Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-18-2009, 03:16 PM

Default Spot and Stalk Spring Bear near Cold Lake...

We have been skunked twice in 400-402 in the recent past. I decided to try north a little later in the season. Is this a good idea? Is there lots of crown land in the area? How difficult is permission? I am just beginning to plan so please chime in with your tips and ideas to make this spring a successful one. We have been toying with the idea of baiting too. Dont know much about it but interested in learning. Thanks fellas, there is always lots of great help that comes from this board.

Later
Trev
Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM

Lots of bears and lots of crown land in the area. Do some footwork and talk to farmers in the fringe areas and you should have no trouble getting a bear.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:14 PM

I saw 3 in 15 minutes driving on the PLER road last fall.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM

If I was planning a spring spot and stalk hunt I would avoid the WMU's that are open to baiting. Hey you could still find a big bear on a cutline in any zone, but from what I have seen (hunting with baits and spot and stalk) your odds are better to find bears feeding naturally in a non-baiting area- especially in the spring.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
If I was planning a spring spot and stalk hunt I would avoid the WMU's that are open to baiting. Hey you could still find a big bear on a cutline in any zone, but from what I have seen (hunting with baits and spot and stalk) your odds are better to find bears feeding naturally in a non-baiting area- especially in the spring.

Hope that helps.
Thats a big X2 go west
Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 AM

We see an average of 14 bears in 3 -4 days of hunting in 349 347.And I mean every spring without fail.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclawman View Post
We see an average of 14 bears in 3 -4 days of hunting in 349 347.And I mean every spring without fail.
X2
Old 05-12-2009, 09:00 AM

Default Chomping at the bit

Well fellas we are headed for Marie Lake tomorrow afternoon to go bear hunting and I cant wait! The weather forecast looks to be pretty wet for the week we will be there but I am sure we will be alright. I sure am hoping for some success this spring as we have been skunked in previous years.
I am sure it's going to be great! I can hardly hide my excitement. Five days of fishing, hunting, ATV-ing and camping is as close to heaven as I have ever experienced. If any of you fellas have some tips you'd like to share, or you will be in the area would like to meet up with a fellow outdoorsman for some wobblies over the weekend please PM me. I am interested in learning some good ATV trails or good lakes to fish in the area or a spot of two to check out for briuns. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Later
Trevor W