Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-06-2016, 09:49 PM

Red face start trapping

I am very interested in learning the art of trapping and other then the license and course how would one get started like where to look for trapping area or trap line or people willing to teach one trapping after they get the proper licenses
Old 08-06-2016, 10:58 PM

There's slot of valuable info in the trapping course.....my suggestion would be to get that, line up some land and start resident trapping to learn a thing or 2 and make sure you get involved with your local. You'll meet people there who will be able to offer you advice and if your lucky possibly the opportunity to tag along on their line with them.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:15 PM
Banned

I think he is looking for some first hand knowledge/experience before having to fork over the $500 for the course., just wanting to tag along. Unless that is against someones law now as well.
It might be difficult for him/her to find someone to help , if they reside in the city, unless they know someone from out of town..
If this person wanted to PM me, maybe I could help someway..
Old 08-07-2016, 01:18 PM

Where is the op from ?
Old 08-07-2016, 09:37 PM
Banned

maybe .....Edmonton
Old 08-08-2016, 12:32 AM
Banned

Message me in mid-November if you want to see the work involved inside a skinning shed.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
maybe .....Edmonton
Hahaha nice. Thought the same thing.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:09 PM

Don't laugh sourdough I got my fingers slapped for having a tag along with me. I was told by the F&W officer that he needed a written note from the owner or would be charged for trespassing and if he did anything that was associated with trapping he would be charged with trapping without a licence. Talked to Gordy at the time and he said the officer was right.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Banned

Sometimes individual fur and feathers get a little full of themselves. If the tagalong was handling fur or was packing traps on the quad they were operating, there might be a case. It may have all been related in a "FYI" manner, hopefully it wasn't in a threatening sense.
We have a good group of guys over here but have had some jewels in the past that burnt lots of bridges. F&W can ill afford that being as short staffed as they are.
I assist them whenever called upon but don't relish them setting themselves above everyone else, especially when they put their own interpretation on things. FWIW..
Old 08-09-2016, 07:18 PM

Yes he was very professional and did this as a warning. He also pointed out that the duke 110s I was using had to be used as a drown set and could not be used as a kill trap set in the push-ups or house as they are not certified. Again very polite and as a warning.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
I think he is looking for some first hand knowledge/experience before having to fork over the $500 for the course., just wanting to tag along. Unless that is against someones law now as well.
It might be difficult for him/her to find someone to help , if they reside in the city, unless they know someone from out of town..
If this person wanted to PM me, maybe I could help someway..
hello thanks and I do live in Edmonton and am looking to see if I like it before shelling out money for the licenses as you mentioned I don't know anyone that trapper s or even owns land as I and fairly new to Edmonton
Old 08-14-2016, 03:18 PM

I am from Edmonton

[/CODE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
Where is the op from ?