Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper View Post
I can honestly say that even when I did buy factory loads, I never bought ammunition from either Walmart or Canadian tire.I would rather support the stores that carry firearms and offer firearms services,even if it costs me an extra few cents per shot.

True, enough. I'm new to all of this and Edmonton, so I just popped in these stores out of curiosity. Aside from Wholesale, where are some spots in Edmonton to go to?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=Stinky Coyote;95558]
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealj View Post
You guys are great, thanks for all the info. That 7mm-08 just seems to call my name. QUOTE]

Thats not what your hearing at all....i can hear it too and its saying tikka 270...honest.

haha....I must not be listening closely enough
Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 PM
stubblejumper

P&D is a good store to check out.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:26 PM

ever thought about 243. light kicking so practice wont bother you. ammo is pretty cheap and can be found almost anywhere. plus you can also use for smaller stuff like coyotes if you ever get into it. otherwise i would go with 270 win. you will never go wrong with that caliber.

dad
Old 01-11-2008, 08:32 PM

Default Get the 30-06

I would advise the Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06;

1. Rifle needs no tuning whatsoever right out of the box

2. 30-06 ammo is everywhere and in most any bullet weight or design that one could imagine and even some you might not.

3. Practice ammo can be purchased really cheap - as little as $13/box of 20.

4. If you ever want to hunt elk and moose you will not have to purchase another rifle (just some different ammo) - you will be familiar with the one you have.

5. I bought the exact same rifle in 30-06, put a 3x9 leupy on it, for my nephew -who has never shoot a rifle or any firearm before - and with about a half hour of instruction at the range he was knocking out 4 inch offhand groups at 100 m, no problem.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:04 PM

I tried 7mm rem mag in 24 inch and could not get near published velocity. I could not get paper accuracy at any speed faster than 30 06. I got rid of it at a loss just to be free. My 270 win always does what it says it will do and the 30 06 ditto with more reliable knock down. I would like to hear from others about the 7mm mg. I may have had a bad one.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:25 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I would like to hear from others about the 7mm mg. I may have had a bad one.
I have owned three 7mmremmags,and all would shoot sub MOA and all would make 3200fps with a 140gr bullet with a 24" barrel.Five hunting partners also own 7mmremmags with the same results.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 PM

Default 7mm

I agree with Stubble on this. I am getting 3050fps with a 150 grain TSX. This isn't pushed to the max either. I am shooting slightly larger than .5" groups. I had Rick from Alberta Tactical put a good pad on it and I have gone to the range and put 60 rounds through in a day without killing myself. I had a .270 as well as a 30-06 a few years back and I could not shoot either of them that much and still be able to carry my case back to the truck.
I love my 7mm.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:52 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
I had a .270 as well as a 30-06 a few years back and I could not shoot either of them that much and still be able to carry my case back to the truck.
A member of our club bought a ruger 77 ultralight in 270 win several years ago for his wife.The recoil was comparable to a normal weight 300win mag.He quickly traded off the rifle,without letting the wife shoot it.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:30 PM

Well I'm new to the forums here, and a new hunter as well, besides grouse with a pellet gun. I've been looking into deer hunting for a while, and am not exactly sure what I'm going to need, but I think as a new shooter I'm not going to be making long range shots (imo over 200 yards.) I'm not sure what my body can handle kick wise, but I'm 140 lbs and 5 6" and I know I don't flinch easily, so if some one can judge what caliber I could handle then please and thank you.
I want to try to spend roughly a little under a grand on a rifle set up.

Some guns that have caught my interest are the marlin 336c 30-30, mossberg atr long action in .270 and 30-06, and the savage 111 series and 110 series.

Other calibers that have caught my interest are the .243, and the 25-06.

One thing that I'm looking out for is factory ammunition prices, and of course when I'm taking my definition of a really long shot at 200 yards, I'm gonna want to drop them right there. I don't really want the speech on it's all about placement because I've heard it before, as long as the rifle can drop the animal right there, I'll learn to take care of the rest.

Also, please help me find an overall good set up, so if you find a rifle, explain which scope/mounts, how much that's going to cost and why, bla bla bla..

I know it's a lot to ask, but I just want to be informed and make a wise investment that will hopefully last me all my days of deer hunting.

Lastly if you haven't noticed, this is strictly for deer, I'll start larger game later on, MAYBE. Just not now :P
Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealj View Post
Hey guys, a little advice please. I'm going to be buying my first rifle (once pal arrives) and was wondering what you guys would suggest. The advice I get from my family is just buy the 30-06 and be done with it. Here is what I'm after

1. Will spend more time at the range then hunting
  2. Will be hunting strictly deer, will purchase something else for Ek/Moose in the future
  3. Prefer the look of synthetic/stainless
  4. 7mm-08 vs .308 is where I seem to be leading, wanting the 7mm-08 but scared about finding ammo and price ( live in Edmonton)
  5. Have short listed down to the Tikka T3 Lite and the Savage 16FLHSS ( open for other suggestions)

All my reading makes me want to buy a 7mm-08 and be done with it, but the ammo choices and price( for range, don't care about price for hunting) I read about scare me off a little. Thanks in advance
Nbr 1 708 or 2506
Nbr 2 708 or 2506
Nbr 3 708 or 2506
Nbr 4 Your choices and Sako A7/Ruger Hawkeye
Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Nbr 1 708 or 2506
Nbr 2 708 or 2506
Nbr 3 708 or 2506
Nbr 4 Your choices and Sako A7/Ruger Hawkeye
No help for me?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM

I just picked up a 7mm08 in a Stevens 200. Made by Savage. They are a fine shooting rifle. They are a no frills kinda look though. My .243 cal. Stevens 200 is capable of 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I can't see why this one wouldn't be. I like the 7mm family as they have a huge selection of bullets to choose from if you reload. If you don't reload, the 7mm08 is fairly common and you should be able to find ammo easily. I will be shooting 120 grain TSX bullets out of mine.
I think Leupold makes a good ring and base system. Definitely not the cheapest out there but let's not forget the gun is only $349.00.
I personally won't use a scope that isn't a Leupold but others have their own opinion. Leupold makes a great product and their warranty department is right here in Alberta. I would go with no less than a 3-9x40mm scope but again others have their own opinion on this too.
Does this help?
Old 05-15-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
You've almost nailed it on head...

caliber .270...perfect for deer to long ranges, flat enough too...and upper limit of 'not to heavy recoil' for range time!....then you can step up to a moose or an elk no prob also...there's your 'one gun' imo...
Yup, this is exactly what I'd say too. My go-to hunting rifle is a 270 WIN.

My only addition to the thread is if you don't like the feel of the Tikka (like me), shoulder a Remington 700 and see if that fits you better. The Remington gets a lot of negative comments here on this site by a few vocal posters but is the largest selling firearm make & model in North America by a wide margin. Furthermore, they shoot as well or better right out of the box...at least the 50 or more I have owned over 35 years all have. With the Remington SuperCell recoil pad that now comes standard and the nice adjustable trigger, it is hard to argue against the success of the 700. It comes in about a dozen different variants to cover any need. Prices are average, even cheaper than many. Mount a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm on top and you are set for life.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I just picked up a 7mm08 in a Stevens 200. Made by Savage. They are a fine shooting rifle. They are a no frills kinda look though. My .243 cal. Stevens 200 is capable of 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I can't see why this one wouldn't be. I like the 7mm family as they have a huge selection of bullets to choose from if you reload. If you don't reload, the 7mm08 is fairly common and you should be able to find ammo easily. I will be shooting 120 grain TSX bullets out of mine.
I think Leupold makes a good ring and base system. Definitely not the cheapest out there but let's not forget the gun is only $349.00.
I personally won't use a scope that isn't a Leupold but others have their own opinion. Leupold makes a great product and their warranty department is right here in Alberta. I would go with no less than a 3-9x40mm scope but again others have their own opinion on this too.
Does this help?
Yes sir it helps, my local hunting store, D&R Sports is usually overpriced (whole town complains bout it apparently.) I'm thinking go there and shoulder a few rifles for feel and order out of some catalog.
Is there a website with all the specs of the Stevens? I've looked on savage's website with no luck. On another note, what other calibers do they make for the particular model?
Old 05-16-2009, 01:56 PM

Well I've decided on the same model, but am CLUELESS on what ring/base combo to get, and what scope. I know leupold is reputable and has lifetime for most of their products I believe.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Try this link. It should take you right there.
http://www.savagearms.com/st_200long.htm
Old 05-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Try this link. It should take you right there.
http://www.savagearms.com/st_200long.htm
Thanks, I'm looking at Leupold mounting systems right now, and can't seem to find anything that will fit the Stevens 200, are the Stevens mounts a copy of another savage gun's mount? An example being if you had a Stevens 200 and a Savage 110, would the mount fit on the Stevens gun?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:17 AM

Now don't quote me on this but I believe they are the same as the 110. I went with a weaver base and the same bases are used for both guns.
That would tell me that they are drilled the same so the Leupold system should also match.
Be sure to double check before you buy.

Last edited by Cowtown guy; 05-17-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: So confusing even I was lost