and baseboards. This was so bad that to this day, years later, I will still occasionally find a small pin sized drop or two, I can't say if they are from that incident or what but they still surface.

After "the incident" we bandaged her tail up and began the healing process. About a week later we had to take her to the vet because her tail was "rotting". I don't know if she hit it again, I really don't think so because we were really vigilant about that or if this was from the initial injuries but her tail was severely damaged. It had begun losing hair and was still bleeding and smelt really horrible. The vet said it looked like someone had slammed her tail in a door a couple times (her words). She ended up having to get about 1/2 her tail removed and the only explanation that we can think of is she hit it on the stair spindles which are thin and made of metal.

I don't know hot we could've avoided this short of crating her during the day. She detests the crate after a horrible Air Canada incident. She still wags her 1/2 a tail as enthusiastically as ever and it hasn't affected her swimming which was a concern for me because she loves swimming and is a strong swimmer. I was amazed at the damage that she could self inflict with her tail wagging but maybe I shouldn't be surprised, she has been known to knock pictures off of walls with her tail.

I guess you could try teaching her to stop this but I think it would be tough to do but definitely worth it. You do NOT want to come home to a dog with a mangled tail, believe me. IF your dog only does this when you come home, you can make it sit or lie down until it calms down enough to at least stop wagging it's tail like a "mad man".
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 03-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Banned

Take some pipe insulation or a pool noodle and make a protective "tail jacket" for the pooch.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 PM

Fixed it....painted all tbe walls red....lol, anything for my dog.