Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
From the regs:

Fishing with Bait Fish

Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.

Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.
I interpret this to mean Carp is not a "bait fish" since its listed as an exception.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
Sorry, I couldn't tell you. I've never seen any in there, other than half digested in a trout's stomach. I have heard of quite a few people catching them while targeting trout, though.

Blood is quite a bit bigger than DeWitts, so my relatively uneducated guess would be Blood. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in.
Like a school of perch you can clearly make out the school of carp at Blood Indian. on your sonar. I have marked them several times but have yet to target them. I think this year once ice is off I will spend a little time hunting them down and seeing how easy or difficult it would be to cull a few out.

I too caught a number of rainbow last year with carp sticking out of their mouths.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM

It is amazing how well these particular fish are doing in Alberta. Like others mentioned, if they can stick to water bodies that aren't linked to other water systems it wouldn't be so bad but since they have moved to larger rivers in southern Alberta I think that is troublesome.

Who knows how this will impact the fisheries in Alberta in 20 years, but if the conditions over the last few years are any indications, this won't help the fisheries that are in trouble without this added pest.

So get on out there and keep on fishing!
Old 03-15-2016, 02:06 PM

Introduce 10 000 tiger musky to that lake and we'll be good
Old 03-15-2016, 02:24 PM

FlyTheory, you mean pike or something native to Alberta? Or are you trolling us?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:25 PM

Unfortunately some of the best methods for catching these critters are not permitted in Alberta waters, i.e Chumming! My champion Carping buddy from England hit up Blood late last summer and along with his Daughter hauled 60 of those fat little suckers out in an afternoon...talked with him and had no issue giving me the recipe. Simple 1/4 Oz slip weight rig with small, thin diameter circle hook and for the bait equal parts course corn meal and flour, half of that amount sugar and warm water till it forms a thick dough! Not even sure if that's legit, corn works too but he doesn't like using it when Trout are around. It may take an hour or so but if you have 4-5 guys all using the same bait when a school swings by you'll catch everyone of them, they won't go anywhere! Same rig and technique works for those monsters out at Last Mountain Lake...go gettum!!!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 PM

Interesting... the regs reflect a limit change from 5 to 3 at Blood. More interestingly, it appears as though browns and brookies were stocked! I wonder if they're tigers. Anyone been out there recently?

2017 Count:

Rainbow Trout: 230
Brook trout: 5
Brown trout: 1
Burbot: 1
Walleye: 23
Pike: 3
Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 AM

It looks like I'll be using my bowfishing gear after all in Alberta. I've been missing it horribly. If you like hunting, and fishing... You'll be hooked. Pretty frustrating to just watch carp swim right past your bait when just fishing. If you can see them, it's getting yanked out with an arrow!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhntr4life View Post
It looks like I'll be using my bowfishing gear after all in Alberta. I've been missing it horribly. If you like hunting, and fishing... You'll be hooked. Pretty frustrating to just watch carp swim right past your bait when just fishing. If you can see them, it's getting yanked out with an arrow!
You realize these carp are generally less than 12 in long, right? They're not the huge grass carp found in Manitoba and Ontario.

2017 Count:

Rainbow Trout: 230
Brook trout: 5
Brown trout: 1
Burbot: 1
Walleye: 23
Pike: 3
Old 04-13-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
You realize these carp are generally less than 12 in long, right? They're not the huge grass carp found in Manitoba and Ontario.
Sure do. I can shoot Texas Gar out of the water with a fish diameter of 2"-3"? It's like shooting at a large underwater pencil. "Aim small, miss small".

These would be challenging, but I'm up for it, capable, and able. I've been bowfishing since 12. It's a riot! Hopefully we can kill all these suckers before they get as large as the carp out east!
Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foshizzle13 View Post
FlyTheory, you mean pike or something native to Alberta? Or are you trolling us?
I was being facetious, I'd say even pike wont be able to eat everything.